Worst Graphics Card Ever? GT 1030 DDR4 Benchmarked

"We realize nVidia aren't going to be too happy with this video and we won't be surprised if we don't receive samples from there next generation gpu launch. Be a real shame if that is the case, but if it is not the end of the world. We'll just have to by the gpu's ourselves."

I find this quote from the video quite annoying. Sound's like he's wanting everyone to pat him on the back and sing his praises. Almost like he's saying, "I threw myself on this grenade as I won't be getting any more review boards from nVidia. But hey, that's ok because we got you the story." Came across as a little attention hungry.

There was no need to mention possibly not getting any more review GPU's from nVidia unless it actually happened.

Of all the things to pull out of it, you choose this? I think you target selection is suspect!

I find this quote from the video quite annoying. Sound's like he's wanting everyone to pat him on the back and sing his praises. Almost like he's saying, "I threw myself on this grenade as I won't be getting any more review boards from nVidia. But hey, that's ok because we got you the story." Came across as a little attention hungry.

I think it can across as honest. Much of the story around nVidia and GPP was about retaliation and we've certainly heard from Kyle that nVidia is quite willing to cut off folks for bad press. Out of all that's gone on with nVidia and its business practices, the pressure that put on everyone, perceived and real, has resulted in a lot on funkiness. A transparent program in GPP that NO ONE was willing to talk about because of fear of retaliation.

I think it's very important to let people know exactly how this goes down to pressure nVidia to stop doing it.

Almost like it's some sort of ........ scam?

:nailbiting:

Yeah, almost and it's certainly odd but they do list all specs on the box so as much as I feel this is bullshit, getting owned by this just just makes for a careless reading/buying. I almost got caught with this when I bought GT630 for my HTPC but it wasn't for gaming so I really didn't care for performance. I did however want to get fastest one for the money so I had to research specs on the boxes at a local Microcenter. This is certainly bad for an average consumer who has no idea what the difference is. Either way, it's really nothing new with lower end video cards especially Nvidia ones. Possibly AIB are to blame as NV may just force minimum specs on video card tiers and AIB put whatever parts they have in stock or get cheaper but each card tier also had certain defined MSRP and they don't want to sell for less yet meet NV specs. I guess you guys getting up close and personal with video card vendors would know better.

Wow, that's messed up. Normal folks won't know the difference, even when it's mentioned in a small box - people will be getting ripped off with this. Especially if they're in a store with a shelf of these with a couple different brands and different costs and they all look almost identical.

If a kid says, "oh hey! can I get the new [enter big-budget famous and awesome animated film name here] for my birthday/christmas?" - Parent goes out, finds said movie with same main title and purchases it for a present... totally missing that it was a made for cable or direct to video side story. not really the same as this example is a bit more... obvious, but stuff like this does happen :/ This wouldn't affect people who actively purchase video cards since I'd assume most would actually pay attention (though "opps" on clicking on the wrong link?). but then again, I don't think this product is really directly to folks like that.

So that makes it feel even more shady/scammy. Feels like this happened specifically because NV knows the target audience for this. nice. ripping off people on a budget.

How is this any different from any other common 'sell crappy product to unsuspecting consumer' products? American corporations have sold crappy products to gullible buyers forever. And those corporations even push to eliminate any consumer protection systems that get put into place. Scams that sell garbage education, relabeled tap water as spring water, our country is a glowing example of let the buyer beware, and, of course, there's a sucker born every minute and two to take him. And, as is usual, the takers win out.

In fact, the whole world is like this. Why are any of us surprised when big companies blatantly do it?

Last edited:
So could a use case for these be H.265 encoding/decoding in hardware? I think only i3/5/7-8xxx can do this in iGPU iirc...

So could a use case for these be H.265 encoding/decoding in hardware? I think only i3/5/7-8xxx can do this in iGPU iirc...

a 50 dollar apollo lake motherboard can decode 265... why add a crap videocard on top of it.

These cards are for the IT department to give to the office worker who knows just enough about tech to be a pain in the ass. "My YouTube is glitchy. I need a new graphics card."

a 50 dollar apollo lake motherboard can decode 265... why add a crap videocard on top of it.
Also under linux, cpu usage on h.265 hardware decoding is like 60% in hardware or in software it doesn't work (cpu not fast enough).

If I can decode it on a plug-in card that is _cheaper_ than the gddr5 version, that might be useful. If it costs the same, why bother?

How is this any different from any other common 'sell crappy product to unsuspecting consumer' products? American corporations have sold crappy products to gullible buyers forever. And those corporations even push to eliminate any consumer protection systems that get put into place. Scams that sell garbage education, relabeled tap water as spring water, our country is a glowing example of let the buyer beware, and, of course, there's a sucker born every minute and two to take him. And, as is usual, the takers win out.

In fact, the whole world is like this. Why are any of us surprised when big companies blatantly do it?

