Worth selling my 8800gtx to get 8800gt SLI ?

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
I have never ever had an SLI system. After the coming of 8800gt though, I started to think if it would be a smart move to get rid of my gtx and go the sli way, buying two gt instead.

Will I notice enough of a performance gain, and equally important, am I in for a world of trouble bugs and crashes ?

(I will also have to change my motherboard, and get one that supports sli, so a bit of info on that too would be off-topic regarding the video cards forums, but truly useful)

not worth it, just overclock your GTX, SLI isn't working in all situations.

what resolution you play at?

unless you go 1900x1200 and above its not worth it IMO

If you have to replace your motherboard as well, it's not worth it. The mobo + SLI will cost probably MORE than a GTX. Just keep the GTX until the next gen; believe me, unless you just HAVE to play the Crysis demo at max everything, you're not missing anything with a GTX.

unless you go 1900x1200 and above its not worth it IMO
Sadly, 8800GT SLi doesn't do quite as well at 2560x1600 as one would hope (read the [H] article). 1920x1200 would be where SLi would shine.

To the OP: 8800GT SLi can be the best performance option currently available. Which games do you feel your GTX can't handle? How important is it that you play these games now instead of a few months from now? How much money and time will you pay for that?

Personally I'm not going to bother upgrading my 8800GTS until 9-series comes out because there are only a few titles that I feel would benefit much from more power, and those I can wait to play later. Games are often cheaper once they've been on the shelves a couple months anyway.

From what I've seen and read, it's not worth it to go SLI (had the same question myself a bit back). As mentioned, SLI performance is variable and the drivers can sometimes be flaky. It isn't really worth it unless you already have top-of-the-line and want more. Personally, I'm waiting for the 8800GT's big brother to come out and then I'll make my decision about upgrading to a new card.

We all know damn well that there is an uber card waiting to be unleashed. Hold your $$ folks. If you have a GTX sit on it. That way, you can sell it when the uber card comes out and you have a single card solution which will for sure WAX the GT or GTS sli. That is my plan.

not worth it, just overclock your GTX, SLI isn't working in all situations.
I personally just went from a GTX to 2 x 8800gt in SLI. I was able to OC my dual 8800gt cards to match the performance of my single 8800gtx. So, yes it can and in my opinion IS worth it.

Though, I will admit that my resolution is 1920x1080 and I had just purchased the 8800gtx last month so was able to return it and get two 8800gt cards plus money back. So, I was in a unique position.

If you have an 8800gtx card, just wait a month or two to see what the next gen cards are going to look like.

Sadly, 8800GT SLi doesn't do quite as well at 2560x1600 as one would hope (read the [H] article). 1920x1200 would be where SLi would shine.

To the OP: 8800GT SLi can be the best performance option currently available. Which games do you feel your GTX can't handle? How important is it that you play these games now instead of a few months from now? How much money and time will you pay for that?

Personally I'm not going to bother upgrading my 8800GTS until 9-series comes out because there are only a few titles that I feel would benefit much from more power, and those I can wait to play later. Games are often cheaper once they've been on the shelves a couple months anyway.

Read what? I don't recall the [H] review having SLI benchmarks

Since you have to also change your mobo I'd rather wait for the GTX replacement, it might even be cheaper.

Read what? I don't recall the [H] review having SLI benchmarks

Since you have to also change your mobo I'd rather wait for the GTX replacement, it might even be cheaper.
There were only two SLi tests done in the [H] article, but on UT3 at 2560x1600 the difference between 8800GT SLI and a single Ultra was pretty small. Going down to 1920x1200 the GTs gained a large lead.
HardOCP Review said:
We could not enable 2X AA on any of the video cards at 2560x1600. With all three video card configurations it seemed that the framerates might have been high enough with 2X AA, but the game felt very choppy. It was not a playable experience and it was most choppy on the GeForce 8800 GT SLI with 2X AA. It most certainly felt like the framebuffer size at 512 MB just wasn’t enough to handle such a high resolution with AA in the game. 8800 GT SLI may have the GPU performance to push that setting, but they lack the framebuffer size for it.

