Worth upgrading my E5-2687W to Ryzen 9 3950X?

Sitti_S

n00b
I currently have HP Z820 dual Xeon E5-2687W 0 3.10GHz with 128gb DD3 ECC. When I bought it brand new 8 years ago with quadros paid over $15,000, it was a real monster back then, but now it's showing sign of aging. And I noticed there is one or two things are about to go. Costs of getting new replacement parts aren't cheap and easy to find. Instead of repairing it, I thought it might be better to just build a new PC. I no longer need workstation class spec. All I do now is editing my personal vacation videos and gaming. I'm thinking about getting Ryzen 9 3950X and 64gb DDR4.

Will this Ryzen beat my dual Xeon by a huge margin in every way?

Thanks

Having no experience with you current setup, at a glance you will have a frequency advantage (Xeon 3.1 vs Ryzen ~4.0-4.2) and IPC advantage. In tasks that leverage well dual CPU setups and all the cores available.
In most common apps, you will see the gap widen.

IMO if you are up for the change and can swing the cost of it, i'd do it.

This isn't the best way to compare but gives you a general idea (passmark scores):

3950X
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+9+3950X&id=3598
Single Thread Rating: 2746
Cross-Platform Rating: 81,800

Dual E5-2687W's
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2687W+@+3.10GHz&id=1222&cpuCount=2
Single Thread Rating: 1731
Cross-Platform Rating: 40,376

In reality you will notice a pretty decent increase in speed for video's and gaming (depending on GPU of course). As you can see single thread is about 58% faster, and multi threading is about 100% faster. Obviously this is going to be dependent on the actual applications you're running so if you have more info it may help decide. Also, not sure if you're memory of 64GB vs the 128GB you have now will make a difference (have you had issues of running out of ram or using > 64GB?).

It's a performance jump for sure, and sounds like you'll have zero problems affording it. Issues? Well, it's a lot more difficult to cool the 3950X vs dual Xeons. Again, I can't see that being a problem for you. Memory and motherboard selection always seem to be an issue. You'll have to do your own research (I'm sure many here could make recommendations).

It's a performance jump for sure, and sounds like you'll have zero problems affording it. Issues? Well, it's a lot more difficult to cool the 3950X vs dual Xeons. Again, I can't see that being a problem for you. Memory and motherboard selection always seem to be an issue. You'll have to do your own research (I'm sure many here could make recommendations).

The 3950x, thanks to better binning, runs cooler than a 3900x in most any situation and I have no problems cooling my 3900x. Unless your goal is to keep it under 70C while doing an AVX2 stress test, cooling isn't really an issue. Since overclocking really isn't a thing with these CPU's, just slap on a good AIO, get over the cooling OCD and be done with it.

The 3950x, thanks to better binning, runs cooler than a 3900x in most any situation and I have no problems cooling my 3900x.

Runs cooler AND has similar power consumption at that. If anything I'm impressed by how well those things are binned. Haven't seen much evidence of this from other manufacturers.

Note: I'm sure NV does this with their FE chips but since data is so hard to come by and AIB cards change more than one variable and since FEs are relatively rare, it's a little harder to get concrete data.

I don't know about that super binning of the 3950x. The main chiplet for sure is superior. The other chiplet is kind of a turd. With Boost Tester, my main chiplet has one core that will break 4700 and a couple over 4600. The craplet's fastest core is 4392. I believe that the craplet on my 3900x was a little better. Still though, you're right, it's not that much harder to cool a 3950x, but it does put out more heat.

thank you guys for your inputs. I have never used AMD cpu. This is the first time I learned about Ryan produces more heat. Yes, I'm building it myself. I was thinking about going a simple path of air cooling. Will air cooling make a fan spin loud all the time? Or I really should go with liquid cooling? My z820 came with liquid cooling and now one of the pumps is making strange noise, so I thought about making my next PC easy and cheap to repair by going with air cooling.

Get a triple rad aio by a solid brand and good AIB gpu manufacturer with a solid do desgin and performance

Good air cooling is fine also. A goo AIO will be a few degrees cooler but not by a great amount. I did test with different TIMs a couple days ago and here is what my temps looked like. I only ran for 20 mins just long enough to compare temps and found that the LM was 3~5 degrees cooler than MX4 with ambient of about 70 (I like it cool S1.jpg).
S1.jpg

I have a Corsair h100i platinum 240mm AIO, zero issues keeping it cool. Fans rarely have to spin up, it's not difficult to keep cool. A good air cooler will be similar, but my case made the aio easier to fit...

Back