World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

it seems like it but the armor pen on the tirpitz guns are ridiculous, makes every other battleship look like they have toy guns. along with being faster than any other battleship and having torps, the tirpitz is still scary.

Yeah, to clarify it's not the power of the hits... The damn thing sinks ships good.... it's HITTING anything with it at range.

Switch your spotter for a fighter, it is more useful IMO.

Torps are for charging other BB's, I got an Amagi and a NC the other day for a double strike. Torp'ed both of the one from each side. The secondaries got the NC and I finished off the Amagi.

You would be amazed how many players forgot you have torps in ranked I definitely find them useful.

That's a good idea about the plane. That "spotter view" the Tirpitz and Murmansk have is simply beyond my skill to use, beyond getting lucky.

I still can't figure out what the derp to do with torps on the Derski LOL

This is the best way I can describe a big cruiser vs. a Derpski:

https://youtu.be/ocJ1GTnmO-w?t=46s

I don't care who you are, that there's funny :D

Derp, derp, derp a derp.

7TVJx68.jpg

576h02L.jpg

eiwdI23.jpg
I also dodged more friendly torps than enemy torps in that game.

That's a good idea about the plane. That "spotter view" the Tirpitz and Murmansk have is simply beyond my skill to use, beyond getting lucky.

I still can't figure out what the derp to do with torps on the Derski LOL

This is the best way I can describe a big cruiser vs. a Derpski:

https://youtu.be/ocJ1GTnmO-w?t=46s

I don't care who you are, that there's funny :D

Don't use the spotter plane on the Tirpitz. It's a brawler. If you use the concealment/camo skills you can bring your detection down a bit to get into range. I don't shoot at targets >20km.

Finally played a match in a BB, in the arp kongo. We lost, but I led the team in xp, did 95k damage with 4 cits, and didn't die (and didn't really take all that much damage). For a first ever BB run, not too bad I guess, esp in a T5-7 match.

Damn though, it's so slow paced, waiting forever (or 30 seconds, which is forever in this game) for reloads just annoys the shit out of me.

oh jeesus.. again

On the Amagi, double strike, ( is there a triple? Pretty sure I got 3 in 15 seconds) , then a dying torp of the myoko i just killed detonated me :< from about 40k hp

Finally played a match in a BB, in the arp kongo. We lost, but I led the team in xp, did 95k damage with 4 cits, and didn't die (and didn't really take all that much damage). For a first ever BB run, not too bad I guess, esp in a T5-7 match.

Damn though, it's so slow paced, waiting forever (or 30 seconds, which is forever in this game) for reloads just annoys the shit out of me.

BB's are for us old guys that have to pee a lot.

I would have expected a much higher XP score for that kind of run!

XP scales up with the ship tiers along with what tier you're shooting/hitting.. had a similar game to chibe's where everything was T2/T3 only T4's were the carriers on both teams and 2 wyomings on my team while in the derzki.. had 19 torp hits 98 gun hits(damn carriers), 2 double strikes(you don't actually get 2 double strike awards btw, lol) and confederate with 6 kills(this was before the reward changes) only got 2100 XP. now if i did that same game in say my fubuki against T7 ships that would of been a 4.5k XP game easy without premium.

each tier below or above you has an XP multiplier. same tier as you is a 1x multiplier. hense why even if you get screwed and the enemy team has a bunch of ships a tier or two higher than you, never give up because those are the games where you can rake in XP.

Are any of you folks running on a widescreen? I am seriously looking at the Dell 34". Currently I have an older ASUS 27" 1080p monitor, nothing special. My new rig can definitely drive the Dell. Does a higher refresh rate matter to WoWS? The Dell is 60hz and doesn't have g-sync, but it is ~ $400 cheaper than the Acer widescreens. Aside from WoWS, I play mostly Fallout 4, XCom and I did download WOT but haven't gotten into it yet.

So here's the real question - given the above games, would you want a 144hz/1440p 27" with g-sync, a 34" widescreen 60hz/1440p no g-sync, or something else?

Are any of you folks running on a widescreen? I am seriously looking at the Dell 34". Currently I have an older ASUS 27" 1080p monitor, nothing special. My new rig can definitely drive the Dell. Does a higher refresh rate matter to WoWS? The Dell is 60hz and doesn't have g-sync, but it is ~ $400 cheaper than the Acer widescreens. Aside from WoWS, I play mostly Fallout 4, XCom and I did download WOT but haven't gotten into it yet.

