would EVGA P2 650w be good enough for 3800?

Try it, if you box crashes everytime you start a game or gpu workload, sell it here and buy a new psu.

Worry about things when they happen.

I’m running a 1080ti, a 1660 super and a 2700x on a 650 Seasonic titanium for folding at home. It can be fine on a high quality psu, I’m just not sure how the EVGA stacks up to the Seasonic.

Tech Yes City ran an average 450 W bronze PSU overnight doing heavy benchmarking loops with a 3950X and 2080 Ti and it lasted several hours before it finally restarted the system. A 650 W should be plenty. If you are really superstitious you can always put a Long Duration Power Limit in the BIOS for your CPU.

I’m running a 1080ti, a 1660 super and a 2700x on a 650 Seasonic titanium for folding at home. It can be fine on a high quality psu, I’m just not sure how the EVGA stacks up to the Seasonic.

1080ti, 2600 ocd to 4.2ghz all core, 2 aios ran fine on a Seasonic 550 platinum
Same ^ but 9700kf was fine
1700x cod to 4ghz all core was fine.

FWIW, my R72700 stock and a slightly OC'd RTX2070 draw 310W playing control, according to my ups battery backup. That would be total off the wall.

7820x build, 128gb ram, 3 nvme drives, 1080ti, 6 ssd never drew even close to what psu calcs said it would it stress testing kubernetes clusters in intentional destructive fault testing.

The PSU has 2 8 PIN outputs. I know Nvidia is recommending 750w PSU... and the GPU has 320w TDP.

https://eu.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-P2-0650-X2

I'm planning to upgrad my son's PC, perhaps to 10700k build.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I might go for 10700 CPU... 65w

Should be fine with that CPU. I read somwhere they were specifying with a 10900K in mind (AKA worse case CPU).

The other big thing to look for is two separate 8 pin cables, not one of those that starts as a single 8 pin at the PSU and then branches to dual 8 pins later.

My new PSU has 4 x 8 PSU PCIe power connectors, but they start on the PSU as actually 2 x 8 pin connectors, that branch into 4. If supplying 300W+ load you want to use both cables and one connector form each. Not a single cable that branches.

So I think there is a chance for 650w users.

I'm planning on buying Asus TUF card and upcoming zen3 (4/8 core cpu).

What do you guys think? Based on the reviews you have seen.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09...bschnitt_rtx_3080_vs_rtx_2080_ti_bei_270_watt

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...x-3080-founders-edition-im-test.html?start=26

Seems like Nvidia cranked the TDP on these cards because they are afraid of AMD. If you are willing to give up about ~5% performance you can simply crank these down to ~250W power limit. I plan to run a 20GB 3080 or 3090 on a 450W PSU actually. I've been running a 9900K and a 2080 Ti on a 450W Platinum PSU for years with no issues with a 65W power cap on the 9900K and a 80% power target on the 2080Ti. With a 80% power target I only give up about 3% performance compared to stock according to 3D Mark Timespy Extreme scores.

Techyescity ran a 3950X and a 2080 Ti full tilt for like a day before it crashed on a 450 W Bronze PSU, and thats at stock settings.

I look at my power draw from the wall with my 9900K/2080 Ti setup on my wattmeter with my modified settings and it it doesn't even break 300W on load--typical usage with 4K gaming is 250W-270W total system consumption. With a little tweaking I'm sure I can run 3080 on my 450W with plenty of headroom, it probably will be at the ~320W range average consumption with a 250W power limit on the 3080. A 650W PSU should be absolutely fine.

Last edited:
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-09...bschnitt_rtx_3080_vs_rtx_2080_ti_bei_270_watt

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...x-3080-founders-edition-im-test.html?start=26

Seems like Nvidia cranked the TDP on these cards because they are afraid of AMD. If you are willing to give up about ~5% performance you can simply crank these down to ~250W power limit. I plan to run a 20GB 3080 or 3090 on a 450W PSU actually. I've been running a 9900K and a 2080 Ti on a 450W Platinum PSU for years with no issues with a 65W power cap on the 9900K and a 80% power target on the 2080Ti. With a 80% power target I only give up about 3% performance compared to stock according to 3D Mark Timespy Extreme scores.

Techyescity ran a 3950X and a 9900K full tilt for like a day before it crashed on a 450 W Bronze PSU, and thats at stock settings.

I look at my power draw from the wall with my 9900K/2080 Ti setup on my wattmeter with my modified settings and it it doesn't even break 300W on load--typical usage with 4K gaming is 250W-270W total system consumption. With a little tweaking I'm sure I can run 3080 on my 450W with plenty of headroom, it probably will be at the ~320W range average consumption with a 250W power limit on the 3080. A 650W PSU should be absolutely fine.

I’m sorry for stupid question but how do you do it ? Using afterburner? Lower voltage?

The other big thing to look for is two separate 8 pin cables, not one of those that starts as a single 8 pin at the PSU and then branches to dual 8 pins later.

I am not sure that i buy the need for separating into two separate cables unless you are running a 3080 variant that allows you to go way over basic power limits AND overclocking, and then maybe i would consider it. With 100% power limit and overclocking i would argue that as long as you are using a quality PSU the daisy chained cable should be fine. Why would they make a daisy chained cable it if was unable to fulfill its basic ratings for 8 pin for both ends?
Buildzoid from actually hardcore OC shows a test where he is running a veg64 with daisy chained PCIx cable and pulling 31-33A so roughly 400w which is gonna be almost worst case scenario for most 3080 setups. He showed that the cables were in no way getting too hot.

As for the general question 650W being enough i think in almost all scenarios it should be adequate as long as your PSU is not too old or a cheap model. We have seen at the wall usage for 3080 / 3950x being reported at around 550w so at 90% efficiency that is like 500w. on a 650w PSU this is only ~ 75% load so perfectly fine with perhaps elevated noise and still some headroom for basic OC. This all assumes stock settings so if you are doing crazy overclocks on CPU / GPU I would want to go 750w or 850w depending on CPU model. Definitely going higher W PSU will be beneficial in terms of fan noise due to how hard you are pushing the PSU.

EDIT: as for the daisy chained cable thing i will add that sure if you have the extra cables to spare its a better option to use 2 cables since its overall less load at the PSU side in one plug / spot. My point was more so that i don't think its bad or unsafe to use a single daisy chained cable as long as not doing a high overclock with greater than 100% power limit, and as long as you have a quality psu.

Last edited:
I’m sorry for stupid question but how do you do it ? Using afterburner? Lower voltage?

Use Afterburner and run OC Scanner, which increases clockspeed at each point of the voltage curve--this is effectively undervolting when combined with a lower power limit.

My GPU actually runs *cooler* after running OC Scanner because now the card is boosting to higher frequencies when the voltage is lower, and the voltage is capped by my lower power target.

Back