Worst PC game purchase this year?

OK, after the 16,00000 Brink sucks comments I have to know, what exactly is wrong with the game? I know next to nothing about it.

Honestly, the list would be too long. I don't think there is anything right with it.

Honestly, the list would be too long. I don't think there is anything right with it.

I didn't have an stability issues with it. The game is pretty similar to TF2 but there are no wide open areas, the gun mechanics sucked, the level design was horrible and lag compensation was not optimized. It was a neat idea that didn't flesh out but they released the game anyway.

I bought it with the quakecon bundle played it for a little bit and will never touch it again.

That bad? :eek:

The game is so bad that it is already dead. It doesn't even show up on steam top 100 game lists... and it is a steamworks title. That means less than 400 people are playing it at any given time, worldwide.

The game is so bad that it is already dead. It doesn't even show up on steam top 100 game lists... and it is a steamworks title. That means less than 400 people are playing it at any given time, worldwide.

Holy crap. :eek: Glad I skipped that one.

Every game on the list to be honest. There was 0 titles in 2011 that are worth your time or dedication to get better. Even if the price tag was FREE won't justify how rubbish these game were. 2012 won't be any different.

I got brink for $10 and felt it was worth it, last time I played, it ran like shit though.

I hear they just released a massive update on it, going to have to try it again.

THQ pack on steam. Some good content, but several of the games were dreck.

I'm having a hard time thinking of what title was my worst purchase this year. All the 'meh/omg console!' titles I snagged for $20 or less like Crysis 2 and I enjoy it enough. Hell I even got DNF but for $0 thanks to coupons so I can't even say that!

Dragon Age 2- While I feel that it was not a bad game per say, it was no way in hell a sequel to DA:O. No fucking way. It wasn't worth a day one purchase.

Battlefield 3- Not because it is a bad, game, it is actually pretty good but like BFBC2 I got bored as hell after about 10 hours of play. It pretty much turns into a grind for x perk, oops changed teams need to regrind the same perk type game. I'll pick it back up in a couple of months.

Gothic 4 Arcania- a Steaming pile of want-to-be RPG.

Left 4 Dead 2- Loved the first one, second should have been an expansion.

me and my friend bought brink because it advertised coop. the ai is worse than bots in cs1.5. the game mechanics were also trash. theres a reason why it dropped to 20dollars 2weeks after release.

Brink for sure.

It's not a bad game at all though... I actually had a decent amount of fun with it, especially playing it with friends, but something was off about it. And forget the challange missions, it went from stupid easy to ridiculously difficult... no middle ground at all.

It reminded me of a really unpolished TF2

Brink was hands down the worst 60 bucks I've spent this year. I was so disappointed with it... I thought it would do better than TF2.

The same dungeon recycled throughout the entire game - even the minimap was reused, showing areas on the map that you couldn't actually get to in that instance of it. Complete lack of an epic plotline...wander though the same city over and over and over again, with no overarching goal at all. Random spawning of enemies around you throughout fights. No continuity with the prior game at all - there was perhaps 30 seconds that was relevant to the first game, and that only happens late in the game when SPOILER you run into some Grey Wardens. I wanted to go with them and say screw DA2, but that wasn't an option.

As I said in another thread just put up, if DA2 wasn't DA2, but a brand new IP it wouldn't have been received as poorly, though there were quite a few flaws. Apparently EA pushed Bioware to get it out the door - another 6 months of work and the game really could have been great. The combat was more action oriented and fun which I enjoyed.

As I said in another thread just put up, if DA2 wasn't DA2, but a brand new IP it wouldn't have been received as poorly, though there were quite a few flaws. Apparently EA pushed Bioware to get it out the door - another 6 months of work and the game really could have been great. The combat was more action oriented and fun which I enjoyed.

this is very true. i like the combat in da2 alot better than dao. there just wasnt any character development and didnt feel as epic as the first but its not a terrible game.

this is very true. i like the combat in da2 alot better than dao. there just wasnt any character development and didnt feel as epic as the first but its not a terrible game.

