World’s Largest Full HD Glasses-Free 3D Display

HardOCP News

[H] News
I found my next TV. Sure it's a prototype that weighs 500kg and takes up more square footage than the average studio apartment...but I still want one. ;)

Ahhhh my dream has finally come to fruition! All those times of seeing a bit of side boobage and bending to the side in hopes of actually seeing a boob will not be realized!!!

[H] e-rage: "3D is a gimmick and a fad and I can't wait until it DIAF."

Thank goodness the television and movie industry chose to ignore these people and improve on 3D technology.

Thank goodness the television and movie industry chose to ignore these people and improve on 3D technology.

I want it to either progress beyond the gimmick stage or die already. I've had enough of movies doing stupid "stuff flies at the screen" because they want to show "HEY LOOK IT'S THREE DEEE!!!!!!"

now see i would LOVE to try out 3d gaming with that TV

No glasses ftw

I want it to either progress beyond the gimmick stage or die already. I've had enough of movies doing stupid "stuff flies at the screen" because they want to show "HEY LOOK IT'S THREE DEEE!!!!!!"

Yep. Unless they con commercialize something that seems to work as well as this thing appears to 3d should just die. At this point it's nothing more than a gimmick to hike movie ticket and television prices.

That's amazing. Hopefully we've see home versions within the next 5 years.

this may be a problem too what you see on one side you don't see on another side depending where you are sitting. So you might have to watch a movie twice to see it all if you can't see what other people see sitting on one side or another. Could be a good thing or bad thing.

and when there is hot girls in mini shirts on that 3D TV you want to sit in front and down low. ;)

57 projectors! :rolleyes:

And the ENIAC contained 17,468 vacuum tubes, 7,200 diods, 1,500 relays, 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors and around 5 million hand-soldered joints. It weighed more than 30 short (27 t), was roughly 8 by 3 by 100 feet (2.4 m × 0.9 m × 30 m), took up 1800 square feet (167 m2), and consumed 150 kW of power (courtesy of Wikipedia.)

They have to start somewhere.

The current state of 3D, with the crap glasses, is a gimmick, this does not appear to be.
Once this, or something similar, becomes affordable, and of a size to fit in the average home, 3d will actually have a chance at the mainstream. I will welcome it then myself.

So funny watching all of those Japanese people swaying back and forth in front of the thing. :D

This really isn't new technology. It could have been done with off the self parts twenty years ago. No one did it because it is not practical. The only media that will work with it must be specifically made for it at enormous expense. (You will need a camera for every projector)

And the ENIAC contained 17,468 vacuum tubes, 7,200 diods, 1,500 relays, 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors and around 5 million hand-soldered joints. It weighed more than 30 short (27 t), was roughly 8 by 3 by 100 feet (2.4 m × 0.9 m × 30 m), took up 1800 square feet (167 m2), and consumed 150 kW of power (courtesy of Wikipedia.)

They have to start somewhere.

Yeah, they started at the transistor. There currently is no transistor analog for projecting that will cause projector size, cost and efficiency to improve geometrically for decades.

Yeah, it is kinda big.

I still would like to see the current stereographic 3D effect, combined with headtracking. Its could either be real time CG graphics, or something like the parallel video feed they have going for this, and tech that selects which eye sees which of the parallel video feed frames, based on detected head position. Sure it will only work for 1 person at a time, but it is realisticly obtainable now using off the shelf tech that we have today.

This 57 projector array sytem can be for the future, after they figure out how to get small enough to fit in a living room.

If we could get 3D to fall under just one standard, it would probably take off that much more.

Die! Die 3D, Die! Stupid stuff....

Now give me a holodeck with some tactical feedback and some decent "programming" and I'm listening.

This really isn't new technology. It could have been done with off the self parts twenty years ago. No one did it because it is not practical. The only media that will work with it must be specifically made for it at enormous expense. (You will need a camera for every projector)

Yeah I got that. Gotta start somewhere. I wonder if someone will make a camera with 57 lens - though I'd imagine it'd be useless because each camera needs to be pointed at certain angles.

now see i would LOVE to try out 3d gaming with that TV

No glasses ftw

How much prosessing popwer and gpu power would you need to power 57 different outputs though?

57 video cards would probably be enough.. but I am betting the CPU power would need to be somewhere around 114x since everything would have to be rendered instead of just "visible items".

it would be very obnoxious to see someone running from side to side during a movie like these guys are almost doing.

Sweet! :cool: But how much does it cost and how much power does it require? LOL that it weighs almost half a ton. :eek:

Back