would anyone buy the sniper x58 board

Wow. Nice looking board with a great layout and a gimmicky cooling system. At $300 I'd consider it at $449.99 I can tell you I'll most likely never own one.

Fix the link.
I'm actually looking into an x58 board simply because I need 24 Gb of RAM (4Gb x 6) and none of the current P67 boards support triple channel and who knows if they even have such a beast in the works. Arrgg!
This one is insanely priced though!

Why do you need triple channel memory?

Because dual channel boards usually only have 4 slots so getting the 24 gb of ram would be difficult.

Tark

Exactly Thanks. I have 6 sticks of 4 GB g.skill to be used in running virtual machines in VMware Workstation for testing and I have to consider going with x58. I was hoping LGA-1356 would have more news on it but it seems to be dead.

I guess my question would be, what does that board do that another X58 doesn't? And is that difference worth the higher cost?

If it is just for the look, then I think I would say no. If it does something special, some cool feature or tool that is very useful... (and if money isn't an object) then yes.

Fix the link.
I'm actually looking into an x58 board simply because I need 24 Gb of RAM (4Gb x 6) and none of the current P67 boards support triple channel and who knows if they even have such a beast in the works. Arrgg!
This one is insanely priced though!

The P series chipsets are always dual channel... P55, P67 etc.

The X58 was designed around the server Xeon platform and thus has triple channel.

There's a trade off unfortunately, the clock for clock on similarly priced processors are slower for LGA 1366 than 1155... but you gain the full x16 dual PCIe lanes as well as tripple channel memory.

The other trade off is the 6Gbit Marvell SATA connection. The native Intel 6Gbit is only available on the Intel Series 6 Chipsets.

So in short, if you need tripple channel RAM, native dual x16 PCIe lanes, and only have a SATA II SSD... then go for it.

Your other option is to go for a higher end P67 board and OC your RAM timings.

I already own an awesome soon to obsolete x58 mb. :(

I guess my question would be, what does that board do that another X58 doesn't? And is that difference worth the higher cost?

If it is just for the look, then I think I would say no. If it does something special, some cool feature or tool that is very useful... (and if money isn't an object) then yes.

Killer NIC
X-Fi audio

Other than that, I don't know of too much it does that others don't.

Killer NIC
X-Fi audio

Other than that, I don't know of too much it does that others don't.

If it's a real Creative X-Fi in hardware and the Killer NIC is a real one instead of a software solution, that's one thing as those items separately are about $200.00. As for the value they actually bring to the table, that's another discussion entirely.

It is a fine board for sure but its late to the game ,overpriced for most people, theme is a marvell superhero cartoon theme ..the gun magazine is just too much...
win in a contest, someone dies and leaves me the board, died before he installed it, these are the only reasons ill end up with that board...feature wise is great,performance wise its great too..
its just too over the top for me..i had a link yesterday to a giga x58 o/clockers board with orange and black color theme and it looked wicked...looked to me it was going to compete with the asus r3e extreme or the giga ud7....im waiting to see it released...it will kill sales of this other assassin series boards ,imo....im telling you it looked awsome....

It is a fine board for sure but its late to the game ,overpriced for most people, theme is a marvell superhero cartoon theme ..the gun magazine is just too much...
win in a contest, someone dies and leaves me the board, died before he installed it, these are the only reasons ill end up with that board...feature wise is great,performance wise its great too..
its just too over the top for me..i had a link yesterday to a giga x58 o/clockers board with orange and black color theme and it looked wicked...looked to me it was going to compete with the asus r3e extreme or the giga ud7....im waiting to see it released...it will kill sales of this other assassin series boards ,imo....im telling you it looked awsome....

Oh, so you weren't thinking of buying it. Do you have a link to the Giga board? I tried to find it via Google but couldn't.

Last edited:
all i know is if theirs one thing i don't like its a gimmick.

and that Bord looks like one so ill pass,as for the rest of the hardware on the mobo
anything integrated imho means sub par quality to what add in hardware is but is still good to have as a plain "B" option.
like the integrated sound i would replace asap if i had a mobo like that.
and don't count on that ever happening.

i like my mobos to look like server mobos meaning computer hardware, not cheap tacky eye candy just for flash factor to impress 16 year old cardboard cutout friends.

If it's a real Creative X-Fi in hardware and the Killer NIC is a real one instead of a software solution, that's one thing as those items separately are about $200.00. As for the value they actually bring to the table, that's another discussion entirely.

It's a real creative xfi chip with special capacitors and a real killer nic on it. Given that any motherboard I buy I'm going to drop a 100 buck sound card in there and an intel nic it's not that bad for the price.

What attracts me to it is that since it has an actual xfi and an actual killer nic on it, I have all my slots free for other items, SLI and a RAID card to be specific.

Now granted, I'd rather have a dedicated audio solution that's not creative, and I'd rather have an intel nic than a killer nic, but that's still two slots that are now free and it's an actual hardware solution.

IMHO, other than their choice of creative + bigfoot (they could have picked better products) and the horrible cooling solution (really now? but we all now gamer = bling for the PC, PC gaming is like making ricer cars now) it's not a bad product at all.

^^^ you said it guy..we are adults here mostly,know what were doing, not looking for a superman theme on a friggin motherboard...give me a great motherboard with well designed heatsinks or heatpipes, price it right and sales would exceed expectations

+1
Agreed ~ sd11: wesleys_dad

As well imho if you want a killer nic just go get a old school t100 full hardware nic .
Hardware requirements
Dx2 33mgz cpu | command line | 640k ram | pci slot.
Doesn't get more killer then that.100% hardware.

