Would any of you recommend following the following guides on How to write an OS Kernel?

Would any you recommend following the following guides on How to write an OS Kernel? Especially the the one that actually tells you how to write a 32-bit kernal and the one that sorta tells you how to write a 64-bit kernal, but not the one that tells or says it tells how to make a microkernel for an ARM processor. You're probably wondering why I want to write my own kernal, which is that every Linux, GNU, BSD, or Open Source operating system has something it doesn't do for me. This is especially true of Debian, which doesn't seem to have any security out of the box.

It's also especially true of MINIX because it doesn't seem modern enough, which I couldn't even get installed because my computer couldn't read the disc and the optical disc wasn't even scratched considering I just made it prior to the installation. The same goes for the Minix flash drive to when I booted from it after write the image to USB flash with disks in Ubuntu even though I could have used the dd command. The other problem with Minix is that I don't have a RAID card driver for it.

I can't even afford Oracle Linux anymore or Redhat even though I never actually used Redhat Enterprise Workstation or Server and just used CentOS instead. I don't like OpenSUSE if not SUSE because I read it can't support multi-boot or whatever with Windows even though I don't like Windows because Windows 10 forces my computer to reboot and forces me to have to use the boot repair feature of the WIndows 10 installation disk considering I have changed grub yet to make Windows first boot. Even if I did make Windows first boot it still might mess things up though and I couldn't do it because my keyboard kept typing an O instead whatever character I was trying to type in command line to edit grub from a live cd. I wasn't using dvorak instead of qwerty either so I don't know why it did that, but I bought a normal PS/2 keyboard and used a USB mouse with a USB to PS/2 adapter to a PS/2 to USB Y-cable considering only one top USB port works on the back of my computer and I didn't have a PS/2 mouse to just plug into the Y-splitter.

Anyway here are the links, so you can tell me what you think of these guides and if I should continue learning more about Assembly as well as C first if not more about how to write a kernel or operating system. If you have an books you would recommend on writing a kernal or operating system please suggest them in your response and I will look into them. I only have one final thing to say about this and that is is it really just as simple as changing the following in the assembly file below the first line to bits 64 or does it require a lot more work than that to make it support 64-bit:

;;kernel.asm
bits 32; ;;nasm directive = 32 bit

One more thing I tried using Ubuntu Server too, but it give the error: "Unable to mount CD" partially though the installer. Therefore, I had to do something weird, which was use Ubuntu Desktop instead and it works great. However, Ubuntu Desktop doesn't include all the server programs during the install or can't because it's intended for the Desktop. I know how to use CentOS, but I really want to use a Debian Distro and I don't know of any other good Debian Distros for the Server. Personally I'm kinda torn between using Ubuntu and using CentOS though because Ubuntu does everything I want it to do and CentOS is what you taught me, but Ubuntu is giving me problems with installing things and CentOS doesn't do everything I want. The problems Ubuntu is giving me are with things, like installing Nagios and MySQL. However, I just needed to know if any of you recommended those guides for how to write a kernel even though that might be way out of my league and I should probably just focus on using an Operating System instead of trying to right my own or my own kernel for now. Here are the Links:

http://www.embedded.com/design/oper...M-based-embedded-operating-system-microkernel

and

http://wiki.osdev.org/Creating_a_64-bit_kernel

and

http://arjunsreedharan.org/post/82710718100/kernel-101-lets-write-a-kernel

I need a server and desktop Operating System that basically does what Ubuntu or Redhat do for the desktop and Server if not more. I pretty happy with Ubuntu except I can't get the Server Distrubution to install on my server for the reasons mentioned and I can't afford Redhat, which leaves me only about three choices. The choices are to use Ubuntu Desktop instead of Server and Use CentOS or Fedora Server for my server. As for the desktop or my laptop Ubuntu Desktop or Linuxmint Debian seem to be working just fine for me except Linuxmint Debian doesn't have very good documentation that I can download or print considering it's not as detailed as Ubuntu's. Finally I would just like to contribute more to the programming and Operating System Community especially the Freedom Respecting or Open Source Communities.

cleardot.gif

Oh my... You can't work past basic issues in OSes that thousands of people manage to make work, and you are going to go write your own kernel? What are you going to do for the userland stuff, because most of these complaints have nothing to do with the kernel, you going to write all that too? Are you going to write your own boot loader too?

