Worth getting the FX-4100 for HTPC?

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
I am trying to build a cheap HTPC for movies and gaming. I don't want to spend more than $1,000. Currently considering the FX-4100 and the HD 7850, but I'm not sure about the CPU. I definitely want to go AMD on this one, and probably some form of bulldozer. The FX-4100 is a nice budget price and seems OK. I don't need a powerhouse for this system, just something that is good enough to play HD movies and some games (at moderate settings). I like the price on the FX-4100, but I could probably go as high as $200 for something better.

Is this a good choice, or is there something better from AMD?

Just make sure you get a good board with some vrm cooling, I've seen serious throttling issues at stock clocks on the FX-4100 when under load due to overheating vrms.

4+1 phase should do the trick.

I would recommend a 960t. Paired with the 7850 you will play most games at high settings 1080p

I would recommend a 960t. Paired with the 7850 you will play most games at high settings 1080p

I can pretty much guarantee he won't actually be able to see any difference between the two in games, and both are more than adequate for HD video. The only real benefit of the 960t is the possibility of unlocking the disabled cores.

Since this is for an HTPC I'm guessing that overclocking isn't a big concern, but you shouldn't have any trouble running the 4100 at 4.2 GHz at or just above stock voltage. An Intel i3 would probably be a better choice for what you're doing (less power consumption), but the FX-4100 isn't bad. If you didn't need the high-end GPU I'd push you towards something on socket FM1, their integrated HD65xx GPUs are perfect for HD video and light gaming.

Last edited:
So I ended up going with the FX-4100. Got it on sale at NewEgg for $100, seemed like a good buy for the price. Will be putting the rig together this week, let you guys know what I think.

Well this isn't really a HTPC as you want to game on it...The FX-4100 is not a good choice for gaming

I would of also went 960T or even AMD llano for this build. The 960t is generally same price as FX4100 and has much better IPC, plus if it unlocks to six cores it would be very good for ripping movies and stuff.

I had an FX4100 and didnt have any issues with games, but the 960t would of been better in about everyway.

Are you stuck with an AMD setup? You really might consider the competition's new 3770S for HTPC purposes. Either way, having a dedicated video card is not ideal on a HTPC in terms of cost and power usage.

Well I got the machine together. Seems alright, not high-end but I knew that going in. I'm able to play Battlefield 3 on High settings getting around 75FPS average. Can play L4D2 and get what looks like over 120FPS. Not bad for an $800 computer.

I knew the FX-4100 wasn't the best CPU, but I didn't need anything crazy. I just wanted something cheap and that would be around the same performance as my main rig (using an E8400, see sig). For that, it seems acceptable. Still need to test some more games, but so far I'm happy with it.

I mean...with your video card you should be playing on Ultra. If you still can, I would urge you to return your processor. If you want cheap, get an Athon II for around $80. If you want power, get a Phenom II for around $100.

The FX-4100 for you makes zero sense.

Are you stuck with an AMD setup? You really might consider the competition's new 3770S for HTPC purposes. Either way, having a dedicated video card is not ideal on a HTPC in terms of cost and power usage.

That is a $300 processor. And it is a stupid one at that.

I think the intel i3-2100 would ideal in this situation. Low power, low cost, and overall high performance in games.

Although there is nothing wrong with the Phenoms and Bulldozer, the intel is a bit better suited to an htpc and can run with out a graphics card.

Back