Worth it to WC Evga 680i NB and SB?

MadAsHeck

Limp Gawd
Is the small fan for the NB/SB heatpipes loud? And does it do a good job when the MB is overclocked? I already have the parts to WC the NB and SB (DD 680i block and Nexxus SLI NB block for the SB), but the tubing isn't quite as nice as I would like and I had to use a few 90 degree elbows to do it (4 if I remember correctly). When I had the computer running it was completely silent and I wouldn't want the small fan ruining that, but if the stock cooling is adequate then I wouldn't mind going w/ that instead.

I would test it for myself, but I had to RMA my MB so I'm waiting for it to come back and would like to know for when i go to re-install the system.

I found the stock fan to be loud and annoying. I went with water on the north bridge and a Thermalright HR-05 SLI on the south.

It is loud, that's for sure.

I have two Evercools on the way so I'm going to play with an Evercool on the SB and possibly one on the NB. I also have a NC-U6 which can easily cool the NB.

Is the small fan for the NB/SB heatpipes loud? And does it do a good job when the MB is overclocked? I already have the parts to WC the NB and SB (DD 680i block and Nexxus SLI NB block for the SB), but the tubing isn't quite as nice as I would like and I had to use a few 90 degree elbows to do it (4 if I remember correctly). When I had the computer running it was completely silent and I wouldn't want the small fan ruining that, but if the stock cooling is adequate then I wouldn't mind going w/ that instead.

I would test it for myself, but I had to RMA my MB so I'm waiting for it to come back and would like to know for when i go to re-install the system.

I am not sure if it is worth it, but I have ordered a NB and SB cooler from MIPS to complement the rest of my system. The current cooling solution from eVGA works well even with serious OC'ing. It may be loud if you working on an excel spreadsheet, however who notices any noise while playing games?

I originally got this for the SB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119080 but I found it was way to noisy. I remember it was very popular for the DFI Lan Party's that I had in the past and were praised for being pretty quiet, so maybe mine is just bad. I'm concerned that the Nexxus I have for the SB - http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241&products_id=4527 is too restrictive, then again I have 4 90 degree elbows so it may not matter.

I don't know if I want to go with a passive HS for the SB because I don't have a lot of airflow in the top portion of my case. I have a single 120mm fan that intakes over my HDD's in a 5 1/4 hard drive bay. The only other fans I have are the 2 120's on my rad in the lower part of my case. Does the SB get hot enough that the Thermalright HR-05 SLI wouldn't cool it well enough with only a small amount of airflow?

I could stand the noise either so I went with a Danger Den water block using the same block for the NB and SB just had to modify the SB so that the 2nd 8800 gtx would fit. nice and quiet, hate those little fans. LOL

Vorg can you post pics of yor NB and SB? How did you modify the SB. I got the Danger Den block for the SB. Didn't know that it could be used on the NB too, it doesn't block your GTX card? Thanks

I had blocks on my nb/sb and had to pull them off and put the fan back on while I'm redoing my loops. That tiny fan is easily the loudest thing in my whole setup and its extremely annoying. I disconnected the fan and I'm running it passive for the time being. It seems to be ok for now, mainly because my cpu fan is sucking air away from it

Back