Worst PC game purchase this year?

So what do you guys think was your worst PC game purchase this year? For me the worst purchase was undoubtly Modern Warfare 3. To think that I paid 56$ for it on Amazon (with $10 instore credit) is almost criminal. I have spent way less money on much better games throughout the year but this one was just a throw away of my money.

Reason is pretty clear. A 6 hour campaign (exactly what I expected) that I mildly enjoyed with a really bad ass ending. A half assed co-op mode, works well but still nowhere as engaging as MW2 spec ops mode and a completely throwaway multiplayer. When I learnt that there is no FOV slider (a la Black Ops, that I really loved and enjoyed playing through), and really constrained and downright unoriginal maps I was just totally disappointed. I can't believe this game even got an 8 or 8.5 at review sites. It is just downright abysmal and such a step backwards.

Anyways, just wanted to rant since I want my money back with this piece of garbage. Game should've been like $15 for its 6 hour campaign. As I said, only redeeming quality was the bad ass ending but that's about it.

So, which one is your worst game purchase all year?

Historically the MW series have had really short SP storylines, everyone buys the MW games for the multiplayer, although that appears to have taken a wrong turn since Black Ops.

Worst game of the year for me, Duke Nukem Forever, most overhyped, delayed, re-written several times for various game engines, POS ever!!!

Played the demo, and that's as far as I was willing to go in interest.

I'm gonna have to go with Dead Island. What a heaping pile of shit that game is..

I love anything that has to do with zombies, and when it came out I was SUPER excited that I plopped down $50. I'm honestly mad at myself still for buying into the hype of the train wreck that is Dead Island.

Their trailer is worth more money than the game itself.

I sill play L4D.... great way to spend 20-30 minutes. It never gets old. Still has a ton of people playing, what's not to like? Each their own I guess....
Best game was Uncharted 3. I've only purchased two full price titles this year. IMO that game was a ride worth the $60 admission.
I don't have a worst as the rest all come from 75% off steam sales and even then I check the metascore.

I guess I would have to say Dead Island. It's a fun game but wasn't worth full price. I think I only paid $40 for it and got like $30 credit on GMG so it really didn't cost me that much, but the support so far by the dev has been atrocious.

Uhmmmmm

Terraria

Minecraft is my worst purchase, its sucked to much of my free time away to be a "good thing!"

I wasted $60 or so on Dead Island. I was expecting Left 4 Dead meets Fallout 3, but got a turd instead.

I see tons of votes for Dead Island and Homefront. I've never even heard of the second one.

I see tons of votes for Dead Island and Homefront. I've never even heard of the second one.
Not sure if this will ring a bell, but it's the one with the guy with a shaved head who's blindfolded with a North Korean flag.

The thread title should have been: Worst PC game purchase(s) this year. Duke Nukem, Brink, Dead Island and Rage are at the top of my list. After the cost and degree of dissapointment there will be no more pre release orders for me. I will sit on the side lines and wait for demos, reviews and/or sales before I buy.

Hmmm. I have a couple strong contenders. Brink is one. I was extremely disappointed since it had so much potential. Red Orchestra 2 is another. Game is just a disaster in so many ways.

I think I need to add one more worst PC game purchase that is:

EYE Divine Cybermancy. I pre-ordered since the fuckers made some good videos and shit. Tried playing it but was underwhelmed with how crude and rough around the edges it was. Plus the no save bullshit during long ass missions completely put me off of that game. Never again purchasing indie crap on pre-order. Hell, never pre-ordering stuff unless I am 100% sure (e.g., like Assassin's Creed Revelations, Batman Arkham City, Sonic Generations etc) and upcoming games (e.g., like Mass Effect 3 etc).

MW3 was a bad purchase for me. I'm not into single player gameplay. I'm into MP FPS fun. The non-existance of dedicated servers & that anti-lag nonsense make for a shitty experience.

Has anyone successfully gotten a refund?

I'm gonna have to go with Dead Island. What a heaping pile of shit that game is..