So here's the real question - given the above games, would you want a 144hz/1440p 27" with g-sync, a 34" widescreen 60hz/1440p no g-sync, or something else?

I play on a 1440 korean monitor myself. 60 hz is fine for this game, hell, the game itself might not even be able to run past 60 fps. For the games you listed above, the only one that will benefit from having more than 60 fps is fallout 4.

The game's UI does not scale past 1080p, so on a 1440p monitor, everything will be smaller. The biggest problem that comes with having a smaller UI is that the crosshair isn't big enough any more and you have to use a mod to extend that crosshair all the way across the screen.

I have a wide screen and love it to death. I always wanted surround with no bezels. Great for immersion.

That's a tough choice. I do think you're right in looking at 144Hz vs 21:9. What I personally want is a 21:9 with high Hz... Maybe the predator but I think there is mixed reviews? I personally do not think 4k makes sense. I'd prefer widescreen and/or high Hz.

Also you can drive 1440p well with a single 980ti. Avoiding the mess of multiGPU.

In megapixels:
1080: 2
1440 16:9: 3.7
1440 21:9: 5
4k 16:9: 8

Anyone else hate their Yamato? I'm simply terrible in it and I never want to drive it.

18" guns, 7km secondaries stock, armor that laughs at my Iowa.... pretty sure they are considered "OP".

I've never driven one though

And at business6. Colorado is one of my best BBs. Pretty sure one penned my Iowa yesterday too. Was a bit surprised when my health dropped. Kinda wrote him off :)

Last edited:

I'm running a LG 34UM95-P monitor. Its capped at 60HZ but that is good enough for gaming. The nice thing about the 21:9 monitors is that they are a good alternative to 4K monitors and dont require the GPU horse power like a 4K set up needs. I don't think the 4k monitors/TVs have matured enough yet to entice me to buy one especially since I want a large screen 40" or bigger.

I play on a 1440 korean monitor myself. 60 hz is fine for this game, hell, the game itself might not even be able to run past 60 fps. For the games you listed above, the only one that will benefit from having more than 60 fps is fallout 4.

The game's UI does not scale past 1080p, so on a 1440p monitor, everything will be smaller. The biggest problem that comes with having a smaller UI is that the crosshair isn't big enough any more and you have to use a mod to extend that crosshair all the way across the screen.

it does run above 60fps, but i prefer to have my frame rate at 72. not sure why but the game just feels smoother at that frame rate instead of 60fps.

yeah the UI thing annoyed the heck out of me.

How does one get a bigger (wider) cross hair? It's especially bad with AFT. You got like 4" leading from the edge of the crosshair !

So Amazon dropped the price of the Dell U3415W to $699 and I pulled the trigger. Should have it Monday unless it gets lost in the upcoming blizzard. Boom!

How long do these matches last and as a newb what should I watch out for?

How long do these matches last and as a newb what should I watch out for?

20 minutes is the max. Some are as short as 10 if the map is small and your team steam rolls them.

Try to avoid showing your broadside if someone if firing at you. Don't be the first one to rush in. Co-op games are with people vs computer bots. Random is PvP and you get much higher exp rewards. And there is no kill stealing. Exp is based mainly on % damage done.

The Tier 1 Hermelin and Tier 1 Orlan Cruisers are awesome trainers. They both pack a punch, and also show very clearly the difference between HE and AP ammo.

Either one of these ships set to AP, and if you can learn to hit right at the water line in certain spots, and you'll be sinking ships so fast it will make your head spin.

And never sell them. They are great for racking up convertible free XP and are just outright fun. They are perfect for Seal Clubbing once you get some experience :)

20 minutes is the max. Some are as short as 10 if the map is small and your team steam rolls them.

Try to avoid showing your broadside if someone if firing at you. Don't be the first one to rush in. Co-op games are with people vs computer bots. Random is PvP and you get much higher exp rewards. And there is no kill stealing. Exp is based mainly on % damage done.

