Worst Company In America: Apple Vs. Microsoft

HardOCP News

[H] News
As the competition for Worst Company In America heats up, you can now vote for Apple or Microsoft as the companies go head to head today.

Let’s end the first week of Worst Company In America play by throwing these two longtime rivals into a locked shipping container until only one of them comes out alive.

I thought the title belongs to yahoo

It's a bracket! Sadly though, they're not in competition this year. I guess they lost too many pre rounds against the like of BoA.

Although, their quality has been getting worse. Yesterday one of their articles was most overpaid jobs...

how are they gonna get out of the locked shipping container?

Neither Apple nor Microsoft even come close to belonging on that list, even with the sales failures of Windows 8 or the iPhone 5 (in comparison to previous products). Both companies also tend to treat customer's fairly well.

And, now I see the real poll, and Apple "won"...

I still think the thread should have a Poll :D

Neither Apple nor Microsoft even come close to belonging on that list, even with the sales failures of Windows 8 or the iPhone 5 (in comparison to previous products). Both companies also tend to treat customer's fairly well.

WIndows 8 showed an intense disrespect for their current customers.

WIndows 8 showed an intense disrespect for their current customers.

Right, by giving them the option to run Windows on devices that it wasn't well suited for before while retaining the ability to run all current desktop apps and now with 3rd parties involved Windows 8 has more Start Menus than any prior version of Windows.

I wish more companies would disrespect me like that.

Right, by giving them the option to run Windows on devices that it wasn't well suited for before while retaining the ability to run all current desktop apps and now with 3rd parties involved Windows 8 has more Start Menus than any prior version of Windows.

I wish more companies would disrespect me like that.
1) Nothing stopped them from releasing that form of windows on those devices while retaining the old interface on desktops as an option.
2) Its a blatant attempt to sell more of the new devices by force feeding the new interface into a place that its not welcome.
3) After all of that, most WIndows users don't have Windows mobile devices and don't see that changing anytime soon.

3) After all of that, most WIndows users don't have Windows mobile devices and don't see that changing anytime soon.

And that's the problem. The verifiable fact is that the demand for laptops and desktops is dropping, plain and simple. It's even affecting Macs which saw a HUGE drop in sales last quarter and that couldn't have had a lot to do with Windows 8. Microsoft simply can't rely on its desktop dominance to mean much any more.

Maybe there should be a Metro off switch. I don't believe that such a switch would mean much in long run and maybe not even in the short run. Why would people upgrade or by new PCs that have the same old UI that's been around essentially for 20 years? Why not just buy a tablet? Those are new and cool. Most already have a conventional keyboard and mouse driven PC.

I predict Walmart will "win" it all.

Although I REALLY hope it's EA. They deserve it for what they do to the gaming industry.

btw it's free open source called start shell for windows 8 and makes it just like windows 7.

I'm building a compendium of phrases which trigger heatlesssun marketspeak. 57,396 phrases so far.

Back on topic, if it's between Microsoft and Apple, I actually think it's a tough call. Microsoft frustrates me to no end with their half-baked implementations on things, but some of their core ideas are genuinely better. Apple makes some questionable decisions, but they tend to do what Microsoft typically doesn't: execute well. Some of Microsoft's software products only vaguely resemble working software, and some don't even make it that far.

btw it's free open source called start shell for windows 8 and makes it just like windows 7.

I really like having to download third party software to make an OS work like it should in the first place :rolleyes:

That, and its not REALLY about being able to do it or not, it's about the lack of respect shown to customers when they've cried and demanded something out of the product, and MS completely ignored them, and even removed the only "native" way to disable it to spite the people that found it.

I'm building a compendium of phrases which trigger heatlesssun marketspeak. 57,396 phrases so far.

So pointing out time and time again Microsoft's declining desktop market and its extreme weakness in the high growth mobile sector is marketspeak? Apparently Microsoft isn't happy with my marketspeak because for some reason they've never sent me a check.:D

So pointing out time and time again Microsoft's declining desktop market and its extreme weakness in the high growth mobile sector is marketspeak? Apparently Microsoft isn't happy with my marketspeak because for some reason they've never sent me a check.:D

Everyone knows they wouldn't send a check because, like everyone else does, they use direct deposit. :cool:

Never fails, on the internet mention Microsoft (in any form) and the rest of the internet will nerd rage with: WINDOWS 8 KICKED MY DOG AND GOT ME FIRED!

