Worth it to buy another GTX260?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have one eVGA GTX260 (the 1257 model to be exact). I was wondering if it would be worth it buying another one for SLI? I dont plan on upgrading my PC for a while and would love for it to still have horsepower for games a year or two from now. I play a lot of RPGs and quite a few shooters (and am waiting patiently for SW:ToR). I love cranking up the settings as high as I can.

They're in stock at newegg for 220ish, I figure I can find one for roughly 200, so, is it worth buying it now and being 1337 with SLI or should I wait and spend that 200 (plus whatever) on another video card down the line?

Because your processor is up to date, I would hold out for a better single solution GPU. My advice would have been different if your CPU had been older - but it isn't.

Start saving up for a newer card and it will REALLY pay off. And hey, DX 11 might actually take off here. Personally, I would not buy a second 260.

First off I wouldn't get one new. Check out ebay, a lot of people are ditching their 2XX cards at the same time. I got a 280 for 200 bucks, shop around.

Micro Center is still selling brand new BFG GTX 260 216 55nm OC for $160. Lifetime warranty.!

you don't need the exact model to sli. just the same gpu. any gtx 260 will work. you can even sli the 192 core versions with the 216 versions.

if you are going to nab one, get one used for cheap. i grabbed a pair of them here on the [H] for 250.00.

Yes it s worth it. What is your resolution? Mine is 2560x1600. DO not bother with DX11.

you don't need the exact model to sli. just the same gpu. any gtx 260 will work. you can even sli the 192 core versions with the 216 versions.

if you are going to nab one, get one used for cheap. i grabbed a pair of them here on the [H] for 250.00.

Oh really? I wasn't aware, I thought it had to be the same model.

The res I'm using is 1680x1050.

I would hold out until nVidia gets their multi-monitor gaming features up and running (nVidia Surround). Otherwise I doubt you'll benefit from a 2nd nVidia GPU, to be honest.

If they get the drivers up and running soon, then you can buy a 2nd GPU. If their drivers suck, or cause your fans to stop working and burn up the GPUs :)p), then you have not wasted your money on a 2nd GPU and can put that cash towards an ATI 5870.

DO not bother with DX11.

All it takes is one title to turn the tides. For DX 9, that title was Call Of Duty 2. Don't believe me? Install Call Of Duty 2, and go into DX 7 mode - it's like night and day between DX 9.

I would never say to somebody just forget about DX 11 - especially at an enthusiast forum.

Oh really? I wasn't aware, I thought it had to be the same model.

The res I'm using is 1680x1050.

If you get a slower card, both will run at the speed of the slower card, but will work together non the less.

Though about this issue for PhysX, I'm holding out for some better DX11 cards personally. Then put my GTX260 to PhysX duties.

If you need the extra gpu horsepower, the 260's do scale very well. Running 2x 260's should keep you good through this current generation of cards. My friend runs 2x 260's on the exact same 1920x1200 monitor that I have and the performance is more or less on par with my 5870 in Bad Company 2.

Hmm, decisions.

I guess I gotta really see, it would be neat having SLI for ePenus purposes and running at 1680x1050, I can definitely have games cranked up for a while. Definitely will have to get a new case for cooling purposes though. And a new PSU.

The performance of 260gtx SLI is around a 295gtx. Not bad but the only you'll be missing out on is lower heat, and D11.

I have nice 260GTX, if your interested. Still under warranty and original boxing with all adapters. 216 SP, 655mhz Core clock, factory oc.

I thought about buying a 2nd GTX 260 but im leaning towards buying a faster single GPU card and use the 260 for Physx instead..

Is "Microstutter" still an issue with SLI configurations? (reffering to this thread)

I think I'm gonna wait until DX11 becomes more mainstream (and doesn't produce enough heat to cook a cow within minutes) and then grab a card and use the 260 for physx

Or you can do what I do and wait to upgrade till the DX11 game you want is on the $10 lane at Wal*mart and/or you can get more graphics processing power out of your soundcard.

Back