Worthwhile temporary video card upgrade?

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking at doing a full system upgrade in the next six months, but was kicking around the idea of replacing my current video card in my system (a MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB) card with a R270X based card or the like, but given my CPU specs, a Intel Core i7-875K running at 3.4Ghz, would it be worth getting a R270x or maybe investing in something cheaper?

I'm planning on selling the new video card when I build the new system in the summer time, so it keeping its value (with in reason) is important.

Ideas?

I assume you are at 1080 so your cpu oced to 4.0 is hardly an issue at all for a 270x and its certainly not a playable limitation. A 270x is over 3 times faster than your 5770 so that is a pretty good "temporary card".

What would you plan to get during the summer? Oh and a 270x or a 760 will be fine for now. If mining prices stay the same with the release of ASICs, which hopefully they will not, then you should be fine.

What would you plan to get during the summer? Oh and a 270x or a 760 will be fine for now. If mining prices stay the same with the release of ASICs, which hopefully they will not, then you should be fine.

I'm wanting to go with Crossfired 290X setup with watercooling, I'm just hoping the prices drop between now and then. I'm planning on upgrading to a Core i7-4770K and overclocking it also.

I haven't touched the hardware in this PC since I bought it about 4 years ago, so I don't mind spending big $$$ if I don't have to worry about upgrading for a while.

If you want to resell the video card, why not go with the GTX 750 Ti? It uses around 100 watts less under load than the R7 265 so that may be a selling point. Otherwise, the GTX 650 Ti or 640 may not sell well in 6 months.

I am a big AMD fan BUT...for a temp replacement I also like the Nvidia 750Ti. I think the resale on it will be good also because it is a new breed of GPU's. Possibly by the time you are ready to upgrade the 20nm process will be ready.

If you want to resell the video card, why not go with the GTX 750 Ti? It uses around 100 watts less under load than the R7 265 so that may be a selling point. Otherwise, the GTX 650 Ti or 640 may not sell well in 6 months.

Used 750 Ti's sell for about $100 - $115, so this may be viable for OP.

Back