Worth upgrading from a 4770k at this point?

I looked today and the Ryzen 5 3600 is petty died on stock now .. but it's like they drove the price up to make see the XT
It comes and goes. It was getting higher up when I was looking for a 3300x... couldn't find that, 3600 was up to $200+ and the 3600x wasn't in stock or was $250... ended up just getting a 3700x for $270. The next week 3600's were back down and 3600x's back in stock, lol. Oh well, still love the 3700x, enough that I bought a second 2 weeks later @ $260 + free AC: Valhalla :p. I'll see what comes out with zen3, I'm not against upgrading again.

Just came across this topic.

I think time has come to retire the 4770k, had it oc to 4.9ghz.
It has been brilliant cpu running without issues even pushing over 1.5v vcore, over 7 years!

Last couple years had to been running it 4.4ish due to thermals i think its thermal paste thats gone crap hasnt been changed in 5+ years. 😆

Question is, can the 5950x be as future proof as the mighty 4770k.

Attachments

• 20201107_092551.jpg
    20201107_092551.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 0
If you need production workloads I think the 5900x is the better value. If it's just gaming just get the 5600x

If you need production workloads I think the 5900x is the better value. If it's just gaming just get the 5600x

Fair point, i havent used my pc in 6months lol.
Been preoccupied with hifi. I just wanted something to drive my 4k display at decent fps when cyberpunk comes out. (6900xt)

I foubd 5600x in stock as well.. hmmmmmm

Question is, can the 5950x be as future proof as the mighty 4770k.
Depend for what, for gaming maybe, the 4770K released at the same time has the previous console generation in 2013 and it is maybe not a coincidence you feel the need to upgrade the moment large budget game made with more than a PS4 in mind just started to get made.

5950x is releasing at the same of this generation and is quite more performing by core and has twice of them, if the 2025 game can run on a PS5/Xbox it should run no problem on a 5950x and if evolution continue to be that "slow" it could take a while.

That said if it is for game I am not sure there is much logic into future proofing at the current moment and at that price point, a 5600/5800x now and the equivalent price wise that will exist in 3-4 year's (on DDR5) would not cost more and should give you much more over time.

Depend for what, for gaming maybe, the 4770K released at the same time has the previous console generation in 2013 and it is maybe not a coincidence you feel the need to upgrade the moment large budget game made with more than a PS4 in mind just started to get made.

5950x is releasing at the same of this generation and is quite more performing by core and has twice of them, if the 2025 game can run on a PS5/Xbox it should run no problem on a 5950x and if evolution continue to be that "slow" it could take a while.

That said if it is for game I am not sure there is much logic into future proofing at the current moment and at that price point, a 5600/5800x now and the equivalent price wise that will exist in 3-4 year's (on DDR5) would not cost more and should give you much more over time.
I think its also all the hype around new gpu from nvidia and amd now. Its making me feel like im missing out 😆

Price difference between 5600 and 5950 to me is not much and easy to justify. Something that i cluldnt do when it came to upgrading 1080ti strix oc to 2080ti.

OP I have a i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz but I feel like it's not doing my 2060 justice especially in games like COD WARZONE. In multiplayer it's just fine but I think the larger maps with more people I think the new processor would really help. I picked up a 3800 (I have not opened it) on sale but seeing the benchmarks I'm going to return it for a 5600X. This will hold me over longer. I don't upgrade frequently so I try to stretch out my upgrades for my pocketboot/ less ewaste.

OP I have a i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz but I feel like it's not doing my 2060 justice especially in games like COD WARZONE. In multiplayer it's just fine but I think the larger maps with more people I think the new processor would really help. I picked up a 3800 (I have not opened it) on sale but seeing the benchmarks I'm going to return it for a 5600X. This will hold me over longer. I don't upgrade frequently so I try to stretch out my upgrades for my pocketboot/ less ewaste.
Really? I dont really think my 4770k is holding me back with 1080ti Strix OC. Ill probably get 6900xt before i get the new CPU, will be a fun test to compare in benchmark.

That setup just meets the minimum recommended hardware requirements for Cyberpunk. The Haswell (4th Generation) and Broadwell (5th Generation) CPUs are already in their "legacy" support phase, which means that there will be no more bug fixes ever for these CPUs while critical security fixes may not last much longer. And as time progresses, newer software may not run properly or at all on such a 7-year-old CPU platform.

Under these circumstances, a CPU platform upgrade is worthwhile, especially if you can get it for a fair price.
Not really. People still using amd bulldozer and even phenom CPUs still. A Haswell cpu still pretty competent.

Back