Worst and/or most negative Windows 7 review you've come across

Odd. Search is enabled in my Win 7Start Menu.

Well, duh. The Aero start menu in Vista/7 has start search.

By default the classic start menu gives you a shortcut to the full search tool, but not a start search box like you get with the Aero menu. I'm saying it would be cool if you could have start search on the classic start menu.

On my system I removed the search, help, and recent docs shortcuts from the classic menu with the group policy editor. It looks nicer. The search shortcut isn't nearly as quick/useful as start search would be.

Last edited:
Lol @ people comparing DOS to the quick search function in Vista/W7. :p

LOL @ people who didn't get the joke. :rolleyes:

Do I really need to explain it? I'll try to go slow so you can understand, OK?

Someone said that all they do is type the name of the program they want to run and hit enter, the program starts, quick and easy and no need for a start menu. I replied that I used to do that in DOS. You see, in DOS there is no GUI. You type the name of the program you want to run, hit enter and the program starts, quick and easy, and DOS doesn't have a start menu. Do you understand now, or is that still too complicated?

Windows 7 seems to benefit people who know the names of programs they have installed on their computer, while those of us who randomly install lots of programs we don't know the name of have problems adapting to a new style of start menu.

Fixed that for you.

Do you seriously have problems adapting to one column of programs instead of cascading columns?

Perhaps you may not like it, but if you have problems adapting...

Do you seriously have problems adapting to one column of programs instead of cascading columns?

Fixed that for you.

:rolleyes:

Nobody has problems adapting, we simply prefer the look and style of the classic start menu.

Again, why did they take out a feature that a lot of people use, yet leave in the classic theme? Practically no one uses the classic theme outside of server environments and high-contrast systems for the disabled. Taking out the classic start menu didn't make Windows more secure, faster, or smaller. There was no reason to remove it.

All we want is more options for customization rather than less. Don't shit all over our opinions just because we like something that you don't.

Fixed that for you.

So you know the name of every single shortcut in your menu? Not every program installs menu shortcuts with the name of the program in it. I have several programs and games that have shortcuts to a separate setup/settings program and manual that are simply called "setup" and "manual." Typing the name of that program doesn't list the setup or manual shortcut, so I have to go to the All Programs menu to find it.

I'm not running Win7 full time yet (I have it installed to a spare drive for testing), but once I get my new system put together and I switch over to Win7, when I do find shortcuts like that I will rename them so that I don't have to go looking for them (because I like to be organized). But like I've said several times, you are still going to have to use the menu, the search won't work every time, and the XP start menu is still better for browsing through the entire menu.

You may like the new start menu and that's fine, but why do you have a problem with those of us who don't like it and wish MS would give us the option to use the classic menu instead?

No I don't have a problem adapting, but it doesn't mean I have to like it and shut up about it. I bet MS has people watching forums for complaints about Win7, and maybe if they see that enough people want the classic menu back they'll put the option in with a patch or the first service pack.

Perhaps you may like it, but do you have a problem with options? Would having the option to chose the new menu or the classic menu be too much for you?

Would having the option to chose the new menu or the classic menu be too much for you?
Yes, actually. Features aren't free. For them to re-implement the "Classic" behavior in the new Taskbar/Start Menu would have taken away dev/testing resources that could have been spent on more bugfixing or development of new features. It's not nearly important enough for them to waste their time on, and I'm glad they realized that.

Damnit. That means me.

Oh well.

Rest in peace, IBM thinkpad (from 1997? dunno) <--eraserhead FTW!

XP and windows 7 will both most liely run on it. XP definitely and 7 might. I have installed windows 7 on a pentium III and pentium II.

Yes, actually. Features aren't free. For them to re-implement the "Classic" behavior in the new Taskbar/Start Menu would have taken away dev/testing resources that could have been spent on more bugfixing or development of new features. It's not nearly important enough for them to waste their time on, and I'm glad they realized that.

Vista had the option to use the classic menu, so they took time and resources to remove it. By your argument, they should have left it alone and invested that time and resources into other things. :rolleyes:

Vista had the option to use the classic menu, so they took time and resources to remove it. By your argument, they should have left it alone and invested that time and resources into other things. :rolleyes:

Not necessarily. It may have been cheaper to take it out, than double the testing work needed to make sure the classic menu worked with all features of Windows 7.

Back