would a 420 watt psu run the x1950 pro agp?

cajun47

Limp Gawd
it has a 12v 13a rail. if i disconnect the case fans and have only one hdd could i make it?

i have the pc case open with house fans blowing high winds in the case. case fans not needed.

It needs at least 28A on the 12+ rail. I don't think this PSU would keep your PC stable if you had a X1950 in it. (I could be wrong)

well it would work for like simple things, web surfing and stuff like that, but when u play games then ur pc will give u a blue screen or shutoff. so just buy a better one, with atleast 28a on 12rail i would get on with 30 just for headroom.

I have a 420w PSU powering my 1950xtx... two optical drives, 3 hard drives and a P4 3.46Ghz extreme edition...

No problems so far. NONE.

I have an Antec TP II 550 with 19A on each of the two 12v rails. I didn't think I would have an issue with this PSU but now I'm starting to wonder. The card seems to be running OK with BF2 and 3dmark 06 and 05. Should I be concerned?

I have a 420w PSU powering my 1950xtx... two optical drives, 3 hard drives and a P4 3.46Ghz extreme edition...

No problems so far. NONE.

And what brand would it be?

I have an Antec TP II 550 with 19A on each of the two 12v rails. I didn't think I would have an issue with this PSU but now I'm starting to wonder. The card seems to be running OK with BF2 and 3dmark 06 and 05. Should I be concerned?

No. That PSU is plenty.

To the OP, do you know what brand your PSU is?

I just installed 1950pro PCI-E to a friends machine and it works nicely with Nexus (fortron) 350W power.

The machine has AMD64 3200+ AM2 processor, 1 dvd-rw drive + 1 SATA hdd. Haven´t heard any complaints from that direction, so it must be working ok.

I have Anted True Blue 480 w w? 22 a on the 12v rail. Mine runs fine so far!!

Ok, I guess it's fine, OP - buy a X1950Pro anyway and see how it does on your system.

I just installed 1950pro PCI-E to a friends machine and it works nicely with Nexus (fortron) 350W power.

The machine has AMD64 3200+ AM2 processor, 1 dvd-rw drive + 1 SATA hdd. Haven´t heard any complaints from that direction, so it must be working ok.

That's amazing, lol.

Yeah I know, could go either way. My friend was in a hurry and that 350W PSU was only one in the shelf at the time.

It would not be a huge suprise if I did get a call about BSOD in games. Well atleast its an easy troubleshooting case if that happens :)

he only has 13A on the 12v rail. That is not near sufficient IMO depending on what processor he's running. If he makes it it will be just BARELY. Get a cheap $35 fortron psu

Btw guys... it's not wattage that matters. It's psu quality and amperage. The op's psu can only supply 150watts on the 12v rail at max... add in 25 watts for the hd and 15 for the optical and you're at 110 watts for both the gpu and cpu. Not nearly enough. Where as a $35 fsp psu on newegg has two 12v rails 15 amps each rail. Now they're most likely not additive however it should be able to put out at least 20 amps. I wouldn't recoomend less than 17A total 12v rail with a 1950.

ok have a question my 1950xt when i plug it up my system wont even power up... the last ps i had it sparked and stuff.... got a new one 580watts but only 19a on 12volt rail.. is that enough.. pc will boot up with out it in the system or with it in just not the power pluged in to the card...... think my card is dead or is that ps just not enough.

help me plz

echostar es-580-24 is what it is
over current protection and over power protection

Im kinda confuse

I can't find any info on my power supply on Enermax website.

