Worth Upgrading from 390x to a 1070 or 1080?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Worth Upgrading from 390x to a 1070 or 1080?

System specs are in sig.

I mostly play divinity original sin.

What is your current FPS in that game? Everything working fine? Just feeling an upgrade itch?

If your current setup is still working and well, save your money and upgrade when you actually need to. That way you can take advantage of new cards (Vega / Volta rumored to be out within 6 months to a year).

I went from a 390X to a 1080. Main reasons were I moved my home office to the smallest room in the house because of a new baby, so I wanted to reduce heat created by the PC and also because I went from a 1600P monitor to 4K. I mainly play Overwatch whenever I have time, so performance wise I guess maybe I could have still been ok with the 390X, but I do notice a big difference with noise and heat which is worth the upgrade alone for me. Much quieter and cooler.

I went from a 390X to a 1080. Main reasons were I moved my home office to the smallest room in the house because of a new baby, so I wanted to reduce heat created by the PC and also because I went from a 1600P monitor to 4K. I mainly play Overwatch whenever I have time, so performance wise I guess maybe I could have still been ok with the 390X, but I do notice a big difference with noise and heat which is worth the upgrade alone for me. Much quieter and cooler.
I went the same route and the 1080 is league's better.

I did the same thing but was to get rid of some 250w GPU's and go down to the 1080's 180w power. My whole rig runs cooler and quieter now which was the idea behind the upgrade for me.

Important question: what resolution are you playing at? If it's 1080p, little reason to upgrade. Sure, you'll get higher FPS with a 1070 and 1080, but most games are more than playable with a 390x at 1080p.

If it's 1440p, the answer is less clear. If you're mostly playing RPGs and isometrics like DD, a 390x is fine; if you're playing more graphically intense adventure/action/FPSs, you'll likely want to upgrade.

If it's 4k, a 1080 (or 1080 ti, whenever that's coming) is the way to go. Alternatively, you could save some dough by getting a second, used 390x provided you have the PSU (I wouldn't normally suggest mGPU, but I came from dual 390xs and my exp was pretty decent).

I have both R9 390 and GTX1080, if you like highest settings in games then 1080 is really much better than 390,
you can easily see the difference...

I moved from a 290x clocked a lot higher than the 390x to a 980ti over a year ago on 1080p. (Similar upgrade to a 1070)
Even then that was a great upgrade, now even more so. All games are ultra smooth nearly all the time on max or very close to max settings.
A 1080 would amaze you at 1440p, not so much need for one at 1080p.

I mostly play divinity original sin.
Guys this game gets 144fps with a 390x or 980 @ 1440p resolution. Apparently performance is bugged @ 4K resolution in that game so going with a 1080 is pointless as a upgrade. Even the newer D:OS2 gets ~60fps @ 1080p with a 270X. Those games just don't need a huge amount of grunt power to work well.

OP if you want to play other newer games at 4K upgrading to a 1080 makes sense. If you're fine with 1080p or 1440p at 40-60fps a 390X will serve you well for a while still even with newer games. If you want 100+fps @ 1440p for newer games than a 1080 makes sense too but that only matters for twitch shooters.

As others mentioned its a good idea to wait too until NV and AMD release new top end cards in 4-6 months. It'll probably push down the prices even if you're not interested in the very top end. Of course if you have money to burn then go hog wild and get a 1080 or 2.

And don't worry about heat. The ~70W difference in power use between a 390X and a 1080 isn't noticeable in any room bigger than a closet. Its not much more than a 60W lightbulb will put out and no one notices or really cares about the heat those things put out ever. Just people looking to justify spending $$$ on stuff is all.

Last edited:
1080 would be a big improvement, but if you're already getting good frames, then save the money for now and go with a larger upgrade in the future imo. its tough when you get that upgrade itch, so if you have to scratch it might as well go big.

Back