Worth it to buy a cheap, used Aeiga Physx card?

You guys coding for software PhysX, hardware accelerated PhysX, or both?

It's the same thing. In the control applet the user specifies whether to use a GPU/PPU for PhysX, or whether to use only the CPU. To the developer it's completely the same thing, the only limit to keep in mind being that a decent GPU can take on literally about 100x as many physics objects while even a mighty i7 CPU would have gone up in a puff of smoke by then (or just result in a very pretty slideshow like when running Crysis on an Intel GMA X4500).

Do you have some references on this? Last time I heard Intel was not interested in and not going to give permission for GPU-accelerated (OpenCL or otherwise) Havok. They did kill off Havok FX after all.

They are not only giving GPU accelerated physics, but also a scalable version of it depending on your machines power:

As for addressing the "effects physics versus gameplay physics" debate, the OpenCL implementation of Havok's APIs might help with this as well. The software developer will be able to query the system it is running on to determine how much processing power it actually has (based on predefined standards from an OpenCL "host") and adapt the algorithms accordingly. If a gamer has a slower CPU but a really fast GPU, for example, the physics models might be able to be increased dramatically; if a user has a higher end CPU but lower end GPU then the same algorithms could be run, just slightly slower, and likely adapted down in quality effects.
http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=6954

From the looks of it PhysX will do fine. First of all it's free for developers; whereas Havok costs $$ to download (SDK) and use (per game), it introduces an additional set of costs developers and publishers aren't interested in. Notice how big developers like EA have embraced PhysX wholeheartedly.

Wholeheartedly isn't the word I would use for it. As I mentioned, Nvidia has done some heavy marketing. EA had physx games under Aegia as well for some titles. They also advertised THQ support for physx the same way. Truth is:

"As a part of our long-standing partnership with Havok, nine out of our ten
internal studios, including Relic, Rainbow and Volition, are actively using
Havok Physics and other Havok products in development today," said Roy Tessler,
THQ's senior vice president, production and worldwide studios.
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS124573+24-Mar-2009+BW20090324

My company went with PhysX for our game engine since it's free (we're a small studio), has a more elegant API (ask our engine dev) and has GPU acceleration with Havok FX still dead and buried.

PhysX isn't free. Only download. The moment you start selling, Nvidia wants their money. Just as Havok (try and use it for free, but if you sell for over 10$ a game... license...):
http://www.havok.com/content/view/622//

Oh sure, I'd love to see an OpenCL-based physics API, but I'd rather have it be PhysX and I somehow don't see Intel (CPU company) give AMD (licensee) permission to revive Havok FX unless Larrabee becomes an astounding success. Which I also don't see happening.

Havok's opencl is not for AMD alone. Havok is middleware, not ATIware or Intelware. Physx on the other hand is Nvidiaware since only their cards have full support for it. Nvidia's cards will get support for Havok as well through opencl.

Havok is already supported on all hardware and their GPU acceleration support is going to be supported on all hardware as well. There are projects going on to implement opencl on PS3 as example, which will give GPU accelerated Havok support there also.

As mentioned, Nvidia is going in the other direction limiting the userbase for GPU accelerated Physx now that they are blocking any support for their own GPU's to be used as a secondary PPU card if combined with competitor cards.

As John Carmack said "I hope that Nvidia didn’t pay a whole lot of money for PhysX".

Nvidia is probably trying to milk what they can out of Physx selling cards now, before Havok's opencl physics kicks in and kills the competition. Why else would they limit their userbase for accelerated Physx? Middleware producers usually have a business strategy to expand their userbase and thus sell more, not limit it. How can Physx compete against Havok when Havok is making solutions for physics to run well on all hardware (scalable for both CPU and GPU/vendor agnostic) and PhysX being advertised as Nvidia PhysX (vendor ware)?

PhysX isn't free. Only download. The moment you start selling, Nvidia wants their money. Just as Havok (try and use it for free, but if you sell for over 10$ a game... license...):
http://www.havok.com/content/view/622//
I'm not sure where you are getting that from, but I can tell you that the PhysX license we agreed to doesn't include any clause about paying nVidia a cent. NVidia sees PhysX as a way to promote nVidia cards, they don't care about making money from the actual API.

