Worth upgrading from GT 610 to GT 1030 for PLEX?

nightanole

[H]ard|Gawd
So the current media pc is a j1900 with a GT610(passive cooled) so i can output HD audio passthru.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

So the retail GT 610 has VP5 decoder engine. Im wondering if there would be a quality improvement with H264 if i upgrade to the new $70 gt 1030(passive cooled) with the new VP8 decoder. Im not looking to switch to h265 or 4K for a few years, as it will require replacing my onkyo (wont pickup audio from hdmi unless its a video rez, si 720/1080 only) and tv, and as it stands there is little content.

Are you running your server and client all on one? Also what format is most of videos in? I would say no if your doing client server. Now if you use Netflix or other streaming services then yes it might be worth it.

Are you running your server and client all on one? Also what format is most of videos in? I would say no if your doing client server. Now if you use Netflix or other streaming services then yes it might be worth it.

Plex server is ran off of a unraid box, direct stream. Most of the videos are h264 1080p and dont need transcoded. I also cant really tell the difference between the 610 and my 1070, but the 1070 is on a 28" 8bit tn 4k monitor, so its apples to oranges.

Back