Worthing going new Ryzen from my 9700K?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Specs in sig, but currently have the I7 9700k on a Z-390 motherboard. Is it worth going to the new Ryzen 5 5600X or 7 series and the X570 motherboard?

I'm a big gamer, playing a lot of WoW, and Doom Eternal and soon Cyberpunk. Playing Ultrawide 3440 x 1400res

Would I notice the difference, and be good for future proof?

Last edited:
Gamer only... no, don't upgrade.

Futureproof - Yes, but not enough to merit an upgrade, especially just for gaming.

EDIT: If you can cover 90% of your upgrade cost by selling your existing gear (+ reuse RAM), I'd be on board with that.

Future proof? Heck no as current platforms are EOL next year on both sides of the aisle.

It's not worth it, to me at least. Your current chip isn't exactly slow. It might be slower than than the latest but the gap isn't large enough to justify the cost imo. I'd wait for the AM5 socket and DDR5 late next year or next.

Good points, for gaming it's not worth it, that comes down to the GPU mostly.

That's almost the same specs as my rig when I'm on my ultrawide.

Gpu upgrade would bet you more gains per $ spent.

3440x1440 drags my system whether I go competitive settings on multiplayer shooters, or I'm idling in a 1x player game and decide to crank graphics settings higher. Either way 1080ti is fps constrained.

You'd be looking 3080+ territory for anything appreciable, depending on your ingame settings.

I've been looking at more or less this same upgrade from my current rig. I game at 2560x1440 and ultra/high settings and I still get to enjoy my gameplay. I was about to pull the trigger on a Ryzen 9 5900X & an X570 board and resuse the rest of my parts, but then I'd be stuck without a video card which will be no fun at all.

I'm gonna hold off and just keep pushing my current rig along until the clouds clear and i can snag me a really nice upgrade.

I've been looking at more or less this same upgrade from my current rig. I game at 2560x1440 and ultra/high settings and I still get to enjoy my gameplay. I was about to pull the trigger on a Ryzen 9 5900X & an X570 board and resuse the rest of my parts, but then I'd be stuck without a video card which will be no fun at all.

I'm gonna hold off and just keep pushing my current rig along until the clouds clear and i can snag me a really nice upgrade.
Yeah for 2560x1440, you really want more than a 1070 at this point

Yeah for 2560x1440, you really want more than a 1070 at this point
Yeah. So far my current 1070 is still holding strong tho, but without a shiney new video card, the upgrade isn't really worth it. I'll keep saving my coins tho ;)

1440p it depends on graphical settings.
It's much easier for a gpu to push 1440p vs 3440x1440 bc that's an extra panel + some to draw frames.

1080ti saturates my 1440p 165hz panel at competitive settings.

If I cranked up to upgrade everything, or tried rtx, then it's game by game how hard fps will tank. If you aren't playing multiplayer shooters or racers where fastest mouse twitch and/or jaggy frametimes kill the experience then wait for the right moment and buy the right gpu for your games.

Yeah. So far my current 1070 is still holding strong tho, but without a shiney new video card, the upgrade isn't really worth it. I'll keep saving my coins tho ;)
Good thing I havent felt the display upgrade itch. 1080p/144hz last december was good enough for me...

Good thing I havent felt the display upgrade itch. 1080p/144hz last december was good enough for me...
That's always going to be the hard spend bc display vendors don't telegraph their launches like other components in the build chain.

We might see a 144hz 4k/240hz 1440p display announced but doesn't materialize in sync with gpu capability.

Display tech is annoying bc we often don't focus down on the nitty gritty evolution of color/response time/pixel density like we tend to obsess over cpu/gpu/drive speed/mobo features.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go amd over a 9700k. I would just clock it to 5.0+ and call it a day. Amd may edge out a 10900k in some game benches, but the spread in perf from a 9700 to 10 series cpu is only a few % pts. Meaning you won't get much of an uplift short of bragging rights.

His uplift at ultrawide, even the poky 100hz max my og Acer x34 tops out, is a 3080+ class gpu that can drive his frametimes down and square them up for consistency.

Getting big resolution panels to feel like a 1440p or lower is tough, regardless of your framerate.
1080ti base performance isn’t enough at 3440, 180deg mouse sweeps still feel slow, and I’m talking about competitive settings just for kicks to get over my X34 buyers remorse.

Im not throwing shade or judging or anything but I simply dont understand people that upgrade their cpu's every 2 years. The difference is typically just not going to be really noticeable unless you have very very specific production-type needs. Unless of course its going from low end cpu to high end cpu. But people going from mid or high end cpu to the newest mid or high end cpu 2 years later? I dont get it.

Im not throwing shade or judging or anything but I simply dont understand people that upgrade their cpu's every 2 years. The difference is typically just not going to be really noticeable unless you have very very specific production-type needs. Unless of course its going from low end cpu to high end cpu. But people going from mid or high end cpu to the newest mid or high end cpu 2 years later? I dont get it.

I don't think it's crazy upgrading that regularly if you use the computer for work. Most of the companies I have worked for do 2-3 year life cycles for machines.

Software just gets more complex and demanding over time. Not to mention a lot of the tools people are forced to use for work are horribly optimized, even apps that shouldn't run like dog shit. (In my experience, it's the applications that shouldn't run like dogshit that end up running the worst).

Future proof? Heck no as current platforms are EOL next year on both sides of the aisle.

It's not worth it, to me at least. Your current chip isn't exactly slow. It might be slower than than the latest but the gap isn't large enough to justify the cost imo. I'd wait for the AM5 socket and DDR5 late next year or next.
AM5 will be 2022, the release cycle is 18 months... plus they fail to even get the current ones in shelves until maybe before next summer lol.

AM5 will be 2022, the release cycle is 18 months... plus they fail to even get the current ones in shelves until maybe before next summer lol.

lol yea, cannot do anything about that. That is a good point given supply issues all around. 5800x are relatively easy to get with a microcenter nearby.

Back