World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

I'd actually put something together but the replay system refuses to let me do anything when in a replay, including leaving the replay itself.

I returned to playing WOWS last June after a 2.5 year break from all gaming. I kept up with the changes by watching Youtube gameplays and reviews so it wasn't difficult to get back in. It was right before the camo re-work and that was a yuge change IMHO.

yea, how is this game nowadays? I played for a few weeks probably about two years ago and it didn't stick. I'm coming back from a ~4 month break of gaming. I tried the Warzone thing but its going to give me a stroke.

Read on the World of Warships Reddit page, and it seemed like it was sort of dying.

I started playing about a year an a half ago so I dont have the historical hatred that many of the players do.
I spend about 95% of my time in Co-Op as the human battles are not really strategic, they are obnoxious. I like to play the game pretty passively in my down time, but I have been putting in the effort for some of the premium ships. I completed the Puerto Rico Shipyard and am pretty happy with that one. I bought about $50 worth of black friday loot crates and got the Massachusetts, Alaska and Atlanta. Yesterday I unlocked my first supership after selling a metric shit-ton of flags/camo/Buffs I didnt need.

I was actually a prety big fan of the economic changes. Many of the skins are hideous so it was nice that I just get to pick and choose what balance of reward I want to attach to a ship. I do miss every round looking like a race in NFS:Underground II though.

The game isnt dying by any means.. Its changing and people are babies when it comes to change. The added battlepass can be a good thing for the more serious players, but means fuckall to me. But just like any game, its being monetized to hell, but there are still like 300+ ships available for free through grinding that do just fine. Its become my primary source of entertainment so I dropped Netflix/Spotify and dont mind throwing 20-30$/mo at this. Im definitely getting my moneys worth in hours.

That's sort of how I am. Path of Exile is "free" but you can buy stash slots and stuff. I probably have $300 tied up into the game, and its given me years of entertainment so I'm cool with it. If I have to toss $20 here and there, so be it.

The co-op sounds neat. Maybe I'll try that then. Didn't even know there was a co-op side of the game.

That's sort of how I am. Path of Exile is "free" but you can buy stash slots and stuff. I probably have $300 tied up into the game, and its given me years of entertainment so I'm cool with it. If I have to toss $20 here and there, so be it.

The co-op sounds neat. Maybe I'll try that then. Didn't even know there was a co-op side of the game.
Co-Op is just Humans vs Bots.. Its a much less aggressive playstyle, matches are shorter. The bots can get to be a bit predictable.. Rewards seems to average about 1/3 of a Random/Ranked battle, but also takes about 1/3 the time.

Few things I dont have to worry about with bots.
1) They actually play.. and sometimes have a decent strategy to employ.
2) They dont just do doughnuts in the middle of the maps... Theres always that ONE guy.
3) The bots used to run away at the end of a match, making you chase them into the corners. Now the CV does kind of a suicide run to the center to end the game. I still occasionally see one try to run, but having only like 1-2 boats left, searching for a human CV hidden in the corner of a map is a massive waste of time.
4) No cloud camping.. Ill often see human players all gather with a DD in smoke and just hide. Its a good strategy for when something gets spotted, it can get instantly annahilated, but its not fun to play against because there isnt much good defense unless you are in a really well coordinated division.
5) No AFK

The game is doing fine, I still get the server overloaded message here and there :). People now are hating on subs (really only BBs cry about it) They got sick of crying about CVs and DDs. It's funny, because subs can only really kill DDs or other subs in a single torp salvo, it takes 2+ for a Cruiser and 4+ for a BB.

Last edited:
The hardest part of this game is dealing with the whining about subs. Seriously, I like subs and if you don't... git gud n00b 💪
Subs are not nearly as bad as CVs. Cvs break every aspect of the game.

Any game i get i to with dual cvs i just quit out of., hell, most of games with a single cv i quit out of, especially in a dd

Man this is fun. Been doing the co-op. I bought a one month premium.

Now, do these battles get more difficult? Because I was ROCKING the map at first, now I'm getting hammered. Perhaps I'm getting too cocky though. Torpedos are wrecking me.

Man this is fun. Been doing the co-op. I bought a one month premium.

Now, do these battles get more difficult? Because I was ROCKING the map at first, now I'm getting hammered. Perhaps I'm getting too cocky though. Torpedos are wrecking me.
It varies from Tier to Tier... Honestly Tier V is a sweet spot for fun, functionality, and difficulty.
All still depends on what boats you use and your loadout strategy.
Torps never stop being a pain in the ass at any tier.

Join a decent clan as soon as you can. Their clan perks can really add up when you are new.

What Nation are you going to start grinding your tech tree in?
Im about 80% done with all USA ships, but the last few are going to long hauls.. I have up to Tier V on all the tech trees because certain seasonal battles have a V minimum but spreading them to all nations gives you a lot of opportunity to earn a LOT more credits/tokens/whatever they are peddling at the time. Dont be afread to read into the history either. Im not a naval buff, but ive enjoyed some of the backstories on the boats and they put a decent amount of effort into posting new stuff nearly every day.