Have you ever heard "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools" or “It's the Indian, not the arrow”?

But alright go for it, i think your best shot to get this done is to just pull stuff out of /dev/random until you get something that works.

# dd if=/dev/urandom of=kernel.out bs=1024 count=1024

There has to be a kernel in there some where I just know it. I would do it my self but im busy fishing for a best selling book in my /dev/urandom.

It sounds to me like your issues are with the boot manager... not the os and for sure not the kernel.

I am honestly not sure what you expect you are going to do... the Linux kernel has had billions spent on its development by 100s of companies and 1000s of individuals. It was estimated almost 10 years ago that it would cost any one company almost 2 billion dollars to build a Linux like Kernel from scratch at that point... in todays dollars and compared to the current kernel I could only imagine it would be closer to 10. The kernel is however 100% free to use and abuse... if you wish to create your own distro you can easily download all the Linux kernel code and compile your own, free to add or remove code as you wish.

You can also look at less mainstream distros that are easier to compile yourself in whatever way you want. Arch and Gentoo are both popular with programmers that honestly want to get their hands dirty. You will still have to do some reading and come up with a boot loader that works for your install setup.

If you are a half decent programmer by all means get involved with the various Linux or BSD projects, even their kernel development if you have the chops and the time.

You can't troubleshoot the Ubuntu server installation process and now you want to make your own kernel....

What's to troubleshoot? The installer says CD won't mount and it was a freshly burnt installation disc. Also, known of you offered any advice that would really help me overcome this issue either. The only thing that might help is to write the ISO to USB flash with either disks, the dd command, or some other image writer and if that's the case how does that fix the issue with a uninstallable Operating System from Optical Media other than by using a different storage device to install it with if that even helps. I minored in programming too not computer science or computer science and engineering too, but at least I'm looking in to other ways to solve my issue. When it comes to writing my own Operating System this was one of the first things I stumbled across in the process of even doing anything at that low of a level or whatever.

Honestly though I would just like to know how I could write my own kernel at least and the Computer Science book I read by HARIPRASATH P didn't really seem to tell me how, so I haven't found the answer yet and the only things I may have gotten out of that book is that HTML might be an important part of making the GUI if not a little more that if you include why we even need computers.

Last edited:
Writting your own Kernel or OS is a science project for an advanced computer programming student. >.< Frankly if you have to read "how to write a kernel" out of a book you won't be able to. There is a very good reason NO commercial company making anything tech in the world is writing their own kernel code. (its extremely complicated and technical and one error means complete failure) Writing your own kernel is akin to making your own home brew CPU in your garage. Yes you can buy kits to build one, or you can do it yourself... but its going to be the size of a small typewriter at best and have less power then your watch. Ditto for your own kernel you may be able to make one yourself that can handle very very basic functions that may run, but it won't be any substitute for Kernels that have had Billions of developer hours poured into them over the years.

As for your Installer issue... well ya if you have a funky DVD drive that won't mount for whatever reason. Yes seems you found the problem... and USB install would be likely the easy solution. You could further trouble shoot the drive if you really want to install the slower way for some reason I guess.

What's to troubleshoot? The installer says CD won't mount and it was a freshly burnt installation disc. Also, known of you offered any advice that would really help me overcome this issue either. The only thing that might help is to write the ISO to USB flash with either disks, the dd command, or some other image writer and if that's the case how does that fix the issue with a uninstallable Operating System from Optical Media other than by using a different storage device to install it with if that even helps. I minored in programming too not computer science or computer science and engineering too, but at least I'm looking in to other ways to solve my issue. When it comes to writing my own Operating System this was one of the first things I stumbled across in the process of even doing anything at that low of a level or whatever.

Honestly though I would just like to know how I could write my own kernel at least and the Computer Science book I read by HARIPRASATH P didn't really seem to tell me how, so I haven't found the answer yet and the only things I may have gotten out of that book is that HTML might be an important part of making the GUI if not a little more that if you include why we even need computers.