Thank you, that was another huge issue of mine - the total lack of character development. I also really disliked most of the companions in the game. Merril, Anders and Fenris were all too 1 dimensional and deeply flawed to be appreciated. Carver was annoying as hell. Only Aveline and Varric seemed to have any depth, and Isabela was amusing enough to keep around. Bethany was just...meh, nothing compelling about her.

In DA:O, even the characters you mainly disliked had interesting things about them, and just overall had much, much more depth to them.

OK, after the 16,00000 Brink sucks comments I have to know, what exactly is wrong with the game? I know next to nothing about it.

All you need to know is that despite starting out with around 30k concurrent players on Steam and having a free PC DLC release a few months ago, the game is not ever in the top 100 concurrently played games on Steam anymore. It never tops 200 concurrent players less than 6 months after release. It's one of those games where just everybody concurs that it is unequivocally BAD.

Rage also fits into that category of BAD games. Not a good year for id software and OpenGL games.

RAGE & Singularity

Both consolized to hell & no rectification thus far from id & Raven to correct their mistakes.

At least Singularity had an interesting premise. Rage was just BLEARGH.

I wasted $60 or so on Dead Island. I was expecting Left 4 Dead meets Fallout 3, but got a turd instead.

It was more like L4D meets Borderlands and it was quite good for a coop loot fest. I don't see it fitting into a worst games of the year award ceremony.

Last edited:
All you need to know is that despite starting out with around 30k concurrent players on Steam and having a free PC DLC release a few months ago, the game is not ever in the top 100 concurrently played games on Steam anymore. It never tops 200 concurrent players less than 6 months after release. It's one of those games where just everybody concurs that it is unequivocally BAD.

Rage also fits into that category of BAD games. Not a good year for id software and OpenGL games.

At least Singularity had an interesting premise. Rage was just BLEARGH.

It was more like L4D meets Borderlands and it was quite good for a coop loot fest. I don't see it fitting into a worst games of the year award ceremony.

I think most of the complaints concerning Dead Island are related to it's technical issues rather than it's fun factor. The patches tend to fix one thing and break five others. If it deserves harsh criticism for anything, it's that.

Duke Nukem and RO2.

Duke Nukem was mildly entertaining at times but it had zero replay value and sure as hell wasn't worth the wait, or even the full retail price. It's probably the worst game purchase I've made all year, but it certainly isn't a horrendous title either. It could have been a million times better, but I've definitely played worse games and paid full price for them. Luckily, just not in the last 12 months.

Modern Warfare 3 - Had a boring storyline, stupid matchmaking service pissed me off
RAGE - Shit graphics and a horrible console port, multiplayer was bullshit
Battlefield 3 - Didn't appeal to me at all, sorry and the campaign was just boring
Dead Island - Too many bugs, bad graphics
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Overhyped and too many cutscenes

Last edited:

1. Brink is horrible.
  2. No intereting weapons, just 2394019403548 "machinegunney" type weapons all unlocked for yo straight away.
  3. Takes 2 clips to kill anyone.
  4. You onlu have 2 clips.
  5. Protracted firefights are therefore impossible. Or incredibly annoying.
  6. It is slow and boring in the movement department. Everyone moves really slow. But that doesn't really matter as you can take 312903400395 bullets to the face.
  7. It looks like shit.
  8. The "character design" makes weird looking people who all look annoying.
  9. You can make "anything you can imagine" as long as it's made of the same 10 parts, and you only imagine muscley men.
  10. Theres noone to play against.
  11. It preaches about "you may not be familiar with team based combat so heres a stupid tutorial" then doesn't really have any need for it other than "GIVE ME SOME FUCKING AMMO I HAVE FIRED TWICE ALREADY!!!111"
  12. It has no plot or storyline.
  13. The level design is nonexistant and the levels from what I saw were just a boring load of generic corridoors with one real path and 2 joke paths.
  14. If you actually want to try multiplayer, don't bother, the AI is stupid.
  15. It demands you grind crap to get worthless crap.
  16. It is a bethesda FPS... Image the shooting sections of fallout 3, without VATS or RPG elements, just that, at a slow pace with shitty weapons with no ammo.
  17. It is horribly generic doom had the BFG, Portal has the portal gun, Duke nukem had etc. This has nothing memorable.
  18. The plot is non existant, or was not worth caring about.
  19. Single player is multiplayer with crap AI.
  20. It has "missions" but is terribly at explaining them,
  21. Even so it's terribly hard to lose.
  22. It has nothing unique or interesting about it. The things which are "unique" aren't worth bothering with.
  23. All the weapons are shit.
  24. There are no characters to care about or "bond with".
  25. Absolutely no motivation to play it whatsoever after 1 game.
  26. The movement is kind of floaty useless.

