Worth going to AM2.

kleox64

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently have the A8N32-SLI, with the AM2 release very near will it be worth upgrading to AM2 so that I can get maximum resale value on my current mobo, X2 4400 and 3500LL.

Very likely there will only be minimal performance gains, but the advantage of switching over is that now you can keep your RAM and move between Intel and AM2 setups if you so desire.

As for resale value, the longer you wait, the less money you'll get for your system, but that's generally always true.

Best to wait with the hardware you have now but each his own i guess, i'm waiting her myself.

the latest Iam prepared to wait is when G80/Vista arrives at least a couple weeks before, maybe november.

I am gonna be waitin myself, at least a year. I just got an X2 4800, and that should work just dandy for a long long time...

its only inconvinience but I will save money in the long run, and I have my P4 setup during the time Iam without a PC.

I would agree that you shouldn't upgrade, AM2 is not going to be much of an improvement over your rig. But I might go the AM2 route, because my system is due for an upgrade. My 2800+ isn't cutting it anymore these days. Plus my DDR333 RAM...ugh.

I would wait until the AM2 accually comes out and then decide. :p I mean there is a chance that maybe there will be bigger gains than we are expecting from AM2. If there isnt significant gains then I would hold on to your system that you have. If you sell you rig you will still be paying a significant chunk of money to get a small performance gain.

Plus the nForce4 platform is a mature, stable platform. Buying new cutting edge technology sometimes comes with glitches and bumps along the way until the drivers all get optimized.

Bottom line - If your goal is to upgrade before Vista at least wait until AM2 comes out and make sure there are no surprises/bugs before you blindly jump in head first. Just my .02.

Back