I have EG465P-VE

Im kinda confuse

I have EG465P-VE

I/P Voltage rating 90V~135V AC or 180V~264V AC
(selected by slide switch)
Iin=115/230Vac 10A / 6A 12A / 7A
Frequency 47Hz~63Hz
Inrush current 60A max./230V (at cold start)
O/P DC
Voltage Ripple & Noise Total
Reg. Output current rating
Min. / Max.
3.3V 50mV ±4% 0.3A / 32A 0.3A / 35A
+5V 50mV ±5% 0.3A / 32A 0.3A / 35A
+12V 120mV ±5% 1.5A / 26A 1.5A / 33A
-5V 50mV ±10% 0A / 1A 0A / 1A
-12V 120mV ±10% 0A / 1A 0A / 1A
+5Vsb 50mV ±5% 0.1A / 2.2A 0.1A / 2.2A
+3.3V & +5V 185W 200W
TOTAL O/P 350W 460W
Hold up time 17ms min. at 230V AC full load
Over Power Protection 105%~160% of max load
Over Voltage Protection +5V: 5.6V~6.9V
+3.3V: 3.7V~4.5V
+5Vsb: 5.6V~6.9V
Efficiency 70% min. at full load
Cooling Air convection by +12V DC fan
Operation Temperature 0ºC ~25ºC for full rating of load,
decrease to zero Watts O/P at 70ºC
Storage Temperature -20ºC ~80ºC
Humidity Operating: to 85% relative humidity ,
non-condensing At 25ºC
Storage : to 95% relative humidity ,
non-condensing At 50ºC
MTBF 100K hours at 25ºC, 70% full rated load
EMC EN55022, Class B
FCC Part 15
CNS D43028
EN 55024
Safety UL CUL VDE DEMKO NEMKO SEMKO FIMKO
Dimension W150 x H86 x D140 (mm)

I'm going to try an x1950 AGP in 240w PSU Shuttle so you guys don't have it nearly as bad.

There are many people trying these cards in their small form factor cases and those things have only 200-300w PSUs and they seem to be okay.

Im kinda confuse

I have EG465P-VE

I'm confused too, which one of these do you have? Apparently Enermax likes to use the same model number for different PSUs and it's nutz.

EG465P-VE (FMA) 460w single-rail with 33a on the +12v which should also work well with an X1950 Pro. This looks like the one PeePaw found.

however there is also a ....

EG465P-VE (FCA) 431w single-rail with 15a /+12v (This one is majorly under-powered for the X1950 Pro)

and a.....

EG465P-VE (FCA) 460w single-rail with 20a /+12v. (This one might have a chance, might....)

Time for some Advil, my head hurts after that one....

I'm going to try an x1950 AGP in 240w PSU Shuttle so you guys don't have it nearly as bad.

There are many people trying these cards in their small form factor cases and those things have only 200-300w PSUs and they seem to be okay.

Better make sure there's no restock fee on the return policy.

I was going to ask about my power supply too but I'm glad I found this thread. I've got one of the previously mentioned Enermax EG465P models but I didn't know which one. I popped open the case and it has 12v listed over +33a so I guess I've got the single 33 amp/single rail version which should have the gusto for the HIS X1950PRO AGP I was looking at buying. Yippie :D

I have a Enermax 465 PSU and I found out 1 problem with the video card.

I have enough power to turn on PC, run games but I CAN NOT RESTART my computer.

Everytime I try to restart, my computer just hangs on a black screen during boot up!

I was going to ask about my power supply too but I'm glad I found this thread. I've got one of the previously mentioned Enermax EG465P models but I didn't know which one. I popped open the case and it has 12v listed over +33a so I guess I've got the single 33 amp/single rail version which should have the gusto for the HIS X1950PRO AGP I was looking at buying. Yippie :D

You're welcome. Guess my headache was worth it then.:D

I have enough power to turn on PC, run games but I CAN NOT RESTART my computer.

Not to sound negative here, but I had the exact same problem with an X1600pro AGP. After installing Vista HP 32bit, my machine would not restart, and I would have to hard restart to get things going again. I could shut down and power up normally, but no restarts.

Turns out it was my card. I cannot tell how thrilled I was to have this happen, as I had been waiting for an excuse to pick up an X1950pro. I have an Ultra XConnect 500w psu, have had it for about two years, and not had one single problem with it. I guess I got one of the good ones. Anyhow, since installing my X1950pro, I have restatrted my machine at least 50 times with not one single problem.

I have one running on a 430W system in my sig with 2 raptors in RAID, 2 other storage drives and 2 optical drives and its running awesome. No problems so far.

