would having a physics card do anything for me?

GuNs-Wolf

n00b
ok I know i'm a total noob. I'm running a i7 920 oc'ed to 4.1 gig with 3 gig of memory. I have a single GTX480 vid card. I have a GTX 260 sitting in a box. Its my old Vid card. Would installing it as a physics card do anything for me? I primarly use this rig for Games and benchmarking when I get new hardware to try out. Any and all info woould be helpfull for me to understand what its for and how it works.

turning on physx in any physx powered games will not bring down your fps as much if you install the 260. Not all games support this, so many wont see any improvement.

Since you have the card, give it a shot. If you play games with physx then its worth trying out.

As Serpretetsky said!!
It should be used mainly to increase you rminimum FPS. The 260 should be a good complement for the 480 for PHYSX use. If you were running 2 GTX 580's it would be a different story. There is a point where a weaker card can be a bottleneck for the main cards if they have to wait for PHYSX to be processed on a card that is too slow.

Go ot the very bottom of this page and it has a chart that explain
s it all. http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps-eng/mafia-ii-public-demo-test-gpu.html

Last edited:
it would do something for you, add a ton of extra heat into your system!!! if you arent playing games that use physx then there is no point to add the 260 to your system.

well looking into it a little more I think I'll hold off. I will need a bigger power supply to make me feel safe with having the extra draw. the case heat isnt really a concern with my system since the radiator for the cpu cooling is totally outside the case and dosnt use any of the case airflow. But thanks for the info as I used all the replys to decide on weather to try this out.

sell it and upgrade your 3gb of ram
You might be able to get around $100 for your gtx 260
and $100 goes a long way in ram these days
12gb 1600mhz or 6gb 2000mhz

I'm pretty confused, do you have to SLI and set the gtx 260 as a physic only graphic card? Is that in the nvidia CP?

Wouldn't bother with the 2nd physx card, the GTX480 should be good enough without complications, heat, and extra power consumption of having the 2nd card in there.

sell it and upgrade your 3gb of ram
and $100 goes a long way in ram these days
12gb 1600mhz or 6gb 2000mhz

Doubt you'll get near $100 for a GTX260, maybe $55-60 shipped on the FS/FT forums if its a 216 core version. There have been GTX460's for $100 or less after rebate, so not many people will be lining up to pay $100 for a used, nearly 3 year old DX10 card.

Looking to use my 470 for a physX card once I decide what to get either sli 570 or a single 580

I was all about physx at one point, but now I think it is a flop.

It's funny to see the same paper flying effect from Batman in Crysis 2 without physx.

I was all about physx at one point, but now I think it is a flop.

It's funny to see the same paper flying effect from Batman in Crysis 2 without physx.

Yeah I heard from a lot of people on different forums say that PHYSX isnt all that and not worth it.Make me think of just going sli with my 470.

SO how did the gtx 470 do is physx? I want to do 4 gtx 470 or try to get gtx 580

I'm pretty confused, do you have to SLI and set the gtx 260 as a physic only graphic card? Is that in the nvidia CP?

No SLI and yes, it's in the nvcp. You can let it auto decide or you can force dedicate one card or the other.

Yeah I heard from a lot of people on different forums say that PHYSX isnt all that and not worth it.Make me think of just going sli with my 470.

The main game that I think uses physx best is Cryostasis. Otherwise though, it's nice to have, but it really does need to pick up.

Unless you play, or intend to play a game that makes use of the technology it's a complete waste.

Otherwise, I wouldn't spend extra money on getting a dedicated PhysX card simply because even the games that make use of it, it doesn't really provide that much of a better experiences. So I'd only use it should I have a card laying around, extra that I could use for one. Even then, I'm not sure I'd want the extra heat.

mj-laughing.gif

Back