Worth Upgrading to 8GB RAM?

fellows

Limp Gawd
So I'm about to install 2 Intel x25-m 80GB SSD's and thought about upgrading some other aspects of my system (See sig).
I've heard some users are finding Q6600's are becoming bottlenecks when compared to the rest of their systems. So i gotta figure that my QX6850, awesome as it is, is on it's way along too. I think I may play around with a RAMdisk and see how that goes. Apparently it should be around 4gb in size, so that got me thinking to upgrade my ram from 4Gb to 8gb. Unfortunately DDR-2 is back to being expensive and technically a dead format (soon to be) Does anyone think it's worth doing at this point?

Thanks

For the record G.Skill DDR 8000.

Depends. What exactly are you doing with your PC that you feel requires a RAM disk?

I think those X25-M's should do the trick for most people, but as Danny said, it depends on what you'll be needing the RAMDisks for.

Cool. Now what exactly are you doing with your PC that you think requires a RAMdisk?

Well nothing specific. Standard stuff gaming, video encoding? I don't really understand ... are there no speed benefits to running a RamDisk? Is it only useful as a scratch disk? Is the benefit of Internet caching, TMP, Temp to a ramdisk just security.

Well nothing specific. Standard stuff gaming, video encoding? I don't really understand ... are there no speed benefits to running a RamDisk? Is it only useful as a scratch disk? Is the benefit of Internet caching, TMP, Temp to a ramdisk just security.

For gaming, unless you have an old game that can fit within a 4GB of install, no real benefits for a RAMDisk for gaming. Yeah its major usage is a scratch disk when editing audio, video, or images as well as temporary storage of files that gets accessed frequently like Internet cache, not just security. So unless you do a ton of video, audio, or image editing or like to browse the internet in a very secure way, little to no reason for a RAMDisk in your situation.

Good points all around. I do run multiple Internet windows and browsers simultaneously, and am looking at doing some music production. The question is whether the RAMdisk would be significamty faster than the SSD. I could experiment I guess, but then that leaves my system with 3gb of usable system ram right ... RAMdisks aren't dynamic or shared are they? Appreciate the responses. I think I'll do a bit more research bit am leaning towards skipping it.

Good points all around. I do run multiple Internet windows and browsers simultaneously, and am looking at doing some music production. The question is whether the RAMdisk would be significamty faster than the SSD. I could experiment I guess, but then that leaves my system with 3gb of usable system ram right ... RAMdisks aren't dynamic or shared are they? Appreciate the responses. I think I'll do a bit more research bit am leaning towards skipping it.

Not shared nor dynamic IIRC. Oh a RAMDisk will definitely be faster than a SSD.

Ended up getting the RAM for Christmas. I'll play around with it when it ships. Once I successfully OC my CPU I'm sure the PC will last a few more years.

Back