WOrth it to upgrade to a X2 4800+ now?

CopyCat

Supreme [H]ardness
I have the opportunity to upgrade to a 4800+ for $375 from my 3800+ (would sell the 3800+) and was wondering if it was worth it considering whatever may be around the corner for AMD. I am a bit behindon the news these days.

THnx

I doubt the 4800+ would have much headroom over the 3800+ you have now. If your going to upgrade you should actually UPGRADE and get something that overclocks well like an Opteron 165.

Well I won't be overclocking really. The Opteron slower not overclocked ya?

CopyCat said:
Well I won't be overclocking really. The Opteron slower not overclocked ya?
It's slightly faster due to it's extra cache, but if you're not overclocking then it's a waste of money. AM2 will provide no immediate speed boost, it's just to future-proof K8 (DDR2). Go for the 4800+.
(Or admit Intel won and get Conroe :D ).

4800+ has 2x1MB... but they downrright suck at OCing compared to Opterons, seriously, save some money and get a 165

OverclockingGuru said:
4800+ has 2x1MB... but they downrright suck at OCing compared to Opterons, seriously, save some money and get a 165
Well he won't be overclocking really.

Oh, well if you're not overclocking then go for the highest clock speed you can afford.

InorganicMatter said:
It's slightly faster due to it's extra cache, but if you're not overclocking then it's a waste of money. AM2 will provide no immediate speed boost, it's just to future-proof K8 (DDR2). Go for the 4800+.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but as someone who currently has an Intel and AMD rig, I can't see why the people currently using Intel's biggest failure are trumpeting about Conroe instead of being let down by Intel over the Netburst fiasco. Intel is about to make most of your P4s way obsolete and you're happy to death over it :p.

I wouldn't be claiming victory until you have your own Conroe rig.

why do the x2's suck at oc'ing? This one guy has oc'ed his x2 4800 + to 2.94 ghz on water... isn't that pretty good?

boomheadshot45 said:
why do the x2's suck at oc'ing? This one guy has oc'ed his x2 4800 + to 2.94 ghz on water... isn't that pretty good?

They dont suck at oc'ing, in fact they oc quite well.

Ok I guess the real question is this

Is the 4800+ worth $375 bucks??
Should I just get an Opty 170 or does that not clock as easily as the 165??

whatever chip I get will be running on an A8N-SLI Premium.
I feel so out of the loop, haha

Thanks for more info folks!!

InorganicMatter said:
Well he won't be overclocking really.
kangaroo24 said:
Oh, well if you're not overclocking then go for the highest clock speed you can afford.
And I would overclock only if it involved no additional cooling needs (besides a heatsink)...I did water-cooling etc etc years ago and I just want a rig I don't need to babysit anymore.

CopyCat said:
Ok I guess the real question is this

Is the 4800+ worth $375 bucks??
Should I just get an Opty 170 or does that not clock as easily as the 165??

whatever chip I get will be running on an A8N-SLI Premium.
I feel so out of the loop, haha

Thanks for more info folks!!

And I would overclock only if it involved no additional cooling needs (besides a heatsink)...I did water-cooling etc etc years ago and I just want a rig I don't need to babysit anymore.

Opteron 165 overclocks well on air. get one from monarch if they still have the coupon (i think they do) and get a good HSF and some good thermal paste. The 4800+ o/cs well, but the opteron 165 o/cs better :D

I have got like 400 to spend. How about going to a 170 or 175. Or does the 165 OC so well that its not worth the $$ to go a step up

CopyCat said:

I have overclocked my 3800+ to 4600+ levels, all with the retail heatsink / fan that comes with the processor. Did not alter voltage. Temps top out at no higher than 60C (max load), and are a lot lower most of the time. Trust me, these chips can handle 60C.

Why spend more for the same performance increase? These AMD X2 chips LOVE to overclock. Just overclock your existing 3800+.

defaultluser said:
I have overclocked my 3800+ to 4600+ levels, all with the retail heatsink / fan that comes with the processor. Did not alter voltage. Temps top out at no higher than 60C (max load), and are a lot lower most of the time. Trust me, these chips can handle 60C.

Why spend more for the same performance increase? These AMD X2 chips LOVE to overclock. Just overclock your existing 3800+.

Yea, I overclocked my 3800 to 2.66Ghz w/stock cooling&volts, it only got up to 52C but then I changed the heatsink to a freezer64 and now it only gets up to about 46C load. (Or could overclock more but see no reason to)

InorganicMatter said:
Yeah, for now. :p

-- anyways all flamebait aside ;)

FX60 is a solid performer, but for the price you're lookign at the 4800+ is a good bet imo

future proof is true as well, however DDR2 isn't going to yield an immediate increase in performance. down the road, sure.

2.66?

wow. i remembered i had my 3800 at 2.9 or 3 ghz.

try changing the volts.

3800 should be enough till the next gen cpu comes out.

i have a 3800, 4400, 4800. its useless for the games right now.

my old fx 55 oc played better on cs source.

3800 and 4400 started to lag because i didnt overclock.

usally because i turn the setting max and play with like at least 30 people.

coolazn said:
2.66?

wow. i remembered i had my 3800 at 2.9 or 3 ghz.

try changing the volts.

3800 should be enough till the next gen cpu comes out.

i have a 3800, 4400, 4800. its useless for the games right now.

my old fx 55 oc played better on cs source.

3800 and 4400 started to lag because i didnt overclock.

usally because i turn the setting max and play with like at least 30 people.

I can get my cpu up to [email protected] volts but it gets pretty hot (60C) at that temperature and I want my cpu to last a couple years.

Edit: Oh yea and CS:Source is perfectly smooth on my pc at 1280x960 4xSAA, 16xAF, Max details + HDR, overclocking has little impact on cs:s. (played it tonight [email protected] volts, perfectly smooth with 30people, my cpu temps didn't even go past 40C tonight cause it's cold)

Ok

4800+ - $375
or Opty 165 / Opty 170 - $retail

???? final choice

thecoldanddarkone said:
how about 3rd option keep what you have?

Yeah, why don't you just see how high you can get your 3800x2 to go then if you are not happy get something different?

nobi125 said:
Not to be a jerk or anything, but as someone who currently has an Intel and AMD rig, I can't see why the people currently using Intel's biggest failure are trumpeting about Conroe instead of being let down by Intel over the Netburst fiasco. Intel is about to make most of your P4s way obsolete and you're happy to death over it.
See, that's where I win. I'm going straight from S478 to Conroe, skipping the whole Preshot/Smithfield fiasco. Conroe's a win/win for me :p

OP, if you are OK with overclocking (I would, air cooling is a lot better than it used to be) then go for the Opteron 170. Extra cache, and some people are claiming 2.8-2.9GHz on the stock cooling :eek: Oh yeah, and get an SI-120 heatsink. :D

Back