The issue is that you don't 'mount' any install media. You chuck the disc in, boot off it and the installer runs. So what you're experiencing is something you've done and has nothing to do with Ubuntu. Seriously, you can't get much simpler than installing Ubuntu.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/install-ubuntu-server

Download the .iso, burn it to disc using Brasero, insert disc in optical drive, change boot settings to optical drive, boot disc. It's no different to the installation of anything else! I offered you advice earlier on in the thread in question, I said 'burn new boot media as yours is obviously stuffed!'

Last edited:
It does not even mater if you have desktop ubuntu installed instead of server, they can have the same packages, if anything server comes with less packages out of the box.
what is so hard about.
# sudo apt-get install mysql-server
# sudo apt-get install nagios3
to get your mysql and nagios installed? There is even a "mysql_secure_installation" script to help secure it for you.

These are basic type problems that you need to learn how to work past if you are going to work in this field. Don't spend your time jumping form OS to OS, distro to distro, in hopes that you are going to find some quick magical fix, it is not going to happen. Pick one distro, learn how to use it, learn it well, and you will find you can move to the other distros with just a little bit of effort. All this jumping around with distros trying to find the magic easy button you are waisting time learning the differences in the distros instead of say learning about how linux actually works so you can get better at getting past these problems on your own. Yeah yeah, you did it on centos 5 before... its clear you did not really understand what you were doing at the time because you would not be running in to all these problems. While it has changed over the years it has not changed to the point that you should be totally lost. So stop making excuses and just pick something and learn it.

PS. seriously no more about the oracle/redhat support contract. If you need a support contract to run your home box you aren't cut out for this, and if you had any experience in the real world on this stuff you would know that dealing with the vendor is the last thing you want to be doing.

Scharf's peculiar requests stem from the fact that he's outsourcing his computer science homework to this forum (and probably a few others).

I think trying to help him at this point is beyond futile if he's not willing to do his own learning.

It does not even mater if you have desktop ubuntu installed instead of server, they can have the same packages, if anything server comes with less packages out of the box.
what is so hard about.
to get your mysql and nagios installed? There is even a "mysql_secure_installation" script to help secure it for you.

These are basic type problems that you need to learn how to work past if you are going to work in this field. Don't spend your time jumping form OS to OS, distro to distro, in hopes that you are going to find some quick magical fix, it is not going to happen. Pick one distro, learn how to use it, learn it well, and you will find you can move to the other distros with just a little bit of effort. All this jumping around with distros trying to find the magic easy button you are waisting time learning the differences in the distros instead of say learning about how linux actually works so you can get better at getting past these problems on your own. Yeah yeah, you did it on centos 5 before... its clear you did not really understand what you were doing at the time because you would not be running in to all these problems. While it has changed over the years it has not changed to the point that you should be totally lost. So stop making excuses and just pick something and learn it.

PS. seriously no more about the oracle/redhat support contract. If you need a support contract to run your home box you aren't cut out for this, and if you had any experience in the real world on this stuff you would know that dealing with the vendor is the last thing you want to be doing.

There's nothing difficult about using those commands to install mysql or nagios because that's what I did and all I had to do was update my instructions to mention the changes when moving to Ubuntu and the changes from moving up to CentOS 7.3 from CentOS 5.x and 6.x as well as 7.0 and 7.2. I'm not jumping from OS to OS, distro to distro, in hopes that I'm going to find some quick magical fix. I simply went from Windows Server 2016, which made it obvious as to how to install the RAID card driver to Ubuntu Server, but when I couldn't get the installer to complete because of the apparent CD mounting issue I went to Ubuntu Desktop. I know I could just burn another copy of Ubuntu Server with Brasero or K3b, but seriously how is that going to help when during the process of buring Ubuntu Server I had just finished burning a fresh copy with Brasero. I printed the documentation for Ubuntu, CentOS, and SUSE, but I only used Ubuntu on my 4U server and CentOS on my test server. I have not given up on Ubuntu, even though I'm having the most trouble with it because of Server and DNS resolution if nothing else. I'm not jumping around, but simply studying and looking at other OSes and Linux Distros simply to see why I wouldn't want to use them either. I know there isn't a magic button and I'm not expecting that just at a loss as to why I can't find answers to my problem on the internet or in the documentation if not the books, but beyond why things don't work the way they are supposed to is something I have a problem with too.

