Would a high gain atenna do the trick?

DermicSavage

[H]ard|Gawd
I am setting up a wireless network across my place, and have a small barn house a pretty far distance away....

When testing the distance, the signal got pretty low, enough to make me try to boost the signal. So, I went into my linksys WRT54G and boosted the Db output by 5.

The only effect it had on my laptop out in the barn was a small increase in noise, but no boost in signal strength.

From all I see, the linksys high gain antenna will boost the Db by 7, and is a lot bigger than the atennas that are built in. Will getting a high gain antenna boost signal strength out to the barn? would it work better if I put the antenna on the computer out there? or do i need to find a new solution?

Suggestions are welcome, thanks!

if you're getting any signal at all, adding a directional ant on each side (wifi AP and client) will greatly enhance your reception.

if you're getting noise, try changing the channels.

DermicSavage said:
I went into my linksys WRT54G and boosted the Db output by 5. The only effect it had on my laptop out in the barn was a small increase in noise, but no boost in signal strength.
You must be getting a lot of multi-path distortion. When a signal reflects off of an object you will create paths of varying length. An observer recieving these signals will them them as out of phase and the combined effect will be seen as distortion. In your situatuion it might be the case that as you are increasing the broadcast power you are also creating more multi-path distortion. Some radios use antenna diversity to cut down on multi-path distorion, but this isn't really a feature you can just "mod" onto your equipment.

If the radio in your barn is stationary I'd reccomend setting up a directional antenna. You'll gain signal strength and get a better signal to noise ratio.

Back