I know there's really no kill stealing, but when you spend 5 minutes or longer chasing down a BB and wearing him out little by little, and a guy comes along and puts a single pellet of HE on him and gets the kill, it still hurts :)

There's just something satisfying about that plink noise and the red banner that alarmingly shows up on the right :)

I know there's really no kill stealing, but when you spend 5 minutes or longer chasing down a BB and wearing him out little by little, and a guy comes along and puts a single pellet of HE on him and gets the kill, it still hurts :)

There's just something satisfying about that plink noise and the red banner that alarmingly shows up on the right :)

Yeah I get it. My k/d is probably super low for my avege exp. I'd rather someone KS then let that BB citadel something.

I citadelled two cruisers from full health last night in my Iowa. Nothing brings me more joy :). One was a mik and the other a New Orleans.

Yeah I get it. My k/d is probably super low for my avege exp. I'd rather someone KS then let that BB citadel something.

I citadelled two cruisers from full health last night in my Iowa. Nothing brings me more joy :). One was a mik and the other a New Orleans.

I did that last night in the arp kongo, on I think a konig. 2 cits in 1 salvo, devasting strike..It is enjoyable, but once I get the project R bb mission done, I'll player ca or dd 99% of the time.

I did that last night in the arp kongo, on I think a konig. 2 cits in 1 salvo, devasting strike..It is enjoyable, but once I get the project R bb mission done, I'll player ca or dd 99% of the time.

I am still grinding the 25 kills in a carrier. Arrgghh so painful. I like playing carrier once in a blue moon, not all the time... I have about half the kills I need... So about six more games. I seem to get about 2/game. I think they made it harder to get floodings. I slammed 7 torps into a Colorado and only got one.

I am still grinding the 25 kills in a carrier. Arrgghh so painful. I like playing carrier once in a blue moon, not all the time... I have about half the kills I need... So about six more games. I seem to get about 2/game. I think they made it harder to get floodings. I slammed 7 torps into a Colorado and only got one.

yes, the chance of flooding from carrier torp bombers was reduced by half a while ago.

Praise this update! they show you how much hP you'll gain back now before using repair party!

Hmm, looks like that code is dead now, glad I opted to enter it this morning. And to play a game, because, well I had to make sure they showed up, and since the game was already loaded...work could wait.:cool::D

Still trying to grind out the ARP Kongo 30 cruisers kills and ARP Myoko 30 destroyers kills. Think I got 15 cruisers and maybe 7 destroyers pretty hard to actually get the kill shot with battleships or carriers cause they fire so slow. Destroyers are just plain hard to hit. Started working on american cruisers got to the Phoenix.

How exactly does the award for the Project R Kamikaze destroyer lottery work. Do you have to have 150 pearls when that benchmark is reached or at the end of the promotion?

Apropos the comments/questions earlier about using AMD's DSR, I am running a 1.05x scaling (custom registry settings), e.g. 2016x1260 on my 1920x1200 monitor, and light FXAA from WOWS' settings (everything else maxed out). With one of the larger reticles from Aslain's modpack and generally having good eyes, it's working out well and the image quality is a whole lot better, even from that small amount of downsampling. Pushing up to 1.1x scaling made everything a little too small for the IQ benefit.

Still trying to grind out the ARP Kongo 30 cruisers kills and ARP Myoko 30 destroyers kills. Think I got 15 cruisers and maybe 7 destroyers pretty hard to actually get the kill shot with battleships or carriers cause they fire so slow. Destroyers are just plain hard to hit. Started working on american cruisers got to the Phoenix.

How exactly does the award for the Project R Kamikaze destroyer lottery work. Do you have to have 150 pearls when that benchmark is reached or at the end of the promotion?

I think it's by the end of the event you'll need either the 150 or 260, not necessarily at the milestone.

A lot of what your doing with the arp missions will overlap with the project_r missions. make sure you are registered, you won't start collecting pearls until you do.
http://worldofwarships.com/en/project_r/missions

Also the top 5 base xp scores this weekend in a T4 cruiser will win the kamikaze + premium time.
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/in...in-game-competition-win-a-kamikaze-r-122-124/

So Kuma, Phoenix, or Karlsruhe.

I'm at 95, probably add 20 more tonight or tomorrow.

Don't have a kuma, I was that guy and free xp'd past the tenryu and kuma and went straight into a fully upgraded taco, because I just didn't feel like playing them. I guess I could sell the taco, don't need it along with an aoba and the myoko.

Back