After all I'm not a hacker, which is why you can't expect me to get around the support contract for Oracle/redhat because it's probably not going to happen unless I find the answer on the internet or start collecting Certified Ethical Hacker books, which I haven't yet and maybe I should that way I can stop thinking about how things should work or what I should be doing and just make it work. I didn't learn Ubuntu in College or before especially not on my own and if I had learned it on my own I would have been even more lost as to, which way is the correct way to do things in Ubuntu or any other Linux distro or OS because it's even harder to learn the right way on your own. Believe me I know how hard it can be to learn on my own because I had tons of books pirated from torrents on how to program and some pirated IDE's, such as Visual Studio and the combination of not being properly educated and using pirated software that can't be validated properly didn't work so well no matter how I try to explain it considering it was just a total disaster compared to how I'm doing now even if it doesn't seem much better to you if no one else on here.

I've stuck with Ubuntu for months now and I've had nothing, but problems with it on my server for whatever reason, but it works fine on my laptop though. I've used or installed and configured a lot of features for it too, but it doesn't matter because none of it helped my server run or work properly even if it worked at first and now it doesn't. I even just tried to make it a gaming server and that's not going so well either and i'll explain why in the "How can restore my servers internet connection? thread.

I said it before and I will say it again. https://linuxacademy.com/ or https://www.pluralsight.com/

Both are cheap and will teach you how to do this stuff.

I can't even afford Oracle Linux anymore or Redhat even though I never actually used Redhat Enterprise Workstation or Server and just used CentOS instead. I don't like OpenSUSE if not SUSE because I read it can't support multi-boot or whatever with Windows even though I don't like Windows because Windows 10 forces my computer to reboot and forces me to have to use the boot repair feature of the WIndows 10 installation disk considering I have changed grub yet to make Windows first boot. Even if I did make Windows first boot it still might mess things up though and I couldn't do it because my keyboard kept typing an O instead whatever character I was trying to type in command line to edit grub from a live cd. I wasn't using dvorak instead of qwerty either so I don't know why it did that, but I bought a normal PS/2 keyboard and used a USB mouse with a USB to PS/2 adapter to a PS/2 to USB Y-cable considering only one top USB port works on the back of my computer and I didn't have a PS/2 mouse to just plug into the Y-splitter.
cleardot.gif

I don't know what you are talking about. I am currently as I type this on a computer that is Dualbooting OpenSUSE and Windows 10... I was dual booting Fedora(Redhat) and Windows 10 but Fedora broke VMWare Workstation a while back and I just never bothered to go back.

If you want a good "turn key" Debian distro, I would recommend MX-16. It has much of the setup work done for you and tools to install your video card and such to keep you from getting off into the weeds.

https://mxlinux.org/download-links

I said it before and I will say it again. https://linuxacademy.com/ or https://www.pluralsight.com/

I don't know what you are talking about. I am currently as I type this on a computer that is Dualbooting OpenSUSE and Windows 10... I was dual booting Fedora(Redhat) and Windows 10 but Fedora broke VMWare Workstation a while back and I just never bothered to go back.

If you want a good "turn key" Debian distro, I would recommend MX-16. It has much of the setup work done for you and tools to install your video card and such to keep you from getting off into the weeds.

Thanks I'll try it in a VM first, but I'm really looking for a Server OS I like for Linux. I like Ubuntu Server, SUSE, CentOS, and Fedora, but if I could get Ubuntu Server working I would like it the most probably because it's features and support appeal the most to me. While CentOS and Fedora are Redhat based distros and I learned CentOS, so either or those would be easier for me to learn and master. However, SUSE is like a cross between Redhat and it's own thing, which I don't know if I like it. However, SUSE is also very feature packed and well documented, but it uses a lot of paper to print the documentation though or several if not just a few reams of paper or more. I like Debian, but it seems to lack any security features out of the box and I don't think I like that even if it is freedom respecting.