Havok's opencl is not for AMD alone. Havok is middleware, not ATIware or Intelware. Physx on the other hand is Nvidiaware since only their cards have full support for it. Nvidia's cards will get support for Havok as well through opencl.
Intel owns Havok. AMD is a licensee. NVidia owns PhysX. AMD refused to license PhysX. Havok FX is still dead, even long after OpenCL gets out of Beta.

Havok is already supported on all hardware and their GPU acceleration support is going to be supported on all hardware as well. There are projects going on to implement opencl on PS3 as example, which will give GPU accelerated Havok support there also.
There's still no evidence of Havok FX going to be revived. All we have seen was a developer prototype.

As mentioned, Nvidia is going in the other direction limiting the userbase for GPU accelerated Physx now that they are blocking any support for their own GPU's to be used as a secondary PPU card if combined with competitor cards.
I'll agree that was a stupid and hard to understand action.

As John Carmack said "I hope that Nvidia didn’t pay a whole lot of money for PhysX".
John Carmack hasn't been relevant since the 90s.

Nvidia is probably trying to milk what they can out of Physx selling cards now, before Havok's opencl physics kicks in and kills the competition. Why else would they limit their userbase for accelerated Physx? Middleware producers usually have a business strategy to expand their userbase and thus sell more, not limit it. How can Physx compete against Havok when Havok is making solutions for physics to run well on all hardware (scalable for both CPU and GPU/vendor agnostic) and PhysX being advertised as Nvidia PhysX (vendor ware)?

Havok FX is still dead with the corpse doing not even so much as twitching. Intel doesn't want it revived, and AMD has zero say over what happens with Havok, no matter how many pretty demos they show.

I'm not sure where you are getting that from, but I can tell you that the PhysX license we agreed to doesn't include any clause about paying nVidia a cent. NVidia sees PhysX as a way to promote nVidia cards, they don't care about making money from the actual API.

My mistake. I remembered reading about licencing of PhysX, but I checked it up and it was for source sdk only. Looks like Nvidia is giving it away for free to sell cards as Aegia did before. Confirmes that PhysX for Nvidia is more to push Nvidia GPU's then as middleware.

Intel owns Havok. AMD is a licensee. NVidia owns PhysX. AMD refused to license PhysX. Havok FX is still dead, even long after OpenCL gets out of Beta.

I don't know why you are pushing Havok FX and also that AMD licence it? Havok's opencl will be enabled to any card that supports Opencl by default. No need for licence. Thats the beauty of it.

There's still no evidence of Havok FX going to be revived. All we have seen was a developer prototype.

You're the only one talking about havok fx. :) I'm talking about havok and their opencl support. As you saw in the link, there is evidence (said out clear actually) that Havok (and AMD) is working on the opencl version of Havok.

I'll agree that was a stupid and hard to understand action.
Its not so stupid and hard to understand as you showed me above. Nvidia is going the same way as Aegia did earlier (2006 I think) by giving Physx away for free to push some hardware. Havok on the other hand, is earning its money as middleware without pushing hardware (its hardware agnostic). Since an old 8800GT is sufficient as dedicated PPU, they won't sell that much new hardware if people can choose competitor cards as main renderer. AMD and Nvidia cares more about what they can sell, then what they have already sold. I have no illusions about those companies being there for any "idealistical" purposes then the money.

Nvidia played hardball, trying to push ATI to adopt PhysX by licencing CUDA at the same time, giving up ATI stream. Intel offered Havok through opencl without CUDA. Nvidia lost. Now ATI (and Nvidia) will get hardware accelerated physics through Opencl instead. Developers will get 100% userbase for it and consumers win.

Nvidia will then have a PhysX which is only hardware accelerated on their own cards. What do you think will happen with PhysX then? ;)

John Carmack hasn't been relevant since the 90s.[/qoute]

I'll let this speak for him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Carmack

Havok FX is still dead with the corpse doing not even so much as twitching. Intel doesn't want it revived, and AMD has zero say over what happens with Havok, no matter how many pretty demos they show.

Any source of this? I'm not talking about Havok FX, but Havok's opencl... I can't remember reading anywhere that Intel doesn't want Havok on opencl.

