Worst PC game purchase this year?

Brink is the only mistake i made this year. Fortunately knew better to wait on DNF and Rage reviews before pulling the trigger.

I bought a physical copy of Duke Nukem Forever regardless. It was more because it was a piece of gaming history, rather than on it's potential as a game.

I bought a physical copy of Duke Nukem Forever regardless. It was more because it was a piece of gaming history, rather than on it's potential as a game.

Pretty much why I bought it too. I saw negative reviews everywhere and part of me thought it was just fans expecting too much (well they HAVE been working on it a long time). I played it a couple times and got bored of it. It's just sitting in Steam looking pretty.

At least I got it when the price dropped to $29.99.

Deus Ex: HR - Wasn't horrible, but wasn't anything to write home about. Bland textures, uninspired, Japanama-inspired design kind of killed it for me. Was expecting more. They might as well kill this series for good imo.

Although I bought BF3 and am enjoying it, military FPSs died for me a while back. I played MW3 for all of 30 minutes then deleted.

Thought ME2, while a very good game, was overratted, predecessor was better.

All other games I got (Skyrim, Witcher 2, BF3, Drakensang: River of Time, Batman AC) I was pleased with. Even Fable 3 I got some play out of.

Color me one of those who thought ME1 was better than ME2. The thing that got me about ME2, was you could always tell a major combat event was about to take place, because you would see a lot of "chest high" barriers around. All of them silently whispering to you "you can hide behind me, lover boy!"

And although i loved the character interactions and dialog in ME2 better than ME1, the story and epic battle of ME1>ME2. Alien baby robot, come the fuck on. And it wasn't even hard to kill. I think i killed it with the pistol.

Deus Ex: HR - Wasn't horrible, but wasn't anything to write home about. Bland textures, uninspired, Japanama-inspired design kind of killed it for me. Was expecting more. They might as well kill this series for good imo.
I thought it was a great prequel. Graphics were a bit of a throwback, but consider they had been working on the game since 2008.

The game sold well, so we might see another one.

Please explain yourself.

Valve games do without exception tend to be waaay overhyped and overrated. None of them are bad but none of them are 10/10 perfection (no game ever is). If they weren't valve published people would rate them probably 8/10, but they have so many fanboys that reviewers don't want to annoy that they all seem to get meaningless 15/10s ignoring glaring faults... But with all of that said, I don't think portal 2 was in particular that terrible... 7/10 maybe (when it was $15, when it was full price probably would drop down to 6/10 because it was so damned short and not really replayable), definately not the worst game of the year however... People thinking that should play brink at least once...

Brink is the only one this year. But it helped me from getting DNF

I haven't paid more than $10 for the majority of the games I have bought this year so I can't say I regret any of them. The ones I have paid full price for have been the likes of the Witcher 2 which haven't let me down. My spidey senses were tingling for the likes of Rage, and DNF so I was able to avoid those games.

Please explain yourself.
Why does he have to explain? Different taste for different people plain and simple. I agree with him (just one point I've never played Portal 2), no I don't think the Portal games were terrible games they just weren't the type of games I enjoy . Another example Is Dungeon Defenders - great game for most people but, I just don't enjoy tower defense games (before you all start asking why I would buy a tower defense game when I feel the way I do. I bought it so I could game with my Daughter.) so it would go on my list of bad game purchases. Is it a bad game, not at all it's just a bad game for me.

Last edited:
Why does he have to explain?

They don't have to explain, I am just trying to understand what faults they had with the game to rate it one of the worst of the year. If they don't like the game play well then that's on the buyer because not only are there tons of videos of the game play, Portal is randomly given away for free by Valve (probably will this Christmas as well).

To even compare Portal 2 with the filth that is Brink, there is something wrong.

Last edited:
I almost forgot about Brink.
Locking the game at 30FPS for people who don't want to play online might be the single most annoying thing I've encountered all year.