I was basically saying though that Windows 10 gives me nothing, but problem when dual or multi-booting when not the first to boot and I couldn't edit grub to fix it because Linux or the Live Linux CD didn't like my keyboard for some reason. I've had the same problem with Linux for college with a dell optiplex 755 and a microsoft digital media keyboard because Linux didn't like its special keys in run level 2 for CentOS 5.x, since it kept recognizing normal keys as special characters instead and I figured this out when I got to the school and used there dell brand keyboard. It didn't matter if the dell keyboards were mechanical either, but it mattered that they didn't have special multi-media or function keys because run level 2 like it better considering it didn't type in special characters when using normal keys.

Writting your own Kernel or OS is a science project for an advanced computer programming student. >.< Frankly if you have to read "how to write a kernel" out of a book you won't be able to. There is a very good reason NO commercial company making anything tech in the world is writing their own kernel code. (its extremely complicated and technical and one error means complete failure) Writing your own kernel is akin to making your own home brew CPU in your garage. Yes you can buy kits to build one, or you can do it yourself... but its going to be the size of a small typewriter at best and have less power then your watch. Ditto for your own kernel you may be able to make one yourself that can handle very very basic functions that may run, but it won't be any substitute for Kernels that have had Billions of developer hours poured into them over the years.

As for your Installer issue... well ya if you have a funky DVD drive that won't mount for whatever reason. Yes seems you found the problem... and USB install would be likely the easy solution. You could further trouble shoot the drive if you really want to install the slower way for some reason I guess.

Thanks I'll try USB install instead and I'm sure I might have a blank USB flash to test this with too. I'll have to use USB for both the installer and the RAID card driver, but I'll manage. I still would like to know or try to make an Operating System or kernal though if it would help in any way possible for others, but I went the route of Network Administration and now I'm in Organizational Supervision because things were no longer working out due to financial issues and my academic performance.

Thanks I'll try it in a VM first, but I'm really looking for a Server OS I like for Linux. I like Ubuntu Server, SUSE, CentOS, and Fedora, but if I could get Ubuntu Server working I would like it the most probably because it's features and support appeal the most to me. While CentOS and Fedora are Redhat based distros and I learned CentOS, so either or those would be easier for me to learn and master. However, SUSE is like a cross between Redhat and it's own thing, which I don't know if I like it. However, SUSE is also very feature packed and well documented, but it uses a lot of paper to print the documentation though or several if not just a few reams of paper or more. I like Debian, but it seems to lack any security features out of the box and I don't think I like that even if it is freedom respecting.

I was basically saying though that Windows 10 gives me nothing, but problem when dual or multi-booting when not the first to boot and I couldn't edit grub to fix it because Linux or the Live Linux CD didn't like my keyboard for some reason. I've had the same problem with Linux for college with a dell optiplex 755 and a microsoft digital media keyboard because Linux didn't like its special keys in run level 2 for CentOS 5.x, since it kept recognizing normal keys as special characters instead and I figured this out when I got to the school and used there dell brand keyboard. It didn't matter if the dell keyboards were mechanical either, but it mattered that they didn't have special multi-media or function keys because run level 2 like it better considering it didn't type in special characters when using normal keys.

I guess this is where I point out that Ubuntu server is basically more friendly Debian and Debian itself is designed to be a server OS...

And why are you printing the documentation? man command... man.

ROFLMAO Debian has no security features. Maybe you have heard of Tails OS? The most secure linux distro you can get out of the box.. To the point of being called a national security threat... Guess what it is based on...

I guess this is where I point out that Ubuntu server is basically more friendly Debian and Debian itself is designed to be a server OS...

And why are you printing the documentation? man command... man.

ROFLMAO Debian has no security features. Maybe you have heard of Tails OS? The most secure linux distro you can get out of the box.. To the point of being called a national security threat... Guess what it is based on...

Tails OS is a distribution of Linux for private browsing not everyday computing, so I doubt it's up to the task of replacing Ubuntu or Linuxmint Debian as my OSes of choice even if it is based on Debian. Thanks anyway though.