Its probably just as good as the kill nic your talking about that is if its what i think your talking about.
Hemm id like to see a shootout my self on that topic with only ping and connection stability being benched not max bandwidth. For shore a t100 will get owned by a t1000 that's a given but what about the killer nic ? douse it work at the command line on a computer with say 640k ram in Linux or something ? that's a shoot out review i wouldn't mind reading..

And im a 3com man my self but its all good i hear what your saying sd11

One things for shore, christ if i start seeing Pokemon squirrels crawling out of my computer case im going to have a psychosis.

Pointless link don't click on it!

^^^ you said it guy..we are adults here mostly,know what were doing, not looking for a superman theme on a friggin motherboard...give me a great motherboard with well designed heatsinks or heatpipes, price it right and sales would exceed expectations

The heatsinks are fail, but let's look past that.

Any board I buy is going to get a dedicated RAID card, dedicated NIC, dedicated sound card, dedicated GPU... and shit there goes 4 slots. :mad: The NIC and the sound card alone are going to break 200 bucks. Now here is a board with dedicated hardware solutions to two of those, even uses high end proper audio caps, and IIRC the higher end version has dedicated RAM for the NIC.

While I do not agree in with their choice of hardware solutions, it's is a hardware solution. That frees up the PCIE slots for GPU's and other items.

This is a step, and a big one, in the right direction.

I'd either like a board with no nic, no sound, and let me slap in what I want, and don't charge me for junk. Or, if you are going to include it, do it with a hardware solution and charge a fair price, this does that, although again, I wouldn't pick creative or killer.

In an ideal world I'd just want USB 3.0 at the back with a PS2 port for KVM, because I'm not going to be using any of the other crap onboard ports most companies use.

Now you know why i don't care about SLI topic.
It takes over too much space!
One single water cooled 580 Ultra with 2 gigs ram {water cooled + overclocked} is all i need.
And with water cooling the water block takes over way less space the air based :p
You know atm a card like that is $500,and i wouldn't even get it seeing as $500 today means $100 tomorrow on cregslist in one years time.
Meaning ill get one cheaper with more pimp it overclock head room, meaning pay less get more tactic.
When im looking at video cards my self im all ways looking at the how much of a percentage of overclock i can get out of it, not just how fast is it.
You know their have bin cards in the past were you could all most 2x the speed on the things vs base speed,i live that shit!:cool:

Mobo should have a total of 7 slots {use to be 8 in the AT years} if the mobo in question doesn't i don't want it.
Real pain of late i find is finding the right mix of slots on a mobo and its a real bitch imho.
My self id take 3 pci-e 16x 3 normal pci and one pci-e 8x and i want my full ps2 support some p-ata {2 drives max} lots of s-ata, one serial ports and parallel port.

meaning with one video card i should have at lest 3 normal pci left 1 pci-e 16x left {two if im lucky} and one 8x pci-e

Someone like you will probably want less old school pci and more pci-e{best guess}
Thing is i want the old school pci cus i can find way grate pci cards on cregslist for cheap including but not limited to a top of the line sound blaster x-fi sound card or hardware based raid card.

As for the killer NIC, depends imho what you want it for,if were talking for a internet connection that's were the old school NIC are good seeing as they have hardware based error correction meaning faster pings less packet drops and a t100 or 100Mbps 12,500 KB\s 12.5 MB\s is more then most need for their internet connection for home use.
{cost $10 max used}

And imho this link is a wast of space for the price their asking and what it will change in the real world.

As for file shearing on your net work.
My self i have twin networks, seeing as i don't like having a internet connection + file sharing on the same cable ,meaning all ports under 1024 but 80 are blocked on the internet connection.
But that's just me.;)
Meaning you need twin lan cards for this kind of setup on all computers & piles of lan cable :rolleyes:

So really if your lucky with a water cooled video card{that takes over less space then air} you should still have 5 slots to play with, 6 if your really lucky but the one closest to the video card its more or less a given the min theirs a video card in their the slot just below it becomes useless.
inno3d_ichill_gtx_295_black_series_graphic_card-300x199.jpg

my self id still take integrated sound but crappy sound just as a backup if and when needed but for the most part ill probably never use it.
For external hdd's just use eS-ATA, imho its the way to go atm :D

eS-ATA should be 100% hardware based if i haven't missed my guess.
But if were talking integrated crap you know the deal here, same old same old.
And last i checked usb is mostly software based {yuck} and is cheap to implement but acts like a vampire vs system resources and of cores acts like software based hardware all ways douse,meaning lame {80% software ~ 20% hardware based} error correction is crap on it too as are reaction times just like software based anything all ways is.

And ill take full ps2 support my self,its why if and when i would to get my hands on a i5 2500k ill get a asrock or gigabyte mobo my self,that seem to be setting up their slots in a better way then most mobo company of late imho.

That is unless AMD makes a move,it be nice really cus im not big on the integrated video on the inlet chips as well and the hardware based DRM crap they keep trying to sneak in.

Warning: Intel Trusted Execution Technology - Intel \Sandy Bridge Hardware Level DRM, Remote activated cpu suicide\Killswitch.

DRM is an acronym for Digital Rights Management. -_-

Long story short
Any board I buy is going to get a dedicated RAID card, dedicated NIC, dedicated sound card, dedicated GPU... and shit there goes 4 slots.
You still have one more slot {maybe 2} keep going :D lets add more crap in their *winks*

And maybe something with blue accents... yeah.... black and blue, that'll be cool. :D

Back