Worth upgrading MX510 to MX518?

Raudulfr

2[H]4U
Well, I've had this Logitech MX510 for around 5 1/2 years. It's still working perfectly but it feels... somewhat lacking. Increasing the USB poll rate to 500Hz improved things a bit, installing SetPoint did too (pointer/movement speed wise) but still... maybe it's time to move on?
So, is it worth upgrading to an MX518 (the 1600dpi version) or something in that price range (~$40)? I don't have the budget to buy those fancy "high end" gaming mice so that's not really an option here.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat you are, been running with the MX510 for longer then I can remember and still going strong, only lost a single foot on the bottom a few weeks ago but never had any trouble with it.

Though I too have looked at the MX518, G5, G500, DeathAdder and Imperator but the DeathAdder doesn't have the same thumb spot the others do. Also Imperator is just beyond what I want to spend and heard of the dreaded single click turns to double click on it as well.

I rma'd my mx518 and used it for 2 weeks, then i found a sweet deal for a G500 for 35 dollars, never looked back since. If you want my MX518 hit me up.

Was there a big difference that you noticed going from the MX518 to the G500? I know the sensor is more improved with the G500 and how it handles day to day as opposed to the MX518.

I went from the MX510 to the MX518 and have had several MX518's. The only thing that has been causing me to rethink the MX series is the fact that the mouse attacts dirt near the scroll wheel like crazy. Also, the finish on the first MX518 wore off after use (the silverish finish).

Other than that, the change was smooth for fit, feel, and performance. It wasn't a huge change, but I digress.

If you are bothered by the aforementioned, make sure to at least get the textured MX518 (where it isn't painted on).

Unfortunately I only seem to find the newer 1800dpi version. People say it's worse than the original. True?

Unfortunately I only seem to find the newer 1800dpi version. People say it's worse than the original. True?

Where have you heard this? I have an original MX518 gen 1 1600DPI and my friend has a 1800DPI gen 2/3 and they seem precisely the same in the tracking department.

From various forums. I can't remember the specifics right now. Something about less accuracy (fast movements), etc.
The G500, though expensive, is beginning to look tempting...

Last edited:
From various forums. I can't remember the specifics right now. Something about less accuracy (fast movements), etc.
The G500, though expensive, is beginning to look tempting...

Hmm, that's certainly disconcerting as the only mouse I want to upgrade to is another MX518 when my old one bites the dust. I guess I need to try out another Gen2/3 and really give it its paces to see if it is indeed inferior.

how do you guys like the mx510. i just bought myself a MX518 brand new on the forums here for 40 bucks. Ive heard these are really good gaming mouses

Well I guess I'll go with a G500. Can't argue with a 50% discount from Logitech, 35 € ($50) free shipping instead of $80 in any e-tailer (yes, stuff in Europe is f***ing expensive).
(Oh and before you nitpick, the 50% discount is regarding the Logitech store price :p)

You can sometimes find older 518s used on amazon... i got mine for 20 bucks there and it's running strong. Great mouse.

how do you guys like the mx510. i just bought myself a MX518 brand new on the forums here for 40 bucks. Ive heard these are really good gaming mouses

My MX510 is a really durable and very well built mouse, the only component in my computer system that has last. I have had it probably since it first came out several years ago.

All buttons fully work and never had the scroll wheel problems with gunk build up so I would say it's a great mouse being nothing is wrong with it but missing one of the five bottom feet.

For $50 you could consider a CM Sentinel - I got one for xmas and it's an awesome mouse. Firmware is good (not perfect, but acceptable) and the mouse is very comfortable and exceptional quality. It's not exactly the same shape as the 518, but it's similar, and very comfortable for palm grip (IDK about other grip styles - only use palm myself).

What is wrong with the MX518? Isn't it basically the MX510 with just a DPI upgrade?

I had no problems with my MXs (had a 510 and 518) but these things are antiquated and overpriced. My Sidewinder mouse has these awesome things called weight adjustments, uses metal instead of plastic in many areas, on the fly DPI switching up to 2000, and is cheaper to boot.