The demo's shown, was a cooperation between Havok and ATI announcing an upcoming project. First of all, GPU support needs to be public for OpenCL (CPU is already certified), secondly, Havok is earning their money as middleware:

“We are excited that AMD and Havok are working together and leveraging an open standard like OpenCL.”

Even today, most developers are actually paying for Havok instead of using PhysX for free. This is on CPU. Havok is putting their developement money into an optimized combined CPU/GPU solution which is scalable.

Developers wants as big market as possible. People play games on laptops, desktops, consoles and even handheld devices. CUDAs Physx is limited to Nvidia GPU's and only those of 8xxx series and above. Hardware accelerated physx stops there. If they implement anything crucial to gameplay which requires hardware accelerated physics, there's only a small portion of the market that can utilize it. Even smaller then what you think, considering that not all have dual cards or highend GPU's. Some need to choose their settings and reserve their shader power for other tasks then Physx.

Havok on Opencl will be enabled by default by anything that supports it. Since its scalable and combines the resources of GPU AND CPU, developers can more easy make it run on all hardware. Even lowend hardware. PhysX is on/off.

The announcement states plainly, "Havok will enable game developers to offer improved performance and interactivity across a broad range of OpenCL capable PCs."
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16640

When will it come? At least not before this has happened (due this year):
The Khronos group officially ratified OpenCL 1.0 recently that with that complete, AMD, NVIDIA, Intel and others are working hard to get their products driver stacks ready for the new compute language. AMD now has a working driver for its CPUs and GPUs, though not available to the public, and that is what the Havok physics APIs be demonstrated are utilizing.

It is easy to see why Nv has prevented the use of Nv cards for PhysX when used with a competitors card. They want people to buy NV cards. They do not want people to buy a 4970 and use an old 8xxx or 9xxx Nv card for PhysX. What that means for PhysX is obvious. While PhysX will live on in CPU mode, a hardware accelerated requirement for it will never be universally adopted. And the places where it is adopted, it will be token visual enhancements only. Developers typically code to the lowest denominator, and toss in a few perks for the high end enthusiast crowd. The days when there were games written exclusively for one gpu died with 3dfx. Judging by their actions, Nv seems determined to kill hardware accelerated physics.

AMD was correct not to jump on the PhysX bandwagon. Nv would have insured that Ati was always backseat with changes to the code and drivers that insured it ran best on Nv hardware. Just like they have with eliminating using a Nv card for PhysX along side an Ati card in their drivers. Had they open sourced PhysX, instead of retaining control, Ati might have jumped on board and hardware accelerated PhysX would prolly already be the defacto standard for upcoming games. Hardware accelerated PhysX would then become the lowest denominator. Devs would be able to cut loose and actually do something groundbreaking with PhysX.

Intel owns Havok. Intel hasn't said anything about working on or being in favour of a GPU-accelerated version of Havok (originally called Havok FX before Intel killed the project after buying the Havok company). That alone should say enough. Even if it were true, I doubt nVidia would just allow Havok to run on its GPUs, bringing back the whole graphics API wars of the 90s, only this time about physics APIs.

It's really a messy situation, which could have been resolved by AMD opting to allow for PhysX acceleration on their GPUs as well. I really fail to see how AMD would not benefit from licensing PhysX, other than having to pay some money to nVidia instead of Intel each year.

Nv was offering it for free to Ati, the problem was as I already stated. AMD jumping on would have made PhysX the standard for hardware accelerated physics, with Nv retaining full control. Nv, like any other company in control of a standard is going to insure that they are the king. AMD figured they would always be out performed by Nv, because they assumed that Nv would insure that PhysX ran best on Nv hardware. Nv would also know what is coming next for PhysX and would have a large lead on tailoring their hardware to perform PhysX better. AMD was not thinking they were going to get a fair shake and walked, I can't blame them.
You are right, it is a mess. One that has set back hardware accelerated physics until an open standard comes about and gets accepted by developers or MS decides to add physics to DX12 or 13 or whatever.
Intel wants physics done on the cpu, Nv wants it done on the gpu, and AMD wants it done on the gpu as well but can't figure out a way to compete while Nv holds all the cards and so is waiting for an open standard.