If you want a clan invite, let me know..
VERY casual, no requirements in the one im in. Can have them send you an invite.
Clan [PASN] (Pirate Assassins)
_TheGeekFreek_

Something to keep in mind, your WarGaming account is semi-specific to the platform.. its either STEAM or anything else.
Steam gets the best/most loot drops I think.

Heres some stuff to get you started.
https://na.wargaming.net/shop/redeem/?bonus_mode=
WOWSJPCA4NOV
WOWSOGHOGHGIFT
BF22CONT4LOGIN
5YEARSONSTEAM

https://www.mmobomb.com/giveaway/world-warships-pack-keys

These links/codes were mostly for BlackFriday, but some may still be active.
Not sure if referral stuff is allowed here, but it usually nets us both a bonus.
https://friends.worldofwarships.com/join/_TheGeekFreek_

Last edited:
It varies from Tier to Tier... Honestly Tier V is a sweet spot for fun, functionality, and difficulty.
All still depends on what boats you use and your loadout strategy.
Torps never stop being a pain in the ass at any tier.

Join a decent clan as soon as you can. Their clan perks can really add up when you are new.

What Nation are you going to start grinding your tech tree in?
Im about 80% done with all USA ships, but the last few are going to long hauls.. I have up to Tier V on all the tech trees because certain seasonal battles have a V minimum but spreading them to all nations gives you a lot of opportunity to earn a LOT more credits/tokens/whatever they are peddling at the time. Dont be afread to read into the history either. Im not a naval buff, but ive enjoyed some of the backstories on the boats and they put a decent amount of effort into posting new stuff nearly every day.

If you want a clan invite, let me know..
VERY casual, no requirements in the one im in. Can have them send you an invite.
Clan [PASN] (Pirate Assassins)
_TheGeekFreek_

Something to keep in mind, your WarGaming account is semi-specific to the platform.. its either STEAM or anything else.
Steam gets the best/most loot drops I think.

Heres some stuff to get you started.
https://na.wargaming.net/shop/redeem/?bonus_mode=
WOWSJPCA4NOV
WOWSOGHOGHGIFT
BF22CONT4LOGIN
5YEARSONSTEAM

https://www.mmobomb.com/giveaway/world-warships-pack-keys

These links/codes were mostly for BlackFriday, but some may still be active.

I'm on IV right now with US.

I started an account years and years ago. I'm access level 15 apparently.

I'm here for co-op. I'm done (for now) pvp stuff.

I'm still figuring all these screens and points and stuff out.

For the US tree, if you grind your way through the cruisers to get the Des Moines, your life will get a LOT easier.
Its an amazing ship. Up until I got my Black Friday Atlanta B, the Des Moines has been my go-to ship to grind credits. Its a monster in Co-Op.
Great for farming flags and Citadels.

Man I'm like the first to die in every round now. I think I'm waaaaay to offensive. I keep all ships to full speed and charge in. I need to kick back more I think.

Man, I was up a bit later than usual playing this. Great game. I'm enjoying it. I'm only doing co-op and I guess the XP is a bit lower, but I'm totally fine in the T5 class. This is fantastic. Bought the Omaha last night and was doing awesome.

Man I'm like the first to die in every round now. I think I'm waaaaay to offensive. I keep all ships to full speed and charge in. I need to kick back more I think.

the whole game is super passive anymore when there is a sub(s) and/or cv(s) in the round. Should have got Atlanta B but didn't.

Westwood, once you get to T6 you can do the operations which I feel give you better rewards that co-op win or lose. they do take a lot longer to play though.

the whole game is super passive anymore when there is a sub(s) and/or cv(s) in the round. Should have got Atlanta B but didn't.

Westwood, once you get to T6 you can do the operations which I feel give you better rewards that co-op win or lose. they do take a lot longer to play though.
yea, I've read about that before. I'll try those eventually, but I'm too hooked on those pve skirmishes right now, haha

Made the mistake on doing randoms.

I'm in last place and haven't won a single game.

I'm now stuck in the loop of not wanting to leave until I at least live through a game.

Its going to be a long night.

Man this game looks pretty good in 4k

1669951753235.png

Made the mistake on doing randoms.

I'm in last place and haven't won a single game.

I'm now stuck in the loop of not wanting to leave until I at least live through a game.

Its going to be a long night.
Unfortunately, you missed the peak of the game by years and it's a finely tuned cash cow that has chucked any semblance of balance right out the fucking window.

Undo the mistake and stick to co-op. Nearly none of the stress of randoms while still having a sliver of what makes or made the game fun.

Unfortunately, you missed the peak of the game by years and it's a finely tuned cash cow that has chucked any semblance of balance right out the fucking window.

Undo the mistake and stick to co-op. Nearly none of the stress of randoms while still having a sliver of what makes or made the game fun.
man I was getting so pissed too. but I do have a larger increase in XP regardless. I just charge in, die in two minutes, hop onto another ship, and just rotate them out.

Dad was a sub tech and his uncle is Master Chief and Master Diver so I want to get to subs because I think they're awesome. It was a bit slow going though. But yea, waaaaay more fun in the co-op. I'm doing the randoms for the XP.

