Would I be crazy to buy a x800XL now?

jhokie

Limp Gawd
I've recently started working at circuit city, and I can get an 800XL 256 MB for 180$ bucks through ATI's employee purchase program. Would I be crazy to do this now?

Is there something way better right around the corner that I'd be better off waiting for, or are we talking near christmas for something of a simliar price that would blow the 800XL away?

My last graphics card purchase, an MSI 6600GT, burned out on me, still need to RMA that actually... But anyway, I was figuring this would be almost twice as fast, and at a great price.

What do yall think, should I do this now or wait and see what comes down the pipeline in the next few months with ATI's employee purchase program?

That is a great price, and you would be far from crazy for buying an x800 XL for $150.

I would think that ATI's Employee Purchase Program would be for ATi employees and not retail employees. We sell ATi cards where I work; how can I take advantage of this?

At $180, I say go for it. ATI, with them being ATI and all, will probably not get the R520's out in decent quantities and at a reasonable-enough price until September-Octoberish, possibly as late as Christmas. They're ATI, they can't help it. ;) Get the card and you'll be set for at least 6 months.

Jim, I'm not sure how you can access it, but at Circuit City we have a link to our benefits page, that lists various manufacturers we have deals with. ATI is one of them, and we simply print out a form, fill it out, check what we want, and fax it to ATI.

Unfortunately, we only get 1 graphics upgrade per year per employee :(

jhokie said:
Unfortunately, we only get 1 graphics upgrade per year per employee :(

Oh man.

1) You have a 6600GT, but need to RMA it.
2) You could get an X800XL for a super price, but
3) You can only buy one card per year

Dude, you're on your own - this is some sort of unsolvable riddle. Do you have a second computer?

For me it would come down to financial factors. I would buy it and tell the wife we needed new tires.

Get the X800xl now. RMA the 6600GT and sell the new one when it arrives. Put that money away for future vid card upgrade. If you can't use the X800 for a year (until such time that you can use your employee purchase plan again) and just have to get one of the new GPU's as soon as they arrive, then sell your X800 at that time and use the money from both cards toward your upgrade.

might wait till june 21 when g70 is announced.

at the least prices of older ati might go down.

Back