Scharf's peculiar requests stem from the fact that he's outsourcing his computer science homework to this forum (and probably a few others).

I think trying to help him at this point is beyond futile if he's not willing to do his own learning.

This is not homework, but something I've been thinking of trying in my spare time.

what is so hard about.

You only say this because you probably used the trick of tricking CentOS into believing it's Redhat or Oracle Linux or just followed the instructions in the latest CentOS 7.x Wiki. LOL

It sounds to me like your issues are with the boot manager... not the os and for sure not the kernel.

I am honestly not sure what you expect you are going to do... the Linux kernel has had billions spent on its development by 100s of companies and 1000s of individuals. It was estimated almost 10 years ago that it would cost any one company almost 2 billion dollars to build a Linux like Kernel from scratch at that point... in todays dollars and compared to the current kernel I could only imagine it would be closer to 10. The kernel is however 100% free to use and abuse... if you wish to create your own distro you can easily download all the Linux kernel code and compile your own, free to add or remove code as you wish.

You can also look at less mainstream distros that are easier to compile yourself in whatever way you want. Arch and Gentoo are both popular with programmers that honestly want to get their hands dirty. You will still have to do some reading and come up with a boot loader that works for your install setup.

If you are a half decent programmer by all means get involved with the various Linux or BSD projects, even their kernel development if you have the chops and the time.

Linux may have had billions spent on it's development, but according to Stallmann some distro such as Ubuntu spy on you and other use not free programs. According to Stallmann the only freedom respectlng distros of GNU/Linux are available from here:

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Also, I would like to see or help make an OS based on the features Tannebaum is talking about while hoping to remain freedom respecting like Stallmann desires or die trying.

I already made my own The ASCII Character Set Chart with conversion to binary, but I'm not sure what I can do with it because apparently assembly is perfect if everyone who tried to make something closer to it than C, like Dennis Ritchie has failed in some obscure way. I already tried writing this sample kernel word for word and it has a fatal error in it, which I'm not sure how to fix.

Last edited:
You can't troubleshoot the Ubuntu server installation process and now you want to make your own kernel....

Yep I already tried this persons guide and it has a fatal error, which I have no Idea how to fix at the moment if every because I haven't finished learning assembly let alone writing my own kernel. I just knew from reading about it that it takes a little bit of assembly and the rest is C while the remaining parts or programs are written in other languages.

Does it have as good of support as Ubuntu and if not that shouldn't matter because it's debian and something from Ubuntu might work in it, but it might matter so I'd better not get my hopes up to high.

Well I already went ahead and deleted my Oracle Linux drive using a drive carrier to make room for this kernel and potentionally more hopefully, but when I wrote this sample kernel it had a fatal error and I don't know how to solve it yet if I ever did considering I have a minor in programming and know or knew C++ unless it's related to the assembly code then I definitely don't know.

Does it have as good of support as Ubuntu and if not that shouldn't matter because it's debian and something from Ubuntu might work in it, but it might matter so I'd better not get my hopes up to high.

Yes, it is primarily ubuntu and ubuntu server centered.

Linux may have had billions spent on it's development, but according to Stallmann some distro such as Ubuntu spy on you and other use not free programs. According to Stallmann the only freedom respectlng distros of GNU/Linux are available from here:

Also, I would like to see or help make an OS based on the features Tannebaum is talking about while hoping to remain freedom respecting like Stallmann desires or die trying.

I already made my own The ASCII Character Set Chart with conversion to binary, but I'm not sure what I can do with it because apparently assembly is perfect if everyone who tried to make something closer to it than C, like Dennis Ritchie has failed in some obscure way. I already tried writing this sample kernel word for word and it has a fatal error in it, which I'm not sure how to fix.

"Freedom respecting" is incredibly vague. While I appreciate what Stallman is trying to do it is a little heavy handed at times.

My Arch Linux install has one single piece of proprietary software installed: Google Chrome. If I remove that then my Arch install is 100% open source under GPL. You could do the same with Gentoo and many other distros. However, Stallman frowns on a distro if they simply offer anything proprietary. So Arch Linux isn't approved by him because things like Flash player are offered. :rolleyes: Freedom is being able to choose what I want installed on my system.