Last edited:
Intel owns Havok. Intel hasn't said anything about working on or being in favour of a GPU-accelerated version of Havok (originally called Havok FX before Intel killed the project after buying the Havok company). That alone should say enough. Even if it were true, I doubt nVidia would just allow Havok to run on its GPUs, bringing back the whole graphics API wars of the 90s, only this time about physics APIs.

It's really a messy situation, which could have been resolved by AMD opting to allow for PhysX acceleration on their GPUs as well. I really fail to see how AMD would not benefit from licensing PhysX, other than having to pay some money to nVidia instead of Intel each year.

Intel haven't said anything for or against GPU-accelerated Havok. What they have said is as following:
Intel has pledged that Havok will continue with its cross-platform philosophy and Intel will employ a hands-off management approach, giving Dublin-based Havok the opportunity to take maximum advantage of Intel engineering resources and software tools, while enhancing its popular middleware for the strongly competitive game market.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/art...re-havok-talks-simulating-real-world-physics/

Making Havok a more clear choice for ATI. Especially since PhysX was offered to ATI on the condition that they adopted CUDA as well. If Nvidia would have ported PhysX to OpenCL, they wouldn't need to offer it to ATI, since it would be enabled by default as with Havok.

In addition:
AMD, NVIDIA, Intel and others are working hard to get their products driver stacks ready for the new compute language.

Meaning Intel supports Opencl.

Havok on the other hand have already stated (GDC 2009) that they work with ATI towards a GPU-accelerated Havok (opencl) and they have proven with demos a port to Opencl as well.

Nvidia would struggle a bit if they block the worlds biggest physics middleware producer Havok. Then they would go from shooting themselves in the foot to shooting themselves in the head. Instead, Nvidia will be forced to offer PhysX on OpenCL or let it die. Considering that they don't make money on PhysX (giving it for free), they need to change the business model as well or throw money out the window.

Last edited:
Can we all just agree on that there's a lot to speculate on, but nothing concrete to suggest a change from the current situation? :)

Until we something that is available to consumers/developers which is not in beta or a prototype I'll believe it's real. I mean, heck, look at OpenCL, was supposed to be available from AMD and/or nVidia by the second half of 2009, and at this point it looks like it'll take until next year before we'll see a working solution. I am very skeptical of pie-in-the-sky press releases and demos/announcements, especially after a delay or two.

Can we all just agree on that there's a lot to speculate on, but nothing concrete to suggest a change from the current situation? :)

Opencl for Havok is advertised and has been for a year already. Of course, they started advertising it before opencl was ready. Now its been demonstrated already on ATI GPU's. I wouldn't call it a speculation THAT Opencl based Havok will come.

Speculations is when it will come and how it will impact the physics market. That we agree upon. You, who is fond of GPU accelerated physics, would you see any reason why Havok shouldn't go in that direction (which they advertised and demonstrated)?

Until we something that is available to consumers/developers which is not in beta or a prototype I'll believe it's real. I mean, heck, look at OpenCL, was supposed to be available from AMD and/or nVidia by the second half of 2009, and at this point it looks like it'll take until next year before we'll see a working solution. I am very skeptical of pie-in-the-sky press releases and demos/announcements, especially after a delay or two.

OpenCL was supposed to be ready by the first half of 2009 if I remember correctly. Nvidia have already a "pre-release OpenCL conformance candidate" ready for download (in May this year, which I would consider a "working solution") and ATI have only their CPU conformance version for download and their GPU version delivered to selected developers.

OpenCL Havok will probably not be released before ATI have their final version (khronos approved) ready.

Speculations is when it will come and how it will impact the physics market. That we agree upon. You, who is fond of GPU accelerated physics, would you see any reason why Havok shouldn't go in that direction (which they advertised and demonstrated)?

They're more than welcome to. I just wouldn't want to use Havok within my company due to its pricing strategy and less refined API compared to PhysX.

More than Havok entering the fray I would prefer to see AMD embracing PhysX and ending this war of physics APIs before it really starts, as nobody will benefit from it.

