World’s Greatest Electric Car = W.E.N.G.

HardOCP News

[H] News
Okay, I’m just kidding, this thing is awful. This goofy-ass electric cart-thingy only goes 35mph with a range of 20 miles and has a $10k price tag.

The numbers for the W.E.N.G. don't make us think it'll be a huge hit for any but those who live in sunny and dry areas: a range of 20 miles (maybe 50 in a potential $10,000 production version) and a top speed of at least 35 miles per hour.

You could get a decent golf cart for $3000. Why the hell would I want this contraption?

Have they not seen Sun City, Arizona? It is the largest retirement community in the world (not including the entire state of Florida) and all they drive is electric golf carts. It is insanity. Old people + golf carts = avoid at all costs. This is hippies + electric thing(?) = Fail.

Have they not seen Sun City, Arizona? It is the largest retirement community in the world (not including the entire state of Florida) and all they drive is electric golf carts. It is insanity. Old people + golf carts = avoid at all costs. This is hippies + electric thing(?) = Fail.

Old people + golf cars = me having fun with my pickup truck :p

I'd rather have a desk.

LMFAO

You could get a decent golf cart for $3000. Why the hell would I want this contraption?

Get a gas powered one, dump 2k into mods and the damn thing will do 80... and it will have a roof and wind screen... it will be scary as fuck, but it will do it. or.. you know.. you could get a ariel atom, granted its 5 times the price, but its 50 time the car.

Looking at the photos in the article, appears that the vehicle probably uses considerably less energy to get from A, to B. The weight of the vehicle is observationally very low compared to any other "car" out there.

Then again, to be road worthy it would need to adopt and adhere to any number of vehicle standards for safety that would likely bring the weight up and thus efficiency comparable to other smart/electric cars.

TL/DR- Nothing to see here, move along.

I hope he did not spend much to go to Stanford.
FAIL on all accounts.

So Stanford only allows retards to enter their masters program? If I were those students I would be embarrassed to be filmed. When I was 13 my buddies and I made a go cart that was way better than that piece of crap.

I don't know if the majority of people here are being sarcastic/facetious or if they actually think they could do a better job. Any truth behind these claims or are these "hippies" from Stanford just an easy target for the super leet people here on hardforum?

I don't know if the majority of people here are being sarcastic/facetious or if they actually think they could do a better job. Any truth behind these claims or are these "hippies" from Stanford just an easy target for the super leet people here on hardforum?

Most of us said there's already something better out there. The students were wasting time making something inferior to even golf carts which has been around since 1951.

Yeah ok they made an electric motor with rechargeable batteries. I'm happy for them, but we already have them. And at less cost too.

So Stanford only allows retards to enter their masters program? If I were those students I would be embarrassed to be filmed. When I was 13 my buddies and I made a go cart that was way better than that piece of crap.

First off, your name suits you well. Second, I have my masters from Stanford and I am not a retard. Third, I'd like to see you build this in 10 weeks (the length of our quarters) with other classes.

So much hate. Relax people.

But, on the other hand, I do think it's rather weak for what the possibilities here were.

10K for what? I've built go-carts that used pricier parts that that thing, and it didn't get anywhere closer to $10k!

First off, your name suits you well. Second, I have my masters from Stanford and I am not a retard. Third, I'd like to see you build this in 10 weeks (the length of our quarters) with other classes.

Seriously took them 10 weeks to piece that together? Give me a welder, lots of pipes, a vacuum cleaner, and some car batteries and I'll have something similar to what they built.

You know what's worse is that it uses drive by wire steering. That means it uses electricity to turn the wheels, when you turn the wheels. For an electric car you'd think to try and save as much electricity as you can. Plus, when the battery runs dead the steering wheel is useless. Try pushing that shit back when you run it dead. For something that has a range of 20 miles, I can see this being a problem.

Have you seen this thing? It's a roll cage on wheels. I've seen shit done better in garages then this team has done. When I mean garages, I mean one person.

What's so special about this anyway? It's an overpriced go cart, and anyone who thinks it's something more should really have their heads checked.

Give it a windshield and increase it's speed to something that won't get on my nerves, then lower it's price to $3k, and you'll have something people would give a shit about.

Seriously took them 10 weeks to piece that together? Give me a welder, lots of pipes, a vacuum cleaner, and some car batteries and I'll have something similar to what they built.

You know what's worse is that it uses drive by wire steering. That means it uses electricity to turn the wheels, when you turn the wheels. For an electric car you'd think to try and save as much electricity as you can. Plus, when the battery runs dead the steering wheel is useless. Try pushing that shit back when you run it dead. For something that has a range of 20 miles, I can see this being a problem.

Have you seen this thing? It's a roll cage on wheels. I've seen shit done better in garages then this team has done. When I mean garages, I mean one person.

What's so special about this anyway? It's an overpriced go cart, and anyone who thinks it's something more should really have their heads checked.

Give it a windshield and increase it's speed to something that won't get on my nerves, then lower it's price to $3k, and you'll have something people would give a shit about.

So true, 10 weeks, the guy above must not be at all mechaincally inclined to rest on that for a moral. Majority of that junk ass thing coulda been done in a weekend without beer !

this, and you can get a an enclosed golf cart. (or at least plastic rain covers that snap into place when needed)

Was it just me or did they look like the old school Beverly Hillbillies when they were all crammed on that 'contraption'???

Really?? those people are getting PhD's and this is the best they can do, its a hunk of shit.

ahhh... stupid mechanical engineering students doing something that's been done a million times.

A Tesla would blow any muscle car out of the water off the line.

electric motors + off site turbines >> combustion engines. The only problem is batteries... what ever happened to that super-capacitor?

Damn this thing sucks and for 10k lololololololol.

That thing is a freakin death trap. I would love to see that thing operate in some traffic.

Epic Fail imo.

I feel another GTA title coming. There always has to be a bad boy at the retirement home.

You know, sneaking pills, hitting people with bed pans. Nurse's station stars! Just remember you will have to go everywhere uphill and like it.

No one is making light of your masters. A lot of stupid looking little widgets and mechanical curiosities are born of engineering masters programs. The students and Stanford seem to have made a really big deal out of this one, so it is only natural people say: "WTF!, My $7k golf cart is faster, looks better, has a stereo, wipers, horn, and even has a roof."

And yes, your typical class full of high school shop students could build that golf cart.

It's the blueprints they would have trouble making. ;)

Well in their defense, even though this was their master's thesis work, I can say you do more than doing your thesis work. You're usually taking a full load of classes (3 for grad work), plus you're teaching classes that your lazy fucking profs who are too busy with research to teach, on top of that you need to squeeze your 1 hour a week of "special" time with your thesis advisor to get feedback on everything when they want to talk about something completely different.

That said, thesis work for a masters does not need to be unique or "useful" like a PhD dissertation, but consider this is Stanford that advisor that gave them the thumbs up for this needs to be kicked in the head.

Back