Would a regular AGP card work in a Mac?

Konrad

Gawd
I bought a PowerMac G4 450MHz from a cousin of mine, and it has an AGP port... woo hoo.

Would an AGP card I had for my PC work in in it, too?

I don't know much about Macs... any help would be great : )

No. The voltages are different, and I think that the slot may also be a little bit physically different. I recall Apple requiring their own Dual-Link DVI 6800 Ultra to drive their 23" and/or 30" Cinema Displays. At the very least, the different cards would require BIOS changes to work in Mac/PC, but I'm pretty sure that they are not interchangeable.

you are partially right...there is a difference between the PC and the Mac version of the cards in the ROM but the but AGP port on a Mac is the same as a PC

You CAN get a PC AGP card to work in a Mac, but it involves a super-secret method that requires you to flash the card's BIOS...very tricky to do, and a dead card if you f*ck up.

the new ati radeon 9600 for both PC and mac is great for this.. this one card can do both mac and pc without any flashing..

but then i might ask, you doing some serious gaming on a mac now?

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Somehow I don't think so ;)

My friend has a 400mhz or 450mhz G4 from when they first came out. I think so. :D He's filled it up as much as he could and upgraded everything and it still sucks.

Ety said:
My friend has a 400mhz or 450mhz G4 from when they first came out. I think so. :D He's filled it up as much as he could and upgraded everything and it still sucks.
Then he did it wrong. ;) The PowerMacG4s with AGP ports can be upgraded to dual-processor >1500MHz systems, and you can put Radeon 9800s in them. Hardly the most powerful system in existance, but I wouldn't say they suck.

Black Morty Rackham said:
Then he did it wrong. ;) The PowerMacG4s with AGP ports can be upgraded to dual-processor >1500MHz systems, and you can put Radeon 9800s in them. Hardly the most powerful system in existance, but I wouldn't say they suck.
I agree with him, but they aren't the best either for Mac gaming. :D

Back