In most newer things that support PhysX, I would think that one of the old AGEIA cards would hurt your FPS.

I currently have a GTS250 that I picked up in Ebay for $78.80 including shiiping for use as a PhysX card along side my ATI HD4850.

Haven't had the chance to play any games that support PhysX yet, but the stuff I downloaded from Nvidia's site runs really really well with this setup.

With the screen saver, with the most "taxing" settings at 1680x1050 it is usually at 60fps but drops to around 52-55fps in some places.

With the weird "alien" demo "game" thing it ran perfectly smooth at highest settings.

In most newer things that support PhysX, I would think that one of the old AGEIA cards would hurt your FPS.

I currently have a GTS250 that I picked up in Ebay for $78.80 including shiiping for use as a PhysX card along side my ATI HD4850.

Haven't had the chance to play any games that support PhysX yet, but the stuff I downloaded from Nvidia's site runs really really well with this setup.

With the screen saver, with the most "taxing" settings at 1680x1050 it is usually at 60fps but drops to around 52-55fps in some places.

With the weird "alien" demo "game" thing it ran perfectly smooth at highest settings.

Stick with the old drivers, since in the new drivers Nv disabled PhysX support on systems where a non Nv gpu was being used for rendering

Stick with the old drivers, since in the new drivers Nv disabled PhysX support on systems where a non Nv gpu was being used for rendering

I am well aware of this.... And the newer drivers even disable Hardware PhysX if an ATI card is even present in the system.

Working on figuring out how to get past this little "inconvienience" though....

If the NV drivers don't know the ATI card is there.. they won't disable PhysX now will they? ;)

I am well aware of this.... And the newer drivers even disable Hardware PhysX if an ATI card is even present in the system.

Working on figuring out how to get past this little "inconvienience" though....

If the NV drivers don't know the ATI card is there.. they won't disable PhysX now will they? ;)

Oh, I am sure some one is already hacking them. Still, I wonder how far Nv will go with trying to lock them down. We will see I guess.

They're more than welcome to. I just wouldn't want to use Havok within my company due to its pricing strategy and less refined API compared to PhysX.

More than Havok entering the fray I would prefer to see AMD embracing PhysX and ending this war of physics APIs before it really starts, as nobody will benefit from it.

We've seen how Nvidia plays with PhysX and its an ugly picture (I'm refering to the disabling of GPU physics on systems that uses an Nvidia card for physx and a competitor for the rendering of the games). Nvidia is dictating to reviewers how they should review their cards and what games to use (which Nvidia cards are optimized). [H] and Kyle refused to be pushed around, though some review sites bowed and kissed Nvidia's feet. I have zero faith in Nvidia as neutral middleware and as a consumer, manipulation like this does me no favors. Who's to say that Nvidia is not going to reduce the performance of PhysX on competitor cards as well?

Your company might not like the price for Havok, but unless you are going to charge more then 10$ for your games, its free. If you are going to charge more, I, as a consumer don't like your price. Game developers bakes the costs of physics into the price of the game. Whatever you save by not using Havok, I would prefer going into Havoks pockets as hardware agnostic middleware then in yours where I am paying in your pockets for Nvidia commercials.

As for Havok's API, its won awards as numbero uno as middleware.

I doubt that ATI will ever support Physx by their own choice. Nobody held Nvidia back from developing PhysX on ATI cards, since stream SDK is available for everyone including Nvidia. ATI is better served with Havok, especially since Intel has a "hands off management" policy regarding Havok, making them a somewhat independent middleware developer.

As for you doubting Opencl, here's something from Siggraph 2009:
V-Ray RT... Target to release using OpenCl
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54987

They are not the only ones developing with OpenCL as their API of choice.

Your company might not like the price for Havok, but unless you are going to charge more then 10$ for your games, its free. If you are going to charge more, I, as a consumer don't like your price. Game developers bakes the costs of physics into the price of the game. Whatever you save by not using Havok, I would prefer going into Havoks pockets as hardware agnostic middleware then in yours where I am paying in your pockets for Nvidia commercials.