I love anything that has to do with zombies, and when it came out I was SUPER excited that I plopped down $50. I'm honestly mad at myself still for buying into the hype of the train wreck that is Dead Island.

Their trailer is worth more money than the game itself.

I came in here to post this almost word for word.

Good god what a horrible, horrible PC release.

Magicka for me. I bought the complete pack during the steam summer sale and was very disappointed.

Magicka for me. I bought the complete pack during the steam summer sale and was very disappointed.
OMG. Need to add that too. What a bunch of crap. Didn't like the apparent funnies and also the SP was just downright boring.

Hot damn, this thread is depressing since I own, played and finished most of the games in this thread :(.

MW3. Waste of money and time. It was such a bad game. I came from BF3 and realized that every game should be up to PAR with BF3. I want my money back for that piece of shit.

DCUO, $40.
I played for a week before I quit, though. :)

2nd place is SR3. Beat it in 8 hours.

Red Orchestra 2. I'm sure the fanboys will be butt hurt but I just couldn't enjoy this game.

Red Orchestra 2. I'm sure the fanboys will be butt hurt but I just couldn't enjoy this game.

I couldn't stand this game. I'm having a ton of fun playing Kane and Lynch 2 that I purchased during the last Steam sale. And I have to verify the files every time before I can play it. It's miles more fun than Red Orchestra 2!

Dead Island.

Open world + zombies. The only way to screw that up is if it was horribly buggy and had really mundane quests and forgettable characters. My friends and I bought it and we have yet to spend two hours together for the $160 we spent.

Kinda reminds me in a way of Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. "WWII REACHES NEW YORK; YOU CAN'T SCREW THIS UP! THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!" Nope.

You know what zombie game I want to play? The game from the Dead Island initial trailer. That game looked awesome. The one they actually put out was a joke.

Section 8:prejudice, way to release a game with so much potential, just to try and rip players off by announcing DLC that should of just been patched into the game free.

Brink for me, that was this year right? Wish i had saved my money on that.

Dead Island: Paid 36 dollars for it, and only played it for 1.5 hours. I couldn't handle all the retarded bugs, and weapon degradation. Seriously a metal crowbar would only last 4 hits against a zombie before it broke. Seriously?

Duke Nukem Forever. Easily. I still can't force myself to even finish the game once. I even preordered it too.

Funnily enough, if there wouldnt be the patch that allowed more weapons to be carried I would say the same. As of now, both DAII and DNF have equally bad dissapointment factor. However the carm of Duke himself pushes the game liiitle bit above DAII. :D

Would definitely have to be Sword of the Stars 2. Preordered it and it didn't even work on release. I'm still not even sure if it's playable or not.

I liked Singularity. DXHR was superb. Otherwise it has been Steam sales or backlog with few complaints.

Was Bulletstorm bad? Or just meh?

RAGE is easily the crummiest game I've bought. I normally play games at a normal setting but RAGE was so easy that I immediately boosted it to 'Hard' and ran through it. A steaming pile of crap. won't pre-order games anymore.

I'm gonna go as far to say this is my worst gaming year in recent times. 2009 was superb, this year... not so much.

Duke Nukem Forever = fail
Brink = Fail
Deus Ex HR = I was hit with nasty crashing problems and this game, never did finish it or work out what caused the crashes / stuttering
Rage = Fail, to an extent
BF3 = Good, but not without it's problems
Skyrim = Good but buggy as hell
Batman Arkham City = DX11 broken, not happy
Saints Row 3 = Refreshing
Assassins Creed Revelations = Not the same impact as ACII had in 2009

I enjoyed everything I bought this year to more or less some degree, I don't regret any purchases and don't really have a worst game of the year, I like them all for different reasons.

Part of the reason for this is because I stopped pre ordering games and just waiting to hear balanced and legitimate user feedback from friends and on forums before biting. If the game is good like Skyrim then I dive in a few days late but ensure a good day 1 purchase.

It helps avoid absolute trash like modern warfare, not that I'd stoop to buying that game in the first place.

Back