So for those of you who have been around a while...I see all the hate for DNF. Which was the worst decade long over-hyped flop: DNF or Daikatana?

So for those of you who have been around a while...I see all the hate for DNF. Which was the worst decade long over-hyped flop: DNF or Daikatana?
Hmm I don't remember Daikatana being in development for nearly that long.

w/e, I just hope that HL3 (or HL2 ep3) lives to expectations, assuming it's ever released.

As far as overhyped flops - Spore.

I guess it wasn't that long, it was 3+ years, which at that time was a pretty damn long time.

Good comparison :)
I actually haven't played DNF, but while Daikatana was bad, it wasn't god-awful. It seemed like a good idea that just went awry. Plus, even though it was late, Daikatana was actually announced and planned after DNF based upon memory. Letdown yes, but not a 15-year letdown.

Anyone remember Prey? It went into development right around that same mid-90's timeframe. It finally came out in 2006 and honestly wasn't that bad. It was Portal before Portal was.

Top 4: Drum Roll Please.......

1) Homefront - Played 5 minutes and never started it again
2) Duke Nukem - What a hyped up piece of shit
3) Rage- Also a over hyped turd of a game
4) Crysis 2 - complete disappointment after loving Crysis 1

Top 3 Favorites:
1) BF3
2) Arkham City
3) Saints Row 3

I was looking over my Steam games and I purchased Assassin's Creed 1 for PC. I got maybe 45 minutes or so into it and never played it again. It just didn't grab my attention the way I thought it would. I got it for $20 so it wasn't the most I've spent on a game I didn't finish, but that might well be the worst purchase I've made all year.

Brink, I still get a little angry every time that I see Brink in my Steam games list.

Even if the game was totally bad ass it still wouldn't have lived up to the 13 years of hype.

Have you played Serious Sam 3? Its everything that DNF should have been.

Anyone who hasn't purchased Serious Sam 3 has no right to bash DNF, seriously. When you don't support the game that gives you exactly the experience that you are asking for you have no right to bitch.

Deus Ex... didn't live up to the hype.

Witcher 2, pile of shit.

Well, I can't contribute anything towards the intent of this thread, but I felt obligated to stand up for a few of my best game purchases I saw come up in the lists.

Magicka - this game is an absolute blast. Never played the single player, but when you get a friend or two to go through the story with you, the coop is some hilarious action you can't shake a stick at. Worth way more than the $2.50 I paid for it, IMO.

Metro 2033 - the game is gorgeous, decent storyline, very immersive - if you allow yourself to get into it. Well worth the $5 I paid for it.

I'd be interested to hear why those of you who don't like these games don't like them.

worst purchase of the year for me was duke nukem forever even at the 5 dollar price i got it at. they should be paying me to play that pos game.

Metro 2033 - the game is gorgeous, decent storyline, very immersive - if you allow yourself to get into it. Well worth the $5 I paid for it.

I'd be interested to hear why those of you who don't like these games don't like them.

no multiplayer = no purchase for me.. i can't stand playing the single player in any games.

Brink. I don't think I have ever payed so much (I think $40ish) for a game that I only put 3 hours into...

Witcher 2, pile of shit.

Wow, really? I've heard nothing but praise for Witcher 2. What didn't you like about it?

Most disappointing:
Dungeon Siege 3
Red Faction: Armageddon
Rage
DNF (if I even bothered to play that POS)

Favorites:
Dungeon Defenders
Skyrim
Saints Row 3

Disappointing:
Rift (Played for a month, cancelled.)
DNF

Favorites:
Skyrim
SR3
BF3
The Old Republic (Beta = Awesome.)

Speaking of Brink, on sale today for $6.25.

What's worse, Brink complete pack at that price or DNF at $5? :D

I'll say one good thing about some of the over hyped yet disappointing releases this year, they and the slow driver team over at AMD have convinced me to never again pre-order a game.

Back