There are two main physics APIs, one is free, the other has lots of fees and strings attached. We picked the first one, allowing us to keep the prices of our games as low as possible. We also use OpenGL and OpenAL, neither of which require any kind of licensing fees. We intend to sell our first games for around $5-10. You're complaining about what exactly again?

There are two main physics APIs, one is free, the other has lots of fees and strings attached. We picked the first one, allowing us to keep the prices of our games as low as possible. We also use OpenGL and OpenAL, neither of which require any kind of licensing fees. We intend to sell our first games for around $5-10. You're complaining about what exactly again?

PhysX has strings attached. If you are selling your games for around $5-10 Havok is free as well (without any strings attached).

I'd support physx if nvidia weren't such dicks and lock out all ati users with latest drivers and phys support.

PhysX has strings attached. If you are selling your games for around $5-10 Havok is free as well (without any strings attached).

You still need to buy the Havok license. And $5-10 games are peanuts. Can't get the development costs of any serious game out of it unless you sell a few million at the very least.

You still need to buy the Havok license. And $5-10 games are peanuts. Can't get the development costs of any serious game out of it unless you sell a few million at the very least.

No, you don't have to buy the Havok license. Its free for any freeware or games that costs less then 10$. Even if you plan to sell it for much more, you don't have to buy the Havok license (then you have to buy it WHEN you are releasing it and if it never gets released, you don't pay anything).

No, you don't have to buy the Havok license. Its free for any freeware or games that costs less then 10$. Even if you plan to sell it for much more, you don't have to buy the Havok license (then you have to buy it WHEN you are releasing it and if it never gets released, you don't pay anything).

Yet the fact remains that for serious, $10+ games PhysX is much cheaper than Havok. Tell me, what strings are there attached to using PhysX? It's free, it runs on any system (CPU) just like Havok... oh, and PhysX's API is less crufty than Havok's. It's win-win all around.

Yet the fact remains that for serious, $10+ games PhysX is much cheaper than Havok. Tell me, what strings are there attached to using PhysX? It's free, it runs on any system (CPU) just like Havok... oh, and PhysX's API is less crufty than Havok's. It's win-win all around.

With Havoks new homepage, it looks like a standard download is free (not totally, since its paid with advertisements) even above $10, but you then need to request a no-charge PC Game distribution license from Havok:
http://www.havok.com/index.php?page=pro

Here's some of the strings attached with PhysX (I hope that you have notified Nvidia already about your games in developement, otherwise, you'll discover its not free ;) ):

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO NOTIFY NVIDIA PRIOR TO USE OF
THE PHYSX SDK IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF ANY
COMMERCIAL PHYSICS APPLICATION. PLEASE SEND
NOTIFICATION BY EMAIL TO:
[email protected] AND PROVIDE THE
FOLLOWING INFORMATION IN THE EMAIL:

- COMPANY NAME
- PUBLISHER NAME
- GAME TITLE
- PLATFORMS (I.E. PC, XBOX, PS3, WII)
- SCHEDULED SHIP DATE

UPON NVIDIA'S REQUEST, YOU MUST PROVIDE NVIDIA WITH
TWO (2) COPIES OF SUCH COMMERCIAL PHYSICS
APPLICATION AND ANY RELATED DOCUMENTATION. ANY
COMMERCIAL PHYSICS APPLICATION INTEGRATING THE
PHYSX SDK IS SUBJECT TO A LICENSE TO NVIDIA FOR USE
AND PUBLIC DISPLAY OF SUCH PHYSICS APPLICATION FOR
ADVERTISING AND MARKETING PURPOSES.

FAILURE TO NOTIFY NVIDIA PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION
SHALL BE CONSIDERED A MATERIAL BREACH OF THIS
AGREEMENT. IN ADDITION, IF YOU FAIL TO NOTIFY NVIDIA
OF USE OF PHYSX SDK PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION OR FAIL
TO PROVIDE ATTRIBUTION PURSUANT TO SECTION 6, YOU
SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT TO NVIDIA OF ALL
STANDARD LICENSING FEES FOR THE PHYSX SDK

Not to mention that you must not forget to advertise everywhere (unless you wish to pay):
6. Attribution Requirements and Trademark License. You must provide attribution
to NVIDIA, PhysX® by NVIDIA, and the NVIDIA PhysX SDK.