I would sell your GTX for the next GTX...That's what i'm doing....I need the next big leap. Not road bump.

Thank you for your answers, but let me clarify the way I see it right now, I was a bit worried of the fact that the gtx seems to loose a lot of its selling-power price wise. So maybe when the new single monster card arrives, it will be even less appealing and even less sell-worthy.

I know that I am kinda caught up in a way of thinking that won't let me just have fun with my card, but still I can't help but notice the above.

And, frankly, I don't give a damn (about crysis).

Hang on to it until the next high end is released, throw the GTX on ebay, stop thinking about it, go play some games.

I have the 2 new cards, and honestly, I would say no, not worth it right now. Hold out a bit.

I'd sell that 8800 GTX while it's still worth a pretty penny...

Grab yourself an evga 8800 GT, then when the new GTS comes out...either step up to that or wait for the 9800. Now matter what you buy, dump that GTX. You'll be glad you did.

It'll still be worth SOMETHING even if a new uber-high end card comes out; especially if it's the same price as the GXT/Ultra was when it came out.

Wait. It's always worth waiting.

It'll still be worth SOMETHING even if a new uber-high end card comes out; especially if it's the same price as the GXT/Ultra was when it came out.

Wait. It's always worth waiting.

Yes wait. Wait until everyone figures out that they can spend half the money to get the same framerates as a GTX.

Wait. Definitely.

Right now better KEEP the GTX or use the ONE GT is good enough.
SLI STILL TO DEPENDABLE on the GAMES
just like the PHYSX right?

Yes wait. Wait until everyone figures out that they can spend half the money to get the same framerates as a GTX.

Wait. Definitely.

The trend has been an ever increasing price for the ultra-high end graphics cards. I see no reason why this gen should be any different. No, you're not going to get $400 for your GTX if you wait, but you can get $200 and know that you got THE BEST instead of dropping your money on something that will be obsolete (possibly) in a couple months.

My vote; sell it now. Buy the two GT's with the money; you can sell those later if something else comes along maybe even at a profit. You don't have much to lose really.

I have two GT's; one can OC decently, the other kinda sucks at OCing; I may just take it back to BB.

Hey guys I have a question. I currently own a EVGA 8800GTX. I just bought a 8800GT KO and it gets higher scores in 3d Mark 06. Which card should I keep out of the two? Is the 8800GTX better than the GT? I game at 1680X1050 on a 22" LCD, and am just worried that the GTX may be a better choice for turning AA and AF up high? Will the GT choak compared to the GTX if I start to crank up AA and AF? Thanks guys I appreciate your help and advice.

The GTX is much better at DX10 based applications but at 1680x1050, the difference is not that much. In DX9 apps, the 8800 GT will keep up nicely. Head to head, the GTX card at 626 core is as fast as the GT at 700 core in 3Dmark06. Both scored 13,800.

When the new high end comes out if ever, the 2 GTs that you plan on buying will also depreciate. Then you will be trying to sell 2 things for cheaper than MSRP instead of just one and you might lose even more. Selling a GTX at a loss, and two GTs at a loss. Something to consider.

I am currently running sli with GT's . I have run Quad sli in the past and GTx cards in SLI and with the exception of the Quad setup it that i had. Sli worked great.

The quad setup worked well on some and not at all on others.I have done sli at least 4 times with various cards including the original 6800 series and all and all the experience has been a positive one.

Now for the brass tacks. The sweet spot for my current sli set up is 1680x1050 as it relates to Crysis. You start going up in resolution and you going to want to add a second GTX. I think your best bet is get a EVGA oc card and sit tight in case something very powerfull shows up in the next 90 days. A single Gt is nearly as powerful as a gtx and uses less power and takes up less space in your rig. They really do not run any hotter , at least not in my rig. Then if nothing shows, you can add a second GT at a very low cost and go sli You can also go sli right away very little cost assuming your selling your gtx and then step up both cards :) god it never ends lol

I decided to sell the 8800GTX and buy (2) BFG 8800GT OC cards to SLI instead.

Thanks guys!

Back