Would a SSD Drive work with old Core2Duo + mobo?

everapt

n00b
I was thinking of upgrading a really old PC with a cheap 60GB SSD. The CPU is the 6400 Core2Duo and it's on a MSI G31TM-P21 mobo. Probably uses the old SATA connection, but would it still work?

yup. worked in my old dell laptop with a c2d and only sata 1 I think! obviously you wont get their full speed potential but its still way better than a hdd!

I've swapped out all, but two HDDs in my systems and laptops. When I decide I need a project I will retire the remaining secondary HDD is my desktop. Both of my desktops are Core 2 Quad Q9550s and I've never regreted the upgrade. The one laptop that hasn't received an SSD upgrade is a PATA/IDE Dell and I haven't, yet, decided to try a PATA/IDE SSD in it. The noise reduction alone is a good reason to swap out HDDs. :D

I've upgraded far more SATA 2 based machines to SSDs than any other type. The big benefit there is you only need to buy budget SSDs as they will push 250MBps+ Read/Write all day long.

No need buying Samsung EVO etc.

Of course it will work, and it's the perfect upgrade for old systems. It's cheap and it makes a hell of a lot of difference. Anyone still using an old HDD as a system drive will be blown away by the responsiveness of the system.
Just get a cheap but relaible SATA SSD and that's it. If it can do 300MB/s that's enough since it will be limited to SATA2 anyway. I use samsung 750-s to upgrade old core2 PCs.

You buy SSDs for the fast random access in those older rigs rather than blazing sequentials (though 200-300MB/s is still plenty).
I've used plenty of whatever brand/model SSDs in older laptops (C2D era) and they got jazzed up nicely.

my file server. runs on core 2 quad 9550 ved a kingston V300 SSD for the OS/pagefile that way the raid 5 array that contains the data can acutally go to sleep

It'll work; you'll be on SATA II with your mobo, still a good upgrade from any spinners.

I have an ssd in my DOS/Win98SE retro box that has an Athlon XP in it. I added a PCI SATA II card that supports Windows 98.

As long as it has SATA it will work.

I just put an pny Cs1311 into an old Dell optiplex 760 USFF. Just used to gain access securely for banking and such.. Running win 7 32 bit, boot times were cut in half and its like a new computer. It still sucks, but a laptop desktop hybrid with a pent dual core is going to.

I was thinking of upgrading a really old PC with a cheap 60GB SSD. The CPU is the 6400 Core2Duo and it's on a MSI G31TM-P21 mobo. Probably uses the old SATA connection, but would it still work?
Even back in the Core 2 Duo days the storage system was by far the slowest part of a system. So yes, you will benefit from the SSD speed (mostly from random read improvements). Just make sure you run it in AHCI mode. However, you won't benefit from Chipset improvements though like Trim, so you would have to manually run a Garbage Collection on the SSD once a month or so. Most come with applications that do that.

Back