Worth fixing up an old Norco 4020?

Tough decision, but it looks like it may be Seasonic. I need to email that company though to see what it would cost since the splitters would be cheap from monoprice. It doesn't look like they sell Sata to Molex only the other way around.

The BTOS/Seasonic Molex spare cable is here ($5). Both Seasonic & eVGA SATA/Molex source connectors on the PSU are interchangeable as I noted above, so a combined total of 3 or preferably 4 of those connectors on the PSU is enough.

You should ask eVGA if they will provide additional Molex cables (because only one is included). Alternatively, no matter what manufacturer, these one-to-one SATA->Molex Monoprice cables are fantastic. I used them for ~3 years when I didn't have a modular PSU in my 4224. Cut off the floppy connector unless you need it, and wrap some electrical tape around the SATA-SATA connection to ensure it doesn't slip off while you're working inside the chassis.

If you're on a budget and OK with a fixed mobo cable but otherwise modular, this eVGA 650W looks good for $60 after rebate. Add 5-6 of the Monoprice SATA-molex cables for ~$12 shipped and you'd be set.

I didn't find it hard at all to modify my Supermicro case to make it quieter.
I simply removed the [846] stock fan hardware and put in a Norco 120mm fanwall which fit perfectly fine unaltered.

Well, if you rip out the PSUs/PDB, of course the Norco fanwall will fit (as it will in almost any 4U chassis). I'm not ready for that radical a solution yet :)

On the subject of expander,

I've just learned that one of these $9 $7 adapters (hat tip Stereodude ) work perfectly well to power the cheap HP SAS expander.... only the Molex connection is required, ignore the USB & PCIe 1x (they're supposed to be for multiple GPUs for bitcoin mining).

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's not true. The PERIF1 and SATA connectors are the same, so extra Molex cables connected to the "SATA" ports on the PSU will work just fine [EVGA staff confirms SATA & PERIF are interchangeable; common connector for DIY cables]. Modular cables are keyed, notice that the keying on the SATA/PERIF ports is identical below:

6euUS5m.jpg
Da fuck? When I tried that with the 750G2 and the 750B2, it didn't work at all!

Da fuck? When I tried that with the 750G2 and the 750B2, it didn't work at all!

Don't know dude, that's weird! The only thing I can think of is that SATA has a 3.3v line in addition to 5V and 12V, but never heard of a drive using it. If EVGA has different electrical connections for connectors which are physically keyed the same, big NONO, shame on them. I was considering a high-end EVGA for my new build once Broadwell-E is out, but if they play these games I'll stick with Seasonic TYVM.

Don't know dude, that's weird! The only thing I can think of is that SATA has a 3.3v line in addition to 5V and 12V, but never heard of a drive using it. If EVGA has different electrical connections for connectors which are physically keyed the same, big NONO, shame on them. I was considering a high-end EVGA for my new build once Broadwell-E is out, but if they play these games I'll stick with Seasonic TYVM.
Hmm...for now, I would side with "official" statements and wait for more people, if any, to report the same issue as I did. Could be just a case of very bad luck.

Well it looks like there was a wrench thrown into my plans.

The bad...I can't find anything I am dying to play since BDO and The Division didn't grab me. I hate to build a new gaming PC and then not use it for anything but surfing the web. I also don't want to spend the money on a PC just to hold me over until it is time to game. I could potentially throw a build together based on old hardware I have laying around, but I would still need to grab a SSD and possibly memory. I need to see what I have laying around that would even work. I think I have an i5-651 with mobo and PSU, but not sure about memory or a spare case.

The good...I spoke to my IT department at work and in the next few months they are doing server upgrades so I may be able to snag some of the old hardware for cheap or free. The only catch is I don't know what they are going to have.

For now I think I may pick up a 4TB red to upgrade one of my Synology drives which then lets me use the old 3TB it replaces as an actual upgrade in the DX513 which would get me another TB of space which should free me up enough for a month or two.

Wait what? I thought you already had an existing gaming PC?

I do. I currently have two PCs in two rooms where both are used daily.

One is in my bedroom which is the old i7-860 which is also the current Plex server. It gets used every day but mainly as a web browser and also as my iTunes sync for my iPod Classic.
The second is in the living room which is the i7-4770K which serves as my gaming PC and also when I need to work from home. It gets used daily even when not gaming.

The plan was to move the second, current gaming PC, into the Norco. Then at the same time build a new gaming PC for the living room to replace the one going into the Norco. I swear I mentioned it since I was just going to use my existing PSU in the new gaming build and buy the Seasonic for the Norco.

Ahhh I didn't catch that to be honest.

Why not just move your plex server over to the Norco? In case that plan is a no-go, then yes I would recommend the "whatever you have lying around' route as well. My current 18TB RAIDZ2 is connected to a Phenom II X4 B93. Never really experience any performance issues. So a i5 651 isn't bad at all.

The current Plex server isn't keeping up these days as more family uses it over mobile and remotely. It can handle two streams ok, but sometimes chokes. I need it to handle 3-4 which my i7-4770K would be perfect since it leaves room for growth and still some free cycles if some other process grabs the CPU.

This is actually why I started looking at the Norco since I was debating a new Plex server and buying a third Synology since I had spare drives not being used. I started wondering if I could combine them in the Norco which would easily handle more drives as I continue to upgrade the Synology drives which leaves me with more spare reds.

The lowest they will go on the H200 is $55 each with free shipping. I was hoping for a better deal with two, but I will probably pull the trigger anyway.
You can get this H310 instead for $49 if you haven't bought yet.

Last edited:
Nice. I haven't picked up anything. I added those to my watchlist so I can bug my IT department to see if they have a clue on what they might be upgrading so I know what I can snag.

I am guessing these flash the same as the H200 and this is just the newer model?

Looks like Newegg has the Seasonic X850 gold on sale for $100 with promo code, EMCEHEJ24, before rebate so I will probably pick that up today.

Last edited:
Back