At least OSX let's you decide on how you want to handle the touch and non-touch variantes. You aren't forced with an OS you don't want. Also as soon as Windows has Missison Control/Expose I'll be interested.

At least OSX let's you decide on how you want to handle the touch and non-touch variantes. You aren't forced with an OS you don't want. Also as soon as Windows has Missison Control/Expose I'll be interested.

With OS X, there are no touch options, you have to buy another device. There are options not to use the new UI if wanted, some are free. And there are even options for something like Missison Control/Expose, I have that using Dexpot which also provides multiple desktops which is free.

And that's the problem. The verifiable fact is that the demand for laptops and desktops is dropping, plain and simple. It's even affecting Macs which saw a HUGE drop in sales last quarter and that couldn't have had a lot to do with Windows 8. Microsoft simply can't rely on its desktop dominance to mean much any more.

Maybe there should be a Metro off switch. I don't believe that such a switch would mean much in long run and maybe not even in the short run. Why would people upgrade or by new PCs that have the same old UI that's been around essentially for 20 years? Why not just buy a tablet? Those are new and cool. Most already have a conventional keyboard and mouse driven PC.

You touched on one of reasons there was a huge drop in Mac sales in your last paragraph. It's more COOL to have am iPad than a Mac laptop. Whether you get any work done doesn't really matter, what matters is that they look COOL. (or at least they think they do)

Same UI for 20 years? You mean there's been no changes since Windows 3.0?
The interface has evolved so much over the years that even going back 2 or 3 versions can be difficult.

The problem with Windows 8 (and server 2012), is that the interface didn't just evolve some more. Instead it was ripped out and replaced with a mutated, dumbed down, fisher-price toy looking interface.
A switch to change the default back to something similar to the Windows 7/Server 2008 desktop would have been a good compromise.

I’m skipping Windows 8, both at home and at the office.
As for Server 2012, I’m having to live with it, as we want to take advantage of some of the new features.
Takes me longer to do stuff on the server with 2012, but it’s not like I’m on the servers all day.

Pretty sure we go with the banks and their shady ventures not some internet crybaby who got burned by a tech company that one time...

I really like having to download third party software to make an OS work like it should in the first place :rolleyes:

That, and its not REALLY about being able to do it or not, it's about the lack of respect shown to customers when they've cried and demanded something out of the product, and MS completely ignored them, and even removed the only "native" way to disable it to spite the people that found it.

No way am I going to roll out a new OS that DEPENDS on 3rd party software to make it usable, and that could easily be disabled by an update. I'd rather stick with Windows 7 and keep my job.

If Microsoft stays on this track with the next version, Windows 7 is going to be around for a VERY long time.

Last year EA won, due in no small part to the timing of the award and the proximity it had to the ME3 release. Voters got a ton of flack for letting EA beat out BOA and a handful of other banks...

This time around, there's no BOA on the bracket and the banks are rather low key. EA botched SimCity in a manner far more public (meaning the normal, non-gaming crowd) than what ME3 did, fired their CEO, and watched their stock drop nearly 15 points in six months. On top of that, there's still the legions of Anon and Reddit waiting for EA to get it's voting days...yeah, I think they're going to get a double poo. First time ever, I think?

Same UI for 20 years? You mean there's been no changes since Windows 3.0?

Windows 3.0 came out in May 1990, almost 23 years ago. Windows 95, with the Start Menu and Button that many are complaining about came out almost 18 years ago. So yeah, 20 years.

Windows 8 is just awful. It's the first Microsoft OS where I've gone back to the previous version and not felt the itch to try again. It has some nice features for my tablet, but I don't really use my tablet all that much.

I've said forever that if one is only interesting in desktop and mouse and keyboard only operation with Windows then they probably won't care much for Windows 8. I use it all the time across lots of devices and input methods and under those circumstances 8 works much better than 7 in that case. If the desktop market were growing at a healthy clip Windows 8 would be a much different product. The desktop market isn't growing and that includes Macs as well.

Windows 8 was successful in hammering in for me such an intense dislike for "That Which Shall Not Be Called Metro Ever Again" that I make it a point to refuse to own either a phone or tablet running it. So, congratulations, Microsoft. Using Windows 8 for two months convinced me to avoid three of your product lines with a single fell swoop. That takes some supreme talent.

Back