Never mind the OP. After the exchange I just had with Logitech's "support" I'll never buy from them again. Screw them.

Cliffs?
Logitech North America spoils its customers.
Logitech EMEA defecates on its customers.

i've had the MX518 for three years now.. I recently upgraded to G500, same price or cheaper in some places, but better mouse.

Guys, thanks for the replies but there's no need any more, I won't be buying Logitech after all.

Was ist los?

Why? Because unlike in the US, where Logitech replaces even its customers' out of warranty mice with new mice, here in Europe Logitech "support" basically tells you to go f**k yourself.

That's why.

I believe that your mouse is faulty and since it is no longer under manufacturers warranty, it is time to purchase a new one.

Great support eh?

Last edited:

I really like my 510. I have had it for 5 or 6 years. Never had a problem.

went from a 1st gen g5 to my mx518. i will never buy a laser mouse again. I have 4 mx518s and an ie 3.0 boxed ready to go. they should last me at least 6 years. hopefully we will finally have a good laser mouse for low sens gamers by then.

long story short the mx518 is an incredible mouse, and cheap.

went from a 1st gen g5 to my mx518. i will never buy a laser mouse again. I have 4 mx518s and an ie 3.0 boxed ready to go. they should last me at least 6 years. hopefully we will finally have a good laser mouse for low sens gamers by then.

long story short the mx518 is an incredible mouse, and cheap.

Here! Here! I just bought a new MX518 (my old one wasn't broken but its poor 5 mice feet have been through hell and back with me gluing them back on over and over again with crazy glue :D ) such a good mouse and the newer ones with better mouse feet I think will last even longer.

Raudulfr, I am not a Tourny style pro player however I have not noticed any difference between the Gen1 vs this Gen2/3 if there is a difference I'd sure love someone to point it out to me on as how to test it since I have both revisions.

So basically what you're saying is that, despite my hate for Logitech right now, I should buy an MX518 instead of, say, a Cyber Snipa Stinger, Cyber Snipa Silencer or a Razer Deathadder (1800dpi)?

Last edited:
The Deathadder 1800dpi would be on equal footing with the MX518, more a preference to the shape in that specific case.

Over the others? Absolutely.

I have used every mouse that has been mentioned in this thread. Here are my thoughts:

• The 1800dpi MX518 doesn't feel any different than the 1600dpi. I use one at work and one at home. They feel the same in terms of tracking. I play at 900dpi as default and have 200dpi increments up and down for both. I haven't noticed anything different.
  • If you can get a blue G5v2, they're pretty good. The grip on the G5 is a bit higher, giving the mouse a more rounded feel. Mind you, it's only incrementally higher but I found it both noticeable and comfortable. Though I prefer the dpi buttons on the MX518 more.
  • Many people swear the DeathAdder is best mouse known to man but I'm not a fan of it. It's too flat and it feels very awkward to me. It just never sat well in my hands. I also detest losing a side button for sensitivity adjustment. The tracking is excellent though and I do love those Razer m1 and m2 buttons. They take almost no effort to click.
  • The MS Sidewinder isn't bad at all. I love the dedicated dpi buttons to select rather than "switching" and the vertical side button placement. But I used the original one with the metal scroll wheel. I didn't like how slick the wheel. It needed quite a bit of contact to ensure you turn it properly. It's hard to describe but the wheel didn't has the nice tactile feel of rubber or plastic.
  • Finally, you really should look at the SteelSeries Ikari mouse. It is not very popular here in the US but I swear it is the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Keep in mind that I palm my mouse while also using my fingers for minute adjustments and that I don't like heavy mice. The Ikari is feather light. Some people have raised concerns about being able to grip it to pick it up and recenter it on the pad but I've never had any trouble. And I have pretty small hands for a guy. Both the optical and laser are great products and are often overlooked. Plus, SS is availble in the EU so you should be able to find it at a decent price.

That's enough for one post. I'm full of mouse opinions so feel free to PM me if you want anymore of my rantings. :D

ike989

[*]Finally, you really should look at the SteelSeries Ikari mouse. It is not very popular here in the US but I swear it is the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Keep in mind that I palm my mouse while also using my fingers for minute adjustments and that I don't like heavy mice. The Ikari is feather light. Some people have raised concerns about being able to grip it to pick it up and recenter it on the pad but I've never had any trouble.