Damn that is some fanactical rhetoric. Makes me think of a Jim Jones style cult. As has been said by others I am all in favor of the freedom for people to pick their own software. Linux is freedom to me not because things are free or open source but because I am free to choose which programs I want. On Windows 10 one of the first things I noticed was how many programs I was unable to simply uninstall, never encountered that on any Linux distro I have used.

Last edited:
Scharfshutze009 don't listen to the naysayers, I believe in you. If you are going to truly rise to GNU greatness, you must walk the path of Stallman. However I must warn you that this is not for the feint of heart, and is certainly not easy on the feet, but in this video you can witness how Stallman handles what must be done.

Scharfshutze009 don't listen to the naysayers, I believe in you. If you are going to truly rise to GNU greatness, you must walk the path of Stallman. However I must warn you that this is not for the feint of heart, and is certainly not easy on the feet, but in this video you can witness how Stallman handles what must be done.

Ahh, you had me going there for a minute I almost didn't think he actually ate something from his foot, but then the video got to about 2:00 or 2:01 and that's was gross. LOL though and I'm not that fanatical or weird, but I paid attention to what Stallman said in his a few key videos about Ubuntu, Apple, Google, and Facebook or other social networks.

Scharf judging from the difficulties you've been having with FAR easyer subjects than kernel coding, I'd venture to say you're far over your head with this thing.

Since you replied, did you finish your kernel? You need to get moving on this, gnu hurd is at 0.9. You know another 10-20 years they might release a 1.0 version, then that's one more kernel you will have to compete with.

Scharf judging from the difficulties you've been having with FAR easyer subjects than kernel coding, I'd venture to say you're far over your head with this thing.

I can't find any good explanation on writing a kernel though. I found a good explanation of how assembly works in a video by the computerphile, but I'm still lost as to what this code in my kernel is completely doing and I know how to convert hex to ASCII using my non-printable Ascii Character chart that shows decimal, octal, hex, ascii, and binary conversions. I understand the comments too vaguely, but the one that says; magic is a complete mystery, even after converting it to ASCII. As for the Assembly and the C++ used it's probably the C++ used later in the book for people who actually know how to write kernels as well as understand the math behind it because I don't and if it's s Calculus I'm in trouble because I've only taken up to precalc.

Since you replied, did you finish your kernel? You need to get moving on this, gnu hurd is at 0.9. You know another 10-20 years they might release a 1.0 version, then that's one more kernel you will have to compete with.

I'm not trying to compete though and I just want to know what a kernel looked like as well as how to write one? I found this though and get it to run, but it just makes the screen flickers the boot message instead of just displaying "my first kernel" like it's supposed to.

You should get a grasp of basic coding before even thinking about anything kernel related.

You should get a grasp of basic coding before even thinking about anything kernel related.

I have a grasp of basic coding I have a minor in computer programming. I know C++, Java, and Visual Basic.Net. I know Visual Basic 6.0 from my three associate in Computer Networking Administration. I finally spent all of Fall 2017 tryig to learn x86 Assembly by writing all the sample programs in Daniel Kussworms book and reading the book. I got it to work and there was nothing wrong with it except the computer I was using it on due to either efi or some other processor security feature. It wasn't that amazing either because it just displayed my first kernel and the second version I completed while following the kernel 201 just said my first kernel with keyboard support, which I've written programs that do way more than that and I know it needs a shell though. I started working on an assembly program that's geared towards including a shell, but it needs a c program to go with it if not more becuase the second kernel required a bunch of extra files to be made just to display "My first kernel with keyboard support".

That guide seemed more like compiling your custom kernel instead of writing one from scratch. Coding your own kernel is something very exotic and requires skills and expertise not found by the average linux user (which are miles above the average Windows user).

Coincidentially it is why I was surprised Scharf is battling this challenge with a track record of not getting even the simple things right. You should evolve to get the simple things in order first, then try the hard stuff.

But as with schools in general - teachers have a curriculum to do they don't care if the student actually is ready or understands what's being taught.

Back