I have one running on a 430W system in my sig with 2 raptors in RAID, 2 other storage drives and 2 optical drives and its running awesome. No problems so far.

Which HIS X1950-PRO version did you get? I just got the 512mb ICE3Q Turbo version. Haven't installed it yet but I'm still hoping my power is o.k. . I've got an AMD 3500+, 2hdd's (a 36g raptor & a 120g Barracuda), 1 combo optical drive, an SB Audigy 2, and a network card. I'm swapping out my 6800GT so I hope the increased draw is o.k. for my enermax eg465p.

I have that same one except i have the 256MB version and I also upgraded from a 6800GT. The only issue I had was stuttering after using driver cleaner and installing the ATI card but a reformat fixed that issue and now its as smooth as can be.

I have a 450w 18a on the 12v on an x1800xt and I can do pretty much everything fine I can even play games but I gain 40fps running it on its own power supply and the fps is smoother and not spiking all over the place. The only problem I have is burning cd's it will give me an error everytime.

I have a 450w 18a on the 12v on an x1800xt and I can do pretty much everything fine I can even play games but I gain 40fps running it on its own power supply and the fps is smoother and not spiking all over the place. The only problem I have is burning cd's it will give me an error everytime.

Maybe im misreading this...but you gained 40FPS by using 2 power supplies? Hmm maybe ill have to bust out my extra one.

That's right. I used rivatuner to monitor the voltage and since my psu barely has enough amps for everything it was spiking all over the place. Hooked it up to an older 250w psu with 10amps on the 12v rail just for the video card and the voltage stopped spiking all over the place. I got an increase in fps and less stuttering while accessing my slow hard drives.

Yeah I know my hd's suck im just waiting till I need to format before I buy all this extra space im never gonna use :p

I ran a x1950 pro agp on a 430W Antec Truepower 2.0 with 20A on the 12V rail if that helps anyone.

2 optical drives, 1 hhd, 1 fan controller etc.

Took it back though. I'll wait for the price to drop a bit. $350 cdn to go from medium settings on a x800 pro to high settings with a x1950 pro isn't worth it imo.

I was having problems described by previous users with the Sapphire version. Like others, the card would sometimes stop responding in CCC. People have said this is because of the VRM overheating. So if I had kept that card, that would have been something that would require a fix.

I have a 6800GT, an Athlon XP-M 2500+ clocked at 2.3Ghz, 1 Gig generic RAM, 2 HDs, two opticals, a Pinnacle Micro video capture card and an Audigy 2 running in an Abit NF7-S mobo. My PSU is an Antec TruePower 430W with 26A on the +12V rail. I see Best Buy has a sale on Visiontek cards this week and I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Is the Visiontek 256MB X1950Pro a decent card, and will my PSU handle it given the rest of my specs?

Thanks in advance.

I'm confused too, which one of these do you have? Apparently Enermax likes to use the same model number for different PSUs and it's nutz.

EG465P-VE (FMA) 460w single-rail with 33a on the +12v which should also work well with an X1950 Pro. This looks like the one PeePaw found.

however there is also a ....

EG465P-VE (FCA) 431w single-rail with 15a /+12v (This one is majorly under-powered for the X1950 Pro)

and a.....

EG465P-VE (FCA) 460w single-rail with 20a /+12v. (This one might have a chance, might....)

Time for some Advil, my head hurts after that one....

I ran an overclocked pentium d and an x1800xt on a psu with 18 amps on the 12v rail.

I have a 6800GT, an Athlon XP-M 2500+ clocked at 2.3Ghz, 1 Gig generic RAM, 2 HDs, two opticals, a Pinnacle Micro video capture card and an Audigy 2 running in an Abit NF7-S mobo. My PSU is an Antec TruePower 430W with 26A on the +12V rail. I see Best Buy has a sale on Visiontek cards this week and I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Is the Visiontek 256MB X1950Pro a decent card, and will my PSU handle it given the rest of my specs?