I think thats enough...

Ah man... I picked up Brink for the TF2 hats, and never wore them. Sad to hear it was such a stinker of a game. (Had hoped it might be fun... $25 wasted, from the sound of things)

Modern Warfare 3 - Had a boring storyline, stupid matchmaking service pissed me off
Battlefield 3 - Didn't appeal to me at all, sorry and the campaign was just boring

If you buy these games for their single player campaigns you deserve to feel like you wasted your money. Because you did.

I will chime in with Test Drive Unlimited 2 for PC. By far one of the WORST games ever made.

1. Brink is horrible.
  2. It is slow and boring in the movement department. Everyone moves really slow. But that doesn't really matter as you can take 312903400395 bullets to the face.

I think thats enough...

A couple of my friends bought brink on Day one. I was pretty excited about it, but for some reason I held off. I think a couple other games came out at the same time that were surprisingly disappointing. I played it on the free weekend. I remember jumping into multiplayer and clicking my run button and...nothing. Like I was moonwalking through silly putty. I remember double checking like three times that I was holding down run and then comparing it to my walk which was basically standing still and letting gravity pull you forward like a car in neutral going up a hill.

I literally could not play like that no matter how good the rest of the game is.

If you buy these games for their single player campaigns you deserve to feel like you wasted your money. Because you did.

I bought BF3 for multiplayer and I just couldn't get into it, couldn't care less about the campaign.

Is Rage that bad? It's in my Steam library 'cause I was dumb enough to pre order it (never making that mistake again) and I'm waiting on hopefully a high res pack.

Some people think the game is really good while others talk about it like it's the worst thing ever.

Never did any Day 1 purchase, used gaming forums as guinea pigs for new titles, and never bought any game other than during sales so I never ended up with DA2, Brink or Rage. Played the DNF demo just enough to know it sucks horrendously. Saw no interest in Dead Island also considering the gameplay design issues they had.

OMG. Need to add that too. What a bunch of crap. Didn't like the apparent funnies and also the SP was just downright boring.
Magicka was designed for coop, not single player. I thought that was pretty obvious already.

Modern Warfare 3.

There. I said it.

I've played 7 hours of it total, and those were all in the 3 days before Skyrim came out. Haven't played it since.

I can definitely say that I'm over CoD games and I will not buy another.

I am not sure what my worst game is yet. I bought maybe a dozen games this year but have only played 3 or 4 of them so far.
BF3, MW3, and Test Drive Unlimited 2 are the ones I have played and I enjoy all 3. TDU2 was only $5 a week ago and bought it and have really enjoyed it.

I have no purchases that I regret this year. I bought DNF, but it cost next to nothing as it was part of a larger games pack, so I dont consider it a bad purchase because I got several hours of fun out of it. Besides that all the games I bought were enjoyable enough for me and worth buying, a couple of them were even preorders.

Wow, definitely a lot of hate for DNF, Brink and Rage on these forums. The last one, not really sure why. It is average but it was definitely not my worst purchase of the year considering I only spared 26$ on it.

Back