World Travels Laptop - ThinkPad x240

jatx

n00b
I'm about to embark on a world travel trip for about a year. Here's what I'm looking to do:
I've got a 15% discount through work with Lenovo.

Buy a baseline ThinkPad x240 for $750 (including the upgraded battery for 20hrs battery and Core i3-4010U Processor)

Planned After Market Upgrades:
  • 8gb RAM
  • 256 SSD
  • better CPU (i5+, 3ghz+)

Why this laptop:
  • Ultra-light
  • Doesn't look flashy
  • Best battery life on the market
  • Don't need a crazy good screen

Am I missing anything?

It's been a long time since I've upgraded parts on a laptop (built a great desktop last year thanks to help from this forum).

Looking forward to your opinion! TIA

ETA: What do you think are the best deals for processor, RAM and SSD for that laptop? My current desktop processor is i5-4670k @ 3.4 ghz and would like to be close to that performance-wise.

Last edited:
If you have the funds to travel the world for a year, why not just buy a top of the line notebook instead of having to worry about doing the upgrades yourself and dealing with component compatibility? Seems odd to be "pinching pennies" on a notebook if you can afford such a costly endeavor.

I was thinking about getting the same for a trip to Asia next month. Wish I had that discount.

I'm about to embark on a world travel trip for about a year. Here's what I'm looking to do:
I've got a 15% discount through work with Lenovo.

Buy a baseline ThinkPad x240 for $750 (including the upgraded battery for 20hrs battery and Core i3-4010U Processor)

Planned After Market Upgrades:
  • 8gb RAM
  • 256 SSD
  • better CPU (i5+, 3ghz+)

Why this laptop:
  • Ultra-light
  • Doesn't look flashy
  • Best battery life on the market
  • Don't need a crazy good screen

Am I missing anything?

It's been a long time since I've upgraded parts on a laptop (built a great desktop last year thanks to help from this forum).

Looking forward to your opinion! TIA

ETA: What do you think are the best deals for processor, RAM and SSD for that laptop? My current desktop processor is i5-4670k @ 3.4 ghz and would like to be close to that performance-wise.

Aftermarket upgrades for laptop processors are not recommended. Buy the processor you need at the onset. Also, there's no way you can get anywhere close to the same performance as a desktop i5-4670k, even without overclock. The x240 is limited by voltage, by heat, and by power. The fastest possible x240 option will be slower than a stock i5-4670k.

The RAM and SSD upgrades at least are the smart way to go. Very easy, doesn't void warranties and doesn't involve disassembling your laptop.

I'd go cheap, on the road laptops get damaged, lost, stolen. $300-400, consider it disposable.

Get a 220V plug

Install OS that is bootable from USB3 flash drive, keep it separate, if laptop is lost you still have your work, etc.

I was thinking about getting the same for a trip to Asia next month. Wish I had that discount.

Anyone can get the Barnes & noble gold discount. Search this forum, I've posted the link before. Just create a new account (free) and check out the lower prices, they constantly run different promos.

What are you going to be using the device for, and what type of trip are you taking?

I have a DSLR and a GoPro that I will be photo/video editing. Otherwise I run a business online - writing, compiling interview audio/video.

Will probably be carrying it on my back and using it unplugged frequently.

Looks like it would be: $1,065.90

ThinkPad x240 with:
- extended battery
- core i7 4600u 4mb 3.3ghz
- win 8 (Pro add $50)

Would need to upgrade:
- 8gb single stick of RAM (only has 1 slot) - ~75 on amazon
- 250GB SSD - ~140 on amazon

Also, for $150 there is a 2 year apocalypse type warranty available.

Actually I have a 120gb SSD that my desktop wouldn't miss since it can't join me on the world trip.

X series CPU's are soldered to the mobo.

You will never be able to upgrade it.

Pretty much what I've been looking at for myself. I just feel it's overpriced for what it is but there isn't many other alternatives out there.

Back