Worst chipset of all time?

But VIA made up for their bad chipsets with fantastic tech support.:D

Also God wanted VIA to beat Intel, according to VIA's chairman.

VIA chipsets were bad, had one AMD board that was powered by VIA and it gave me nothing but trouble, drives not detecting properly, freezing at some point, and my XFX 780i board was a piece of shit as well, unstable at most times and random BSOD's for no reason. Terrible.

Just going with the flow, miserable times to be had with the via kt133 and kt266. Anything via you basically had to wait for the A revision to get anything remotely stable. Nvidia nforce2 was bliss compared to the kt266 it replaced. I cant even talk about my time with the 133 or i will start having flashbacks and have to book into therapy again.

The nForce 4 chipsets on the 939 boards were, as another poster stated, rock solid. The old ATi chipsets are a nightmare to find drivers for when manufacturers don't have them. And the SiS chipsets aren't the greatest either.

But VIA made up for their bad chipsets with fantastic tech support.:D

Also God wanted VIA to beat Intel, according to VIA's chairman.

Haha, got a link where I can read about this? I love insane people in Senior Managemet of big companies.

I must have been a lucky person with Via chipsets as the boards I have had / or still do have never given me any trouble at all. My 1 file server based on a Abit kt7a (kt133a chipset) has been great to me. Also my Nf2 and Nf4 boards are rock solid and still going strong. Now on the other hand my worst chipset to date would be the NF3. That thing just sucks.

completely forgot about this thread lol. i'd have to agree with the 820, VIA, and for me i was not a fan of the
X38 for some reason

Nvidia 680i...

Although I loved the Nvidia 780i board I had. Worked like a treat and absolutely loved it, will be my top 5 in the 775 era.

P45 was also a dream to work with, had tonnes of Gigabyte P45-DS3/DS3R/DS3P/UD3R boards:)

I really didn't care much for the 750i. It seemed to have the most issues with overclocking out of any chipset I've used, BUT, mine was stable and problem free! I guess I got lucky.

the sis chips with the american megatrend bio motherboards were the worst of all

VIA KT133. You want to run a sound card on that? Too bad. Snap Crackle Pop Rice Krispies.

The regular KT133 wasn't the worst.

Much worse than that was the rarely-used and short-lived KT133E trainwreck. Unless you were one of the unlucky suckers to own an abit KT7E mobo, you never suffered the indignity of this pile of PCB Poo.

Poorly supported, random lockups, fried BIOS, random IDE mode switching, and spotty 133FSB stability (the KT133E would supposedly support it, but the motherboard was only rated to 100FSB.. Attempts to go to 133 on multiple boards all failed) make this nightmare of a board one for the Worst Of lists.

Hey the nforce 4 boards on 939 were pretty rock solid.

Worst chipset for me is probably the old ati chipsets for p4's they never seemed to work quite right or would die.

And we have a winner! Those were atrocious.

Intel 810 - they were so limited Intel would recommend VIA chipsets for high-end Pentium-III CPU's. The 512MB RAM limit was particularly annoying.

Back