Thanks in advance.

the 6800gt arguably requires more power than the x1950pro

I have Enermax 465 VE and after I took 2 of my 80 CM fans out of my computer, I was about to restart perfectly.

On another note, I replace the original fan from the Sapphire x1950 Pro to a Zalman VF900 and damn I drop like 22 Degrees at full load.

Thanks in advance.

I have the VisionTek 1950 Pro AGP in my rig and it runs great! I replaced a BFG 7800 GS and can see and feel the difference - averages 10 - to 15 fps higher (e.g., Titan Quest, Half Life 2) and I don't experience near as much severe stuttering or hitching in heavy pixel shader games. But, I have an Antec NeoPower 480 providing the juice which cranks out 18 amps on each of two rails. I have read on the various forums of people successfully running their 1950s on your PS. However, it might cause your PS to run hotter and shorten the lifespan.

I have the VisionTek 1950 Pro AGP in my rig and it runs great! I replaced a BFG 7800 GS and can see and feel the difference - averages 10 - to 15 fps higher (e.g., Titan Quest, Half Life 2) and I don't experience near as much severe stuttering or hitching in heavy pixel shader games. But, I have an Antec NeoPower 480 providing the juice which cranks out 18 amps on each of two rails. I have read on the various forums of people successfully running their 1950s on your PS. However, it might cause your PS to run hotter and shorten the lifespan.

Thanks, man, good info from one who's been there/done that. Sheesh, if you got a good boost over a 7800GS, I'd be weeping with joy at the change from a 6800GT!

Of course, now I'm wondering about those 8600 AGP cards that are rumored...:)

Thanks, man, good info from one who's been there/done that. Sheesh, if you got a good boost over a 7800GS, I'd be weeping with joy at the change from a 6800GT!

Of course, now I'm wondering about those 8600 AGP cards that are rumored...:)

Before the BFG 7800 GS, I had a BFG 6800 GT. I didn't notice a huge difference between the two BFG cards, I guess mainly because of the ROP differences between the two. See:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1918891,00.asp

Although the 7800 GS has only 8 ROPs compared to the 6800 GTs 16, the card did play Half Life 2 more smoothly and ran much cooler. In summary, there is a larger difference between the 1950 Pro and the 7800GS than there was between the 7800GS and the 6800GT. I have a P4 Northwood 3.2 Ghz @ stock and 2 Gigs of RAM and can still play many of the latest games, i.e. Prey, HL2, Episode 1. Also, the 1950 seems to "snap" through web pages faster which is a phenomenon I can't explain.

I maintain a lan at home using a 1950 Pro on my main machine, a 7800 GS, the 6800 GT, and an ATI X800 XL on the other 3 machines, so I'm not an ATI or nVidia !!!!!! - I just am trying to get a little more time out of my AGP machines. Also, I do have a Core2 Duo 6600 with an eVga 8800GTS also, that I built for my son, so I've been down the PCI express route as well and hope that he gets as many years of use out of his new machine as I've gotten out of my "old" AGP based machines.

I am not sure I can steer you one way or another with regard to waiting for an AGP version of the 8600. Right now, nVidia hasn't released any information as to whether or not its going down the AGP path for 8xxx series cards. I suspect they will and DAAMIT will probably produce DirectX 10 AGP cards as well - but when? Four to six months, eight months from now? Who knows? What capabilities will these cards have? None of them will match the top-of-the-line PCI express variants, of that you can be sure. And how long will it be before DirectX9c cards are no longer a viable option for new games? Maybe 6 months, or a year to 18 months? If you have the equivalent of a P4 @ 3.0 Ghz or faster you are not severely bottle-necked by the CPU, but in a year to 18 months, these single core processors probably won't cut it. So it boils down to what the minimum you are willing to live with for the next 12 to 18 months. After that, you've got to make the plunge, like or not, to muliple core CPUs and PCI xpress or the next generation of PCI xpress video cards (if you want to game with the latest and greatest titles). So start saving now for the "BIG" upgrade. Make a decision and don't look back. You can always play the "I would've", I should've" game, and hindsight is 20/20...er, most of the time.

Good luck!

Back