A: You will include a reference to the PhysX SDK and NVIDIA in any press releases
for such Game that relate to NVIDIA, or in-game physics, and will identify
NVIDIA as the provider of the "Physics Engine" (or such other term or phrase as
indicated by NVIDIA from time to time).
B: For Games and Demos that incorporate the PhysX SDK or portions thereof, the
NVIDIA and PhysX by NVIDIA logos must appear:
a. on the back cover of the instruction manual or similar placement in an
electronic file for the purpose of acknowledgement/copyright/trademark
notice;
b. on external packaging;
c. during opening marquee or credits with inclusion of “PhysX by NVIDIA”;
d. must appear on title marketing feature list with a specific call-out of
PhysX Technology
e. on the credit screen; and
f. in the “About” or “Info” box menu items (or equivalent) of all Physics
Games or Applications using any portion of the PhysX SDK.
C: Provide a quote citing the Licensee’s integration of the PhysX SDK into the
Game or Application for NVIDIA’s use in press materials and website.
D: Refer to NVIDIA’s PhysX SDK in all press coverage referring to the use of a
physics engine in the development of any Game or Application.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE ATTRIBUTION PURSUANT TO THIS
SECTION SHALL BE CONSIDERED A MATERIAL BREACH OF
THIS AGREEMENT.

So, write PhysX and Nvidia everywhere. For gods sake, don't forget to talk about Nvidia if you talk about your game....

Qoutes are from here:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/PhysX/EULA/NVIDIA PhysX SDK EULA.pdf

PhysX free? The EULA says its a big ball and chain where you need to remember who you mention everywhere if you don't wish to pay a 100 000$ bill per game or if you forget to tell Nvidia about every game you develope with PhysX, or if you forget to send them a couple of copies...

Last edited:
Ah yes, EULAs. Their validity, especially in the EU (where my company is based) is questionable at best. If nVidia wants to, they can take us to court for not paying non-existing license fees for a free SDK. We just use their SDK, which is specified as being free for commercial use, show the PhysX logo in the credits and that's it. Not even other big, commercial games show the PhysX logo and such as the EULA specifies in all places it mentions.

Did I mention yet that EULAs are of questionable value? They're not contracts, there's no licensing agreement being signed, just an EULA which may or may not have been read by the developer and which can be changed at any time without notification to the developer using the SDK.

When using Havok, however, it is clearly spelled out that you're signing a licensing agreement with the company owning it. Their SDK isn't free for use in commercial settings, and there is no reasonable expectation of it being free as there is with the PhysX SDK. Very different situation.

If you don't respect the EULA (END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT) and follow the terms, you might just as well use a pirated version of any physics engine. Even in EU anything else would be piracy.

As you see, it is a license.

In Havok, you have also a licence, but if its under $10 they say:

If you plan to sell your commercial PC Game for a retail value of less than or equal to $10 USD, the PC Game distribution license is NOT required from Havok … knock yourself out!

If you plan to sell your commercial PC Game above a retail value of $10 USD, (or equivalent amount in other currencies based on prevailing exchange rates at the time of launch), you must first request a no-charge PC Game distribution license from Havok at www.havok.com/PCgamedistribution, prior to retail release of your game. This PC Game distribution agreement is required to ensure you have complied with Havok logo, copyright, and attribution requirements, and that your application is a PC game (commercial non-game application distribution is not allowed). There will be no fee associated with this because the license fee has been covered by Intel under a commercial agreement with Havok.

Well, the thing is that I didn't see the EULA until today. You don't need to click through it to download the PhysX SDK. There is no indication elsewhere that you have to do anything but download and use it. The installer doesn't (AFAIK) have the EULA. I consider an EULA to be in addition to, not as the sole place to find out requirements and such. If nVidia can't be bothered to put it on the developer's site, then it's their problem, as we did look through all non-legalese pages. The Havok site in comparison does list it in an accessible place.

I mean, did you ever read your OS's EULA? Photoshop's? Some random application or library? If at no point it's even made a requirement to even look at the EULA, even if it's just in the installer, then I feel it's more of a money grab than a sincere attempt at an agreement between the producer and customer.

Back