World's Most Ethical Companies

HardOCP News

[H] News
The list of the 145 most ethical companies is now out and Microsoft, Intel and Cisco all made the list. Big names like Apple and Sony were nowhere to be found on the list, beat out by companies like Best Buy and Adobe.

The World's Most Ethical (WME) Companies designation recognizes companies that truly go beyond making statements about doing business "ethically" and translate those words into action. WME honorees not only promote ethical business standards and practices internally, they exceed legal compliance minimums and shape future industry standards by introducing best practices today.

Also noticed Kellogg and Pepsi and the most ethical food companies that list is retarded.

Patagonia is super ethical, but I gather some of this list is based on some dubious analysis.

Best Buy may be ethical in a business sense by getting rid of their previous deceitful operations, but they definitely lack moral character. They nickle and dime you to death to make a buck.

Best Buy may be ethical in a business sense by getting rid of their previous deceitful operations, but they definitely lack moral character. They nickle and dime you to death to make a buck.
"You really need this $99 HDMI cable to go with that 32" Dynex TV!"

:rolleyes:

I notice all these Ethical Companies are extremely wealthy ones. Could it be that money changed hands to get the title?

Naaaaah...

But, but, but.... Microsoft is supposed to be the "big evil" company!?!?!

In all reality, I have worked a few contracts with MS, and they treat there employees great. Everything is all eco friendly and recycled. They have the worlds biggest fleet of hybrid cards to move employees around, and even support the local mass transt systems. You dont read about this stuff since MS doesent make a big deal about doing the right thing. They just do it.

I really want to know what the criteria for this is. There are companies on that list that totally shouldn't be, and there are companies totally missing.

This list is bogus, Best Buy is unethical as can be at times. They've lost multiple law suits regarding various services.

I bought a GE microwave oven at Best Buy for $80. It won't play play Mass Effect, so I'm never going to shop at Best Buy again. How did Best Buy make the list?

I bought an iPad for only $600 + $90/month in perpetuity. It won't play Mass Effect, or even flash video, but it does email without a real keyboard. How sweet is that! How come Apple isn't on the list?

I bought a GE microwave oven at Best Buy for $80. It won't play play Mass Effect, so I'm never going to shop at Best Buy again. How did Best Buy make the list?

I bought an iPad for only $600 + $90/month in perpetuity. It won't play Mass Effect, or even flash video, but it does email without a real keyboard. How sweet is that! How come Apple isn't on the list?

I loled. ;)

Morality =/= ethics

Chick-fil-A didn't make the cut? That's bogus, man.

Why? Because they're closed on Sundays?

The owner is a homophobic religious nut. I guess that's her right, but the company has also given millions of dollars to groups which support and promote discrimination against gay people. For all the talk about being good stewards of "all god has given us" the owners have a pretty nasty attitude towards their fellow human beings who don't share their religious beliefs. Using your power and influence to suppress people you disagree with for religious reasons doesn't seem very ethical to me.

Using your power and influence to suppress people you disagree with for religious reasons doesn't seem very ethical to me.

The very essence of ethics is following your philosophical/religious beliefs, regardless of the demands of judgmental and immoral people.

Why? Because they're closed on Sundays?

The owner is a homophobic religious nut. I guess that's her right, but the company has also given millions of dollars to groups which support and promote discrimination against gay people. For all the talk about being good stewards of "all god has given us" the owners have a pretty nasty attitude towards their fellow human beings who don't share their religious beliefs. Using your power and influence to suppress people you disagree with for religious reasons doesn't seem very ethical to me.

qq?

I wasn't aware of that. Links?

Chick-Fil-A Fast Food Chain Donated Nearly $2 Million To Anti-Gay Groups In 2009

More from EqualityMatters

They were in the news for awhile because they supported prop 8 out in California (which took away gay people's right to marry).

The very essence of ethics is following your philosophical/religious beliefs, regardless of the demands of judgmental and immoral people.

Why is homosexuality immoral? Since we're talking about religious morality, what does the bible have to say about slavery? Were the Confederates good moral people for standing up for their philosophical/religious beliefs that slavery is right and just?

Homosexuality is a perfectly natural condition. It's seen in other animals, and every male child a women has increases her likelihood of having a gay son by about 10%, indicating that perhaps it's some sort of evolved defense against overpopulation. Discriminating against someone because they're gay is just as evil as discriminating because someone is black, Jewish, or anything else beyond their control.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Is this one of those lists that you have to apply to get onto, so while not everyone that applies makes it, those that don't apply never do? That would explain a lot of missing companies....

Sounds like justifying being judgemental because one thinks it is morally just. The same logic that people have used to kill in the name of God since before written history.

Back