worth upgrading 7820x to 5900x?

celwin

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been running this 7820x since 2017. I have absolutely no issues with it and does what I use it for relatively fast. I primarily use my pc for video encoding and some gaming @4k every now and then. Does anyone know how much faster is the new AMD 5900x at video encoding? If I upgrade it will either be 5900X or 5950X. Just not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Why buy a new platform? Look for a good used 7940X and you'll definitely speed up your video encoding.

I have the 7820x and its a hot beast, even under water. I think the 5900 will be marginally faster while using less power. The question is, are those marginal increases worth spending the $$? For me, its a hobby - so even if its marginal, I will upgrade when I can get a 5950x without having to refresh 6 different windows constantly.

I am also waiting for all the x570 boards to get updated and iron out all the bios issues with the 5000 series CPUs.

I have the 7820x and its a hot beast, even under water. I think the 5900 will be marginally faster while using less power. The question is, are those marginal increases worth spending the $$? For me, its a hobby - so even if its marginal, I will upgrade when I can get a 5950x without having to refresh 6 different windows constantly.

I am also waiting for all the x570 boards to get updated and iron out all the bios issues with the 5000 series CPUs.

Dude a 3900x wrecks the 7820x in anything, I mean anything multithreaded as it is. I dumped my 7820x long ago...

Dude a 3900x wrecks the 7820x in anything, I mean anything multithreaded as it is. I dumped my 7820x long ago...
I agree, anything multithreaded its going to be an improvement, but for day to day tasks, I still think it will be marginal.

I agree, anything multithreaded its going to be an improvement, but for day to day tasks, I still think it will be marginal.

First a doubling of multi threaded performance is nothing to sneeze at. Secondly, for day to day... shit I'm glad I got rid of the 7820x. It never felt robust, it never felt like I could multi task on it with ease ie. the chip always ran out of capacity and that's just daily workloads. I can't speak to what YOU do, but for me throwing smartedge at it, encoding, and browsing was enough to put that chip at its max. Moving to a 3900x meant I could throw all that at it and still have ample in reserve. Now I can play a game on 2k21 while I watch my stocks, encode a few videos w/o a hiccup. Not sure you get it that the massive multithread increase means you can daily multitask with much greater ease.

I went from e3-1270 to 7700k then very quickly to 7820x.
That spans my arc fro, VMware to AWS thru Docker/k8s native

so in the time everyone was either in e5 Xeon to the 8c/16t Threadripper 1 that had all sorts of not ready for prime time issues in my workflows....2x cores and threads was useful. Colleagues using 10c+ x299 white box builds at the time were also highly productive bc we didnt want to burn public cloud resources to test how to lower code pipeline times, artifact caching, HA/DR “how do I keep my data inflight intact while I learn new retur to process8ng” concepts.

Now we have a plethora of 12c+ ryzen to white box, but that wasn’t immediately available in the 2 gens of x299 when we needed the local capacity.

I have absolutely no issues with it and does what I use it for relatively fast.
I think you answered your question. :)
I upgraded from a i7700k to a 5900x and love it, however if the the 7820x is still working for you then don’t upgrade just to upgrade. You might be able to wait till Zen 3+ or Zen4 on AM5 with DDR5 is a thing.

I've been running this 7820x since 2017. I have absolutely no issues with it and does what I use it for relatively fast. I primarily use my pc for video encoding and some gaming @4k every now and then. Does anyone know how much faster is the new AMD 5900x at video encoding? If I upgrade it will either be 5900X or 5950X. Just not sure if it's worth the hassle.
Do you really want to downgrade from quad channel to dual channel?

AMD is garbage too.

Im waiting for rocketlake-X

If you want more multi, ebay the 12 or 14 core.

AMD is garbage too.

Show me all those benchmarks where quad channel is a must have feature over dual channel in real world usage?

That's stupid.

You'll be waiting for Rocketlake-X for a long time

That's the only thing you said worth listening to...

AMD is garbage too.

The difference is negligible at best.

Care to elaborate or qualify to why "AMD is garbage"?

I think you will be waiting a long time to get the performance and efficiency that AMD now provides from Intel. By the way I have a 7820x, same as op.

Zen3 is a sidegrade to those who already have Skylake-based CPUs. Wait for rocket lake.

Zen3 is a sidegrade to those who already have Skylake-based CPUs. Wait for rocket lake.

d6l8n.jpg

For the OP's use case (video encoding) the best I could find was Anandtech's reviews:
7820x
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1155...core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-and-i7-7800x-tested/13
5900x
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1621...-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/15

I mean, the 5900 is over twice as fast depending on what you're doing. I would say it is somewhat more sustantial than "marginal." But at the same time, whether or not it's worth it is up to the individual user. And for strictly gaming at 4K, then absolutely not worth it.

Last edited:
I hung on to my old 7820X for far too long thinking Quad-channel memory actually helped me in daily work. It doesn't. :(

With my current setup, the difference in IPC and clockspeed more than makes up for any small difference Quad-channel RAM had. A 5900X would be a monster upgrade over your 7820X.

I hung on to my old 7820X for far too long thinking Quad-channel memory actually helped me in daily work. It doesn't. :(

With my current setup, the difference in IPC and clockspeed more than makes up for any small difference Quad-channel RAM had. A 5900X would be a monster upgrade over your 7820X.
Why don't you replace your CPU with another LGA 2066 ? The 10980XE will be a monstruous upgrade and it's available. Not sure you can get a 5900X easily and at its current annonced price. You will get the 10980 at a lower price than that announced.
Il you want comparable price and perfromance to 5900X, you can get the 10920X on LGA 2066. I suppose this is the best option for real and a simple switch after updating the BIOS of your motherboard to support Intel 10000. It will be around 3 times the performance of the 7820X on multithreaded software.
Going for an AM4 motherboard to have a 5900X supported is rather a downgrade from a LGA2066 motherboard which is to be compared to Threadripper's motherboards.
The new Intel 10000X CPU series will upgrade the features on your motherboard (like number of PCI lines etc etc).

Last edited:
Can confirm, went from a 7820x to a 5900x and its way faster. ;)

*My subjective personal experience. Wow, general desktop experience, i.e. program loading.

Can confirm, went from a 7820x to a 5900x and its way faster. ;)

*My subjective personal experience. Wow, general desktop experience, i.e. program loading.
Imagine how much faster it really is since our perception of things is logarithmic.

Back