World's First 'Gamer Hotel' Opens In Amsterdam

HardOCP News

[H] News
The world's first gamer hotel has opened in Amsterdam and, contrary to what you might be expecting, the place doesn't seem gimmicky at all. In fact, it looks pretty neat.

In each of its 36 rooms includes gratis consoles and games. Guests can also use loaner handhelds for multiplayer adventures in the hotel bar -- there's even a comic book library that you can peruse. And for those who actually do leave their rooms, the hotel also offers a fleet of borrowable bikes (because that's how real Amsterdamians get around).

Interesting concept. But at the same time why bother traveling then? Get a flight from the USA to Amsterdam, or a train from UK to there, then you just sit in a hotel room all day playing video games... seems like a complete waste of a reason to go to another city or county.

I applaud them for the attempt but to me if their goal is to get a hotel full of games that just sit around and game all day and never leave that just seems like a waste of a trip. People can stay home and do that stuff.

Interesting concept. But at the same time why bother traveling then? Get a flight from the USA to Amsterdam, or a train from UK to there, then you just sit in a hotel room all day playing video games... seems like a complete waste of a reason to go to another city or county.

I applaud them for the attempt but to me if their goal is to get a hotel full of games that just sit around and game all day and never leave that just seems like a waste of a trip. People can stay home and do that stuff.

Except when I travel there seems to only be $25 pay movies and 6 local channels to watch when you are back in the room at night. At least this way you can get a little game time in after a hard day of visiting the red light district and coffee / brownie dens in Amsterdam (so I've heard). ;)

People go on holidays to Mexico and sit at the hotel pool all day getting drunk on margaritas, same kind of fools that would go to that hotel in Amsterdam.

Except when I travel there seems to only be $25 pay movies and 6 local channels to watch when you are back in the room at night. At least this way you can get a little game time in after a hard day of visiting the red light district and coffee / brownie dens in Amsterdam (so I've heard). ;)

I was going to make the joke about it being something to do after a few hours in the red light district. Lol

And that was what I didn't question what how much to rent games because we know how expensive moves can be.

People go on holidays to Mexico and sit at the hotel pool all day getting drunk on margaritas, same kind of fools that would go to that hotel in Amsterdam.

To a degree I guess. Guess they are at least going outside and enjoying the view. Better than never leaving your room ever.

There are lots of people who lost their homes in the recession, and their credit is so poor they can not get another home or an apartment. Those people who like to game in that situation could be a target of income.

There are lots of people who lost their homes in the recession, and their credit is so poor they can not get another home or an apartment. Those people who like to game in that situation could be a target of income.

So you're saying this is a hotel for homeless gamers? You know you can play a console in a rented apartment as well. So why pay 150 a day to stay in a hotel with consoles, when you can just buy one for less than 300?

Maybe for ppl with kids. Leave the kids at the hotel to play games, while the adults go out and party.

Back