I can't really put my finger on it either. I just get wasted every round. I'd try charging in, now I'm kicking back, and still I get destroyed.

man I was getting so pissed too. but I do have a larger increase in XP regardless. I just charge in, die in two minutes, hop onto another ship, and just rotate them out.

Dad was a sub tech and his uncle is Master Chief and Master Diver so I want to get to subs because I think they're awesome. It was a bit slow going though. But yea, waaaaay more fun in the co-op. I'm doing the randoms for the XP.

I can't really put my finger on it either. I just get wasted every round. I'd try charging in, now I'm kicking back, and still I get destroyed.
The secret is Divisions

Huh, was unaware this game had pve. Neat looking game, tried it for a bit, but I really only have patience for 1 pvp mmo and that's currently war thunder gf.

Might have to check that out.

Huh, was unaware this game had pve. Neat looking game, tried it for a bit, but I really only have patience for 1 pvp mmo and that's currently war thunder gf.

Might have to check that out.
dude I get so pissed at the pvp. that's really any game now though.

against the bots is neat. you do have the use the boats somewhat properly. just can't go charging in and nuke everything. but the xp gain is sloooooooow compared to pvp randoms. and you need the xp to move onto new ships. I'm really focused on opening up subs.

I need more practice against people. I get nuked so easily. I get too aggressive and get wiped.

I like playing subs
😜
I think it was a good change up for WOWS. But its not for everybody, I get that. I think the main reason I like subs is it reminds me of stealth games which is one of my favorite genres (eg Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, MGS).

Here are my pro-tips in playing with and against subs:

Playing subs:

• Be patient, subs are not meant for yolo'ing.
  • Be aware of your dive capacity and use it sparingly. Subs are like DDs with low detect-ability so I only dive when I see planes and ships nearby.
  • Periscope depth is great as you can go full speed (depending on sub) too.
  • Hunt in open waters. Cruising around islands can be deadly as a undetected ship can pop around an island and you'll be destroyed quickly.

Against subs:

• Point subs out on the mini map if you see sub signs (wake) so your team mates are aware.
  • Use your ASW quick before the sub dives or disappears from detection. Be careful when dropping depth charges because subs may surface right under you in an attempt to use it as a ram.
  • Islands can help protect you against subs as stated above.
  • CVs shouldn't waste planes scouting or hunting for subs when other ships still remain on the surface as subs are difficult to spot and attack with planes. Subs should be prioritized last by CVs.

I need more practice against people. I get nuked so easily. I get too aggressive and get wiped.

this game right now is all about very slow play. It is one of things that I hate about it and why I like playing DDs. If you are playing cruisers and at T5 expect to die quickly. T5 cruisers melt. Another reason why I hate the +2/-2 match making in these games. I don't think PvP gets any easier unless you are just a very good player. The subs and especially the CVs make it so much harder to learn to play because the CV break every aspect of the game.

Try to keep yourself at almost max gun range from others and just learn to shoot. expand your mini map to be pretty large and try to just position yourself in a way that you aren't broadside on to other ships. Shoot and scoot.

this game right now is all about very slow play. It is one of things that I hate about it and why I like playing DDs. If you are playing cruisers and at T5 expect to die quickly. T5 cruisers melt. Another reason why I hate the +2/-2 match making in these games. I don't think PvP gets any easier unless you are just a very good player. The subs and especially the CVs make it so much harder to learn to play because the CV break every aspect of the game.

Try to keep yourself at almost max gun range from others and just learn to shoot. expand your mini map to be pretty large and try to just position yourself in a way that you aren't broadside on to other ships. Shoot and scoot.
I start off like that, then once I start firing, I slam it into gear and chase people down. I have to learn to back off and seek cover. I get so amped up, I just want to barge in and start shotgunning people.

I start off like that, then once I start firing, I slam it into gear and chase people down. I have to learn to back off and seek cover. I get so amped up, I just want to barge in and start shotgunning people.

and that is the PvE player in you :)

PvE you can do that.

Yeah the +2/-2 br system has been a cancer in Wargaming ever since my WoT days back in 09 or so. Way too much power difference.

*Edit* is it battle rating? Maybe that's only war thunder. Is it rank?

Yeah the +2/-2 br system has been a cancer in Wargaming ever since my WoT days back in 09 or so. Way too much power difference.

*Edit* is it battle rating? Maybe that's only war thunder. Is it rank?

battle rating is war thunder

+/- 2 works for ships because any caliber HE is capable of damage and fires, thus no ship is immune to any other ship. It also helps with both variety and giving a higher probability of some action by letting lower tier ships get blasted. People forget that WG is trying to keep you engaged and entertained which will keep you spending money, of course.

Damage values are percentages compared to WoT's damage roll range, too, which is a simple but important difference between the games and understanding how to play better in either.

+/- 2 works for ships because any caliber HE is capable of damage and fires, thus no ship is immune to any other ship.
I mean technically lower tier tanks can just blast HE at larger tanks all they want lol. Didn't mean it made the game fun back when I played.

Back