Worth upgrading to x64 windows?

shrumhead

Gawd
I just bought an athlon64 3200 and found a beta of windows xp x64 edition but is it worth it at the moment? The only thing I really do atm is play world of warcraft (haha I know), and I don't think it has support for 64 bit processors. Are there some advantages I don't know about that make it omg essential to use a 64 bit operating sytem over the current popular 32?

While I use x64 as my primary Windows OS......in your case.....no there is no real reason. You can if you want but it won't net you anything really amazing....personally I feel it is a more solid OS but the support/compatibility is lower like with any real new OS upgrade.

How do athlon 64s work with 32 bit operating systems? I know it doesn't take full advantage but will using a 32bit windows xp negate the processor all together?

shrumhead said:
How do athlon 64s work with 32 bit operating systems? I know it doesn't take full advantage but will using a 32bit windows xp negate the processor all together?

No it doesn't.. The performance boost to switching x64 is only about 5-10% (really averaging it out there). Some apps that are 64bit benefit more some less. Some 32apps benefit more some less.

A64's work just fine with 32bit windows.

shrumhead said:
Can 64bit applications be run on a 32bit operating system?

No but 32bit can run on 64bit through WOW (windows on windows not world of warcraft)........mostly. However, there are few 64bit apps currently.

Ok thanks spec, I have a pretty good idea now. I'm gonna stick with my windows xp pro x32 for now. I am looking forward to vanguard but haven't heard anything about x64 support... if they do have 64 bit support I will definitely be trying out an x64 xp OS.

shrumhead said:
Ok thanks spec, I have a pretty good idea now. I'm gonna stick with my windows xp pro x32 for now. I am looking forward to vanguard but haven't heard anything about x64 support... if they do have 64 bit support I will definitely be trying out an x64 xp OS.

No problem. The irony is with noone switching I am hosing myself because of less market pressure for people to develop 64bit apps......oh well :)

Spectre said:
No problem. The irony is with noone switching I am hosing myself because of less market pressure for people to develop 64bit apps......oh well :)

I couldn't agree more... please please please we need more people using 64bit o/s and applications.

Its worth the upgrade.

I installed it and ran with it for several weeks. The driver support is really lacking......I didn't activate it and reinstalled the 32 bit version until the driver scene improves.....it was much more solid and verry snappy.....just not quite ready for prime time yet.

One of the major problems is the fact that alot of people don't have 64-bit CPUs. Most companies don't support 64-bit CPUs, and also people want what's cheaper, so naturally they buy the cheap 32-bit stuff rather than the 64-bit goodness.

Back