Worst Harddrive Shipping ever, What tests to run?

Kettchxxii

Gawd
So I picked up 6 WD20EADS drives at under 90 dollars each after cash back and this is how they were shipped. I should Have known what I was getting into buying these off an individual on ebay. Needless to say I am going to need to run the gamut of testing before they go into the norco. What programs would you all recommend before I put them into proper use.

As a followup, would you leave negative feedback on the shipping alone? Or just write an extremely stern PM?

I am stuck using a USB Blackx to run testing, and the norco's SASLP doesn't read smart. Let me know what you think I should do before I consider these data safe...

Pics...
shipping-1.jpg

shipping-2.jpg

shipping-3.jpg

shipping-4.jpg

shipping-5.jpg

shipping-6.jpg

shipping-7.jpg

shipping-8.jpg

shipping-9.jpg

shipping-10.jpg

Running now, thanks! Anything else to consider?

Thankfully USPS only had the drives for around 150 miles of transit...

Also, what do you guys feel about the ebay feedback pending working drives?

Just test the drives. If they are all good, then say packaging can be improved. You can give a neutral rating.

yeah, it's surprising on how durable HDD's are now. A few years ago, they would have been trash for sure, but now you might get out without a hitch.

Newegg has done way worse for me. I would be happy if newegg shipped that good.

QFT. Not only Newegg either, but mwave and tigerdirect were both quite bad for me. I mean, at least your drives are not at the edge of the box, with all the bubbles popped.

Newegg is kinda random in their shipping.

This past few weeks, I bought tons of 2tb off the egg. Some of them came in the original manufactures 'bulk-oem' box. Sometimes they contained the original bulk-oem padding with both the top and bottom half, other times only the bottom half with bubbles ontop. Several shipments came with bubble wrapped only (with new ESD bag). Those looked like the ones from the op pics. And finally, I got one shipment that was individually 'boxed' with bubble-wrap in a generic white box. I know the original oem did not ship this way and with number/quantity I ordered, I found it strange that only 1 order was shipped this way.

Regardless, they all passed the full manufacturer's hard drive comprehensive tests without a single issue. Took me 2 weeks to run them on all the drives also... :eek:

Newegg has done way worse for me. I would be happy if newegg shipped that good.

Agreed...I mean there was actually two layers of bubble wrap between the drive and the bottom of the box. Typical Newegg packing is one layer of wrap, pulled tight enough so that several corners of the drive have no protection at all. Then, the drive is placed in the bottom of box, with foam peanuts piled uselessly on top of it. I mean seriously, how many years have they been f**king this up consistently. It's not that hard to figure out.

The packaging looks acceptable. I mean, he wasn't shipping you fresh eggs from the farm. If one drive has issues just RMA it.

The part that bothers me the most about that packing is not the bubble wrap (although it could be better) but the lack of anti-static bags. Some people seem to forget that HDDs are not just magnetic. There is a circuit board with a number of electronic components. Bubble wrap and packing tape can generate a lot of static charge. The HDDs really need to be in ESD-safe baggies.

yeah, the lack of static bags was odd. I mean he was reselling a larger lot of drives, why would he take them out of the esd bags, or who the hell sells a box of drives without them...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Hmm. I overlooked that (lack of anti-static bags). I do not think I have ever received a drive without one. Can I blame that ommision on the fact that I did not have my morning coffee yet? :)

I would run a badblocks (available on any linux live cd) 4 pass read / write test on every drive then check the smart status for any reallocated sectors.

Ran the loose drive and one other through the blacXs overnight on the WD tool extended tests. It seemed happy with them. Am loading up the norco now and am going to see if I can use the tool in there so I don't have so much external equipment on my desk.

On a side note... NORCOFULL!

Back