Worth Upgrading the Fractal Design R4?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello [H],

I have started researching as I plan to upgrade my trusty old i7 2700k (from 2012) to most likely an AMD 3700x. It appears that newer CPU's really benefit from being cool to reduce throttling. The only heavy duty task will be gaming, 1440P @ 144Hz. Otherwise I browse the web and study.

For a case, all I really care about is quietness, airflow and dust filtration. I don't like flashy cases, or clear panels and especially not RGB. Has there been enough improvements in cases over the years where you think I should upgrade my R4? If so, what case would you recommend and why? I do plan to upgrade the GPU to whatever the 2080 Super equivalent will be at the end of the year for AMD/Nvdia.

Thanks!

Edit: For drives I only plan to have 2x 3.5" drives and 2x 2.5" SSD's.

Has there been enough improvements in cases over the years where you think I should upgrade my R4? If so, what case would you recommend and why?

Really no significant improvements at all.

Those Fractal R series cases are like forever cases, until you just get bored, or want to downsize to SFF.

They are extremely modular, and for airflow can take 140mm fans in front, back, bottom and top. Basically nearly every surface has 140mm fan mounts. Even the side panel if you got the standard solid side panel.

Just about the only airflow negative is solid front on the door blocking some airflow vs a mesh front case, but all you need to do is open the door, and you have equivalent airflow to a Mesh case.

Good point, I will just save money and stick with the R4. Thank you so much. I keep forgetting about opening the door if ever needed. Great tip!

I'm in the same boat still on the R5 I had a 2600k in mine even from 2010, the only reason I'm considering upgrading cases is because I haven't used my cd drive in years.
Could cut about 6" off the length of the case by going with a meshify C, just not worth the cost though at the end of the day.
I haven't had an issue keeping the door closed personally, not enough that it substantially affects the temps anyway.

Even with my new cpu/board etc nothings really changed from sizing perspective still looks nice and clean:

Last edited:
Back