Would connecting a USB device directly to a motherboard header work?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
Quick explanation and question: have a USB DAC that is experiencing lots of noise, ruled out separate amp and narrowed down to the PC. Have been troubleshooting for hours and ready to try anything. DAC USB out is micro, so pulled out a MicroUSB-2.0 Header adapter, but figured I should ask first if there's any risk of damage or if it simply won't work.

No. There are no ICs, logic devices, diodes, resistors, etc inbetween a standard Mobo USB header and the USB port on your breakout.

If you get the right pins connected, it'll work just fine.

But with USB being a digital signal and the power feeds for the port coming straight from the motherboard, it's not likely that the cable your eliminating would be the source of the noise.

You're talking noise from the headphones/speakers you have connected to the DAC's analog out?

I fixed my noisy motherboard's sound by hooking an Optical Ground-Loop Isolater between the analog out and the speakers.

This is the one I used, on a PC that only does video game music. You can find higher-quality ones, but this would be a cheap test.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B019393MV2

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah op you can do this, that's why they make the adapter you got. but I think I just need a ferrite choke or the fancy one Def. just listed ^.

No. There are no ICs, logic devices, diodes, resistors, etc inbetween a standard Mobo USB header and the USB port on your breakout.
there doesn't need to be, its all on the mobo. this is no different that connecting front panel usb ports.

You're talking noise from the headphones/speakers you have connected to the DAC's analog out?

I fixed my noisy motherboard's sound by hooking an Optical Ground-Loop Isolater between the analog out and the speakers.

This is the one I used, on a PC that only does video game music. You can find higher-quality ones, but this would be a cheap test.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B019393MV2
i bet that's just a ferrite choke in a fancy package and that (choke) is all he probably needs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Supermicro-X9SCM-F-SATA-Ports-and-USB.jpg

Super micro has done it for years.

ah perfect thnx! OP you want to connect to the header pins right? usb doesn't care if its pins or ports as long as its wired correctly.

upload_2018-3-20_12-49-43.png

USB type A built into the mainboard is basically intended for flash drives that will always remain in place, which would be useful for instance if you're booting VMWare ESXi. If you're connecting something that will be hanging out the back of the system (such as as a USB audio adapter, or keyboard or mouse) you really don't want to go in that direction because you risk damaging something if something gets knocked or tugged the wrong way.

Back