Worlds Adrift Looks to be the Next Big MMO

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 17, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Worlds Adrift looks to be a Massively Multiplayer Online game in the same vein as Minecraft, but moving a bit past simple building blocks and creepers, and it relies on a lot of the ingame environment being created by the players themselves. Reuters has a story covering this and the huge investments being made into it. $24 or $36 is not a bad price if it makes good on its promises, and no in-game transactions as well. That is at least refreshing. It went on sale today. They are citing GTX 960/ R9 280 GPUs as the recommended video cards, so they should have plenty of footprint to sell into.

Check out the video.

It is a massive fantasy universe designed to appeal to a younger generation of players looking to build games themselves.

2. Nunu

Nunu Limp Gawd

Graphics look dated and simplistic. Maybe the gameplay is really fun , so at least it has that going ..

3. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

user-generated environments sounds cool and the physics system looks impressive but yeah the graphics look like something from 10 years ago

stefan231 likes this.
  4. thenapalm

thenapalm Limp Gawd

And the legend lives on.

Sicario, TwistedAegis, AK0tA and 3 others like this.
  5. alamox

alamox Limp Gawd

they have to keep it simple with destructible environement.
    the idea is good on paper, but does it play and how stable is it technically, need to check some youtube gameplay before i get this one

Rahh likes this.
  6. stefan231

stefan231 Gawd

Worlds Adrift requires a minimum of DirectX11 - ensure you have this version or higher.

A.)

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel i5-2400, AMD FX-8320

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: GTX 460 SE, AMD R7 250

Storage: 17.5 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel i7-2600K, AMD FX-8350

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Graphics: GTX 960, AMD R9 280

Storage: 17.5 GB available space

Please note: Worlds Adrift is only available for Windows 7, 8 or 10 PCs at the time of Early Access. Additional platforms may be supported at a later date.

7. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

Has potential - game mechanics can trump graphics as proven by Minecraft.

8. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Ugh, more building games. Looks neat though. Can't really say if it will succeed though, so many MMO's like this have failed, Wild Star comes to mind.

9. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Crimson Skies meets Fortnight meets the Heaven benchmark demo.

Kinda looks interesting. Maybe.

10. Lakados

Lakados Limp Gawd

Ambitious..... could have potential could also be a complete trollfest.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  11. Cobalt35

Cobalt35 [H]ard|Gawd

The aesthetic was an instant turnoff for me. As others have said, it looks dated and old. Hopefully the gameplay is good.

12. MrDeaf

MrDeaf Limp Gawd

gameplay trumps graphics

although I kind of wonder how much CPU power this game needs to work with such an open environment housing... who knows how many players.

stefan231 likes this.
  13. brucethemoose

brucethemoose n00bie

What if I'm not from "a younger generation"?

Because I want to try this ... I feel old :(

Trixar likes this.
  14. Prisoner849

Prisoner849 Gawd

No Man's Stratosphere.

Croak likes this.
  15. Chaos Machine

Chaos Machine Limp Gawd

There is no comparison between this and wildstar. This is more like ARK, Conan exiles, or space engineers crossed with some persistence and scale of a traditional mmo. The closest analog I can think of is something like second life or the short lived eq landmark.

brucethemoose likes this.
  16. brucethemoose

brucethemoose n00bie

Closest I can think of is Dual Universe (which is in pre-alpha ATM), and maybe older Forge-modded Minecraft server networks, with portals between servers (which don't exist on that scale anymore).

Im suprised we haven't had more voxel MMOs, TBH. I guess it's a hard concept to program, so they're only starting to come out of the oven now.

17. Sycraft

Sycraft [H]ardness Supreme

It's not so much that it is hard to program, but hard to make it look good. Our GPUs don't do voxels, they do triangles. So you can't accelerate the voxels themselves directly. You can go and turn them in to cubes for the GPU, but that is 12 triangles per voxel to do, which adds up super fast. So if you want it to look good you have to be more clever. You'd have to figure out a way to use voxels as underlying building blocks, but then some kind of translation or skin or whatever that looks good and makes efficient use of GPU resources. That is a more difficult task.

18. brucethemoose

brucethemoose n00bie

Eh, voxels look best when they're smoothed anyway, not when they're a giant array of cubes, IMO.

That's more triangles, but what you can do is just chunk the voxels like Minecraft, and then generate LODs for every chunk as they're unloaded so you get a respectable view at distance, right?

I guess that gets complicated in an MMO though. That can also turn into ALOT of data to sync in a hurry...

19. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Just cause 4 building and rag doll falling simulator?

Am a tiny but curious tho...

20. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

You're old, shut up and get in line for the buffet.

21. tetris42

tetris42 2[H]4U

Go to bed, old man.

22. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Yea pretty much anything using that outdated 2002 cell shaded world of warcraft looking garbage is just an instant no buy from me. I'm beyond sick of that art style now and frankly just consider it lazy development at this point.

23. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

Considering how popular zelda BotW, prety sure your opinion is not exactly logical/valid. "cell shaded" games are still very popular. Making the assumption that all people want the exact same game done the exact same way is pretty "outdated".

24. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Zelda's popularity has nothing to do with its art style, also while the game itself is amazing it looks like shit. Agree, disagree I don't really care. The whole cell shaded washed out colors trend in gaming is old, worn out and lazy. I for one am sick of seeing it.