Light eh? Just how light? I once used a cheap Trust mouse for a while and it was quite light. I hated it.
Also, it's "only" 1600dpi. Enough for 1920x1200 gaming/general usage?

If I havent had had my MX518 mouse wheel stop working, I wouldn't of gotten the G500. The overall functionality of the 510 over the 518 was the "on the fly" change of sensitivity. I used it in BF2 a lot. The 518 has been a great mouse and continues to be a great mouse for me.

Its gonna be a new mouse and have that great new mouse smell. :)

Light eh? Just how light? I once used a cheap Trust mouse for a while and it was quite light. I hated it.
Also, it's "only" 1600dpi. Enough for 1920x1200 gaming/general usage?

The Ikari is light enough that you don't even have to think about moving it. It just goes with your arm. It's about the same weight as the MX518. The MX518 is listed at 113.8g and the Ikari is listed at 105.6g. Hope that helps with the comparison.

Great support eh?

Well I'm a bit confused here...in your initial post, you say the mouse was still working perfectly but you felt the performance was a bit lacking compared to newer mice.

If it's working fine, why WOULD Logitech replace it? You now hate them because they won't replace your functionally-perfect mouse that's out of warranty? :confused: But the rep said he thought your mouse was faulty; I guess that's where I'm a bit lost.

If you were just looking for a free upgrade and lied to them about the mouse's condition in order to try to get them to send you something newer/better, I can't say I feel sorry for you. If that's not the case, then disregard that statement of course. I guess I don't know the full story here.

Well I'm a bit confused here...in your initial post, you say the mouse was still working perfectly but you felt the performance was a bit lacking compared to newer mice.

If it's working fine, why WOULD Logitech replace it? You're mad because they won't replace your functionally-perfect mouse that's out of warranty? :confused:

If you were just looking for a free upgrade and lied to them about the mouse's condition in order to try to get them to send you something newer/better, I can't say I feel sorry for you. If that's not the case, then disregard that statement of course. I guess I don't know the full story here.

The buttons (crappy cheap Logitech switches) stopped working. Since the web is full of magical tales of how great Logitech support is, replacing OOW mice and all, I decided to give it a try. They basically told me to go f**k myself (apparently Logitech EMEA is a whole different company than the magical and wonderful Logitech USA).
So, later, I had it repaired at a store nearby, to replace the broken button switches. I didn't lie, I tried my luck. I was not demanding anything. A simple discount voucher for their store would've been enough, no need to be so brasen. And now I want to buy a new mouse because this one is not enough for me any more, not fast enough for general usage at 1920x1200 (not to mention the other buttons are starting to crap out on me).

Last edited:
I've had an MX510 for a long time. A year ago I decided it was time for something fresher. I settled on a Deathadder. I really like the glide, grip and operation of the Deathadder much better than the MX510. The DA doesn't seem to be as durable as the MX510, though, with scratches and scuffs on the polished bottom surface, and a general feeling of "grubbiness" despite actually being clean. (It doesn't help that my 3 year old is using it now). For me the DA plus Destructor pad was heaven for light, low friction use. The left/right button action is much nicer on the DA than the Logitechs too.

Just Friday night the DA flamed out (in between me standing up and my wife sitting down it became an unknown USB device). I believe Razer will be RMAing it, but I'm back to my MX510 for now. I still prefer the DA's operation but nothing seems to be able to kill the MX510.

hey guys i have a quick question. what is a MX518se mouse worth brand new in package. I bought a mosue off a user on the forums brand new for 43 shipped. The shipping was a tad bit slow so ive already got a new mouse (deathadder) so i want to sell the Mouse.

What should i ask

Well... my MX510 is about to be (finally) retired.
Its replacement is a....

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

*drum rolls*

G500 :p

After some, uhm... persuasion... Logitech was kind enough to offer me a 50% discount voucher ;)

I would really like to to know how you got Logitech to give you a 50% discount voucher. :D

Back