We have a saying in my country which translated should sound something like "It's not at fault the one who ate the pie, it's the one that gave it to him". Basically it is being used that if someone dumb get's fucked over, it's not the fault of the guy who is taking his money, but the dumb person himself for giving them.

Like previously said by me, if this is the price you can only afford and you go unprepared...well then may be you should burn yourself, so you will become more aware the next time? And let's stop "cuddling" those poor people that "do not understand". If you don't understand some type of tech, you call a guy who knows the tech. Or at least this is what half conscious being would do. If you do not know, what you are on about but you have the "smarts" to go by yourself...well then mate I've got a surprise for you.

I do not like this thing one single bit, but I don't give a crap about someone being lazy enough not to read before purchasing something. Furthermore, with those specs is really someone going to purchase 1030 for gaming? I know that there are loads of people with H2O between their ears but still...It is an office VC like haz_mat said. For the secretary and so on people that need some type of gpu power but not going overboard.

I have a question for the people who think this is no big deal. Why does nVidia even bother setting model numbers to different cards if the performance between cards of the same model number shouldn't matter?

If performance differences between cards of the same model number is all over the place, what is the point of model numbers? Historically the performance of cards of the same model number are generally the same. Why aren't you angry or at least annoyed that nVidia is trying to throw this away? Why would you defend nVidia when the company puts out a "new" GT1030 model which has about half the performance of the original model?

If performance differences between cards of the same model number is all over the place, what is the point of model numbers? Historically the performance of cards of the same model number are generally the same. Why aren't you angry or at least annoyed that nVidia is trying to throw this away? Why would you defend nVidia when the company puts out a "new" GT1030 model which has about half the performance of the original model?

I can speak for myself only of course. You can take a look back and check what I said about ATi some 14 yrs ago...

Seriously? He had absolutely NO reason to suggest that he probably won't get any more review boards from nVidia.
After the GPP debacle and their anti-competitive tacts used in the last six months, he had absolutely every reason to suggest this of NVIDIA.
Even if he hadn't, NVIDIA would have screwed him over anyways due to his "negative" review of their product.

GT 1030+ With RDRAM will smoke it.
Pfff, we need to keep moving back further - how about some EDO or FPM DRAM?
Or better yet, why go back to the 2000s, 1990s, or 1980s when we could equip it with super high-performance 1970s bubble memory!

Just don't forget, it will still cost $90.00. :D

Two generations from now, the GT 1230 will integrate the memory into the display, by using CRT memory: the famous Williams-Kilburn Tube. Later, a revised version using mercury delay line memory will be introduced with no indication of the change. Users will however notice, since you won't be able to see the image on the mercury tubes.

Last edited:
After reading a bunch of the comments in this thread it wasn't [H]ard to arrive at the conclusion that it seems to be prevalent that in the tech industry not too few seem to have no soul anymore or are working very hard at loosing it for all eternity

Surprised? No. But pissed off nevertheless.

For the "but it says SDDR4 on the box" crowd... nah, this is bullshit. Yeah sure, if you look on the window sticker of a car, and it has a different motor, and you still buy it... that's on you.

Reason being, most people have at least basic comprehension around car motors. At least enough to know a cheap 4 cylinder is not the same as a top-of-the-line V8 or turbocharged V6 or something.

Most people do NOT know the intricacies of graphics card memory. A casual user - advanced enough to know generally where the 1030 is on the performance hierarchy - may not know that he needs to check for which RAM his card is equipped with. And even if he did, he might not think to do it because for the most part, the industry doesn't build cards that differ in performance by THIS much just because of the RAM speed.

It's not normal practice. But if Nvidia keeps on doing this kind of shit, like with the 1060 3GB, and now the 1030 "SE" (Shitty Edition), then I guess maybe it will become normal. It's stupid and could have been solved with a different name. 1020, or 1030 MX, or some other such thing. Although I don't know what the market would be for a shitty discrete card that gets its ass handed to it by AMD integrated APUs.

It's basically a scam. Yeah, you're an idiot if you get caught by the scam, read the damned box better and all, but that doesn't change that it's a scam.

After the GPP debacle and their anti-competitive tacts used in the last six months, he had absolutely every reason to suggest this of NVIDIA.
Even if he hadn't, NVIDIA would have screwed him over anyways due to his "negative" review of their product.

What I'm getting at is it did not seem genuine at all. It seemed very self serving.

If you guys want to buy me two of these, I'll benchmark them in SLI for the good of the site. :D It'd be a good pair for my now ancient FX 8350.

If you guys want to buy me two of these, I'll benchmark them in SLI for the good of the site. :D It'd be a good pair for my now ancient FX 8350.

Even that FX 8350 deserves better than this!!!

What I'm getting at is it did not seem genuine at all. It seemed very self serving.
Either way, he wasn't wrong about what he said, though the way he said it, I will agree with you on that. ;)

Back