Worth it to wait? Future 30 inch monitor buyer

So, Christmas is coming up. Right now, im on a pretty good 27 inch monitor (1080p, 60hz, nothing special). My question is, is it worth it to wait. I was looking to add a 30 inch monitor to my desk, ideally something like the dell u3011 etc, especially with the 400 dollar cyber monday discounts left and right. I've heard of the upcoming dell u3013 model that is slated to come out in march (i think). I have used one of apple's 30 inch monitors, with the original AG coating. AWFUL! the screen looked so grainy, like there was dust on it. That said, i know that Dell's line up has less AG coating on it now than before, but is it still an eyesore. Right now, i have two monitors from the same time period as the Apple and they have AG on them, but when in use, i don't notice it at all. I don't need LED backlight or 120hz, but i do need a good monitor.

So my question, at its current standing, is the dell u3011 worth it to buy now, or wait until the rumored 3013 comes out with even more speculated LED back light, and semi-glossy finish? Also, does the 3011 have an excessive amount of ag coating.

Please don't try and sway me to a 120hz IPS 1440p korean. I don't want one for GPU reasons nor have the need for it.

To repeat, go 3011, or wait 3013? thanks in advance.

PS: what would the resell value be of the 3011, 80% of the cost of the 3013 when it comes out?
Specs in sig

All 30" displays use the same coating as the 30" ACD, nothing has changed.

I'm waiting, the monitor I want doesn't exist yet. I got a Korean 27" to pass me over. The dot pitch is a bit too small on the 27" so i would like a 30". However, using a glossy display has spoiled me with AG coating, and Dell's look bad to me now.

I'm waiting for a LED 30" Glossy, i doubt that Dell would make a Glossy screen.

Thanks for the replies. NCX, are you sure about the same panel thing. I was under the impression dell/hp had came out with a semi-glossy panel (i remeber reading a post on the forum by someone about the new semigloss HP monitors). I don't know what revision it was, but it was definitely there.

I'm somewhat tempted to buy a 3011 off amazon and return it if i can't handle the AG. Any way, if any one has any specs of the 3013, feel free to post em.

Thanks

If you're worried about AG, wait. I wasn't worried, but it is noticeable on my HP ZR30w and U3011's at work.

Dell changed the AG on the U2713 to semi-glossy, but it has weird cross-hatching issues while the Samsung PLS and semi-glossy A-MVA panels don't.

Dell changed the AG on the U2713 to semi-glossy, but it has weird cross-hatching issues while the Samsung PLS and semi-glossy A-MVA panels don't.

It's ups and downs either way- I DO like the newer VA panels with decent colors, great contrast and near-zero input lag, but that's in a gaming context. If you need real colors, you need IPS, and Dell/HP is the best there is on the quality/support front.

Thanks NCX for the clarification on the semi-gloss. Looks like no u2713 (not that i was going to get one). I do a tad bit of personal photo editing, lr4 etc, so ips is nice, but not necessary. I would mainly use this would use this monitor as a student, heavy gaming, docs, etc. Overkill, but this is [h]ard forum, not oft forum. I will try and go to a microcenter or something that has them, i know B&H has a plethora of pro grade 30 inch monitors on display, but im rarely in manhattan.

Thanks for all the help. If i don't like the AG on the 3011, then it looks like i will re-evalute and maybe buy a korean (unlikely, as i really want to try out that 30 inch).

Thanks!

Why not just get a nice 32 inch LED HDTV. It would save you money. I'm on a 32inch LG LCD tv from 2008-2009 and its amazing. 60hz 1080p. I wish it was 120.

2560*1600. 32 hdtv only has hdtv and would be worse than what i have now. So no more 1080p for me, especially 32 inches.

There were conflicting reports of a reduced anti-glare on the U3011 Revision A07 here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694717&highlight=u3011+revision

My advice is to wait. When the U3013 goes on sale the U3011 will likely be discounted. You could try one and see if the reduced anti-glare is all that's left, or opt for the U3013.

I also would think the rumored W-LED version would lower power usage quite a bit, which is beneficial if you pay for your own electricity.

I've had a 3008WFP since 2009 and really haven't seen much difference in the 30" LCDs that have been released up to now. Sure, there are minor improvements, but nothing to justify dropping $1K+ on a new one. I'd jump on an LED 30" and even considered buying one of the new U2713 monitors, but am addicted to my 16:10 2560x1600 real estate.

As for an HDTV for monitor solution, I also have a 37" LED 240MHz HDTV. It's got a beautiful picture, but dropping to 1080p for gaming and/or everyday computing is just blech compared to my 30".

Now that I'm finally decided that I can accept the .25 pixel pitch on a 30" monitor , is it still worth waiting for the U3013 ? I will also have to wait for the feedback from the early adopters before I feel confident of getting it.

Any word on the U3013's ETA?

To bring back a dead thread or to be accused of "starting a new thread". I'll damned either way.

Are we any closer to ascertaining if the U3013 is LED backlit?

i thought the next 30 inch monitor would be the u3014, not the 13.

You're right, the next Dell 30" is the U3014

To bring back a dead thread or to be accused of "starting a new thread". I'll damned either way.

Are we any closer to ascertaining if the U3013 is LED backlit?

Everything seems to indicate that the U3014 will use the same LED backlight system as the U2413 and the U2713H.

We brought you the news in December that Dell's new UltraSharp 30" monitor will be called the U3014 and that it should be available in the first quarter of 2013. We now know a few more details about the screen which we will share with our readers. Like the existing U3011 model, the U3014 will be a 30" screen with 2560 x 1600 resolution (16:10 aspect ratio). We also know that like the recently released U2413 and U2713H models the screen will use a GB-LED backlight system offering a wide gamut and coverage of 99% of the Adobe RGB reference space. This equates to ~103% NTSC and covers 100%+ of the sRGB space. Interface wise the U3014 will offer DisplayPort, HDMI and Dual-link DVI (HDCP supported). It will also have a 4 port USB 3.0 hub, full height adjustable stand (tilt, swivel, rotate and height) and an integrated card reader.

While the above information is confirmed...

Last edited:
high end computer lcd's aren't moving as fast in this field, i remember hearing the 8megapixel 30" from dell that never came, higher sized lcd's by only 2" inchs, which also never came. The reason the 30" is so popular is the size(yes 3 extra inches diagonally matters) and the resolution, which is the real prize for gamers or graphic artists. Lack of 120hz.... (would you really want to experience 120hz on something non 30" 2560x1600 panels, i wouldn't) hey my crt did 100hz, doesn't mean i want to go back.

Back