World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

I went ahead and played ONE ranked today, and it was enough. It was a Tier 9/10 ranked, and we had THREE CLEVELANDS on our side! They had Mogami's and other T7/8 cruisers.

They had Two Shimi's and a Benson. We had a Benson and a Fubuki. Yes, even mismatched it gave them an extra destroyer.

It was a fucking slaughter. It lasted all of 9 minutes I think.

Wtf. There is t9/10 now?

He may have meant rank 9? Still doesn't make sense for ranked for the tier spread.

Hadn't played kiev much post-nerf since I got the blyska, had kind of forgotten how much fun that ship is.

Also had a couple of games where unwise CV's sent squadrons over my kutozov, barrage melted away 14 planes in about 20 seconds in one of them. That was just funny to watch. Helped me get over the 150 planes hump for the arp kongo.

Ok, I see what the confusion is now. I was mistaken when I said THAT game was a Ranked battle. It was not. That was the first one I played where I forgot to set it to ranked first. I think.

The part about the Cleveland's and the Tier X ship's is correct though, and it was still a bloodbath.

I have replays enabled. I'll see if I can find it. I played a LOT last night so it's pretty buried in there.

Oh, and I finally earned the Kagero last night. I want to master this thing so I can dish out some of the madness I saw last night. Need a LOT of upgrades first, though. Right now it's barely at the level of a fully loaded Fubuki (funny how they do that).

Also, I can't seem to get it down to the 4.3km visibility that I've read about. 6.0 with all of the options and flags is the best I can do with it. Not sure what I'm missing. Maybe it's in Hull B or C.

Oh, and I finally earned the Kagero last night. I want to master this thing so I can dish out some of the madness I saw last night. Need a LOT of upgrades first, though. Right now it's barely at the level of a fully loaded Fubuki (funny how they do that).

Also, I can't seem to get it down to the 4.3km visibility that I've read about. 6.0 with all of the options and flags is the best I can do with it. Not sure what I'm missing. Maybe it's in Hull B or C.

Do you have the T5 captain skill? I don't have that boat so I am guessing.

Yeah I noticed with T8 and up you really want to save your free XP for ship upgrades. It's kind brilliant the way they have it set up....

Last edited:
Not yet, and I think you're right !!! That is a LONG way away :(

I'm at 11 on that ship. 15 seems like such a long journey

I'm considering getting the Atago back just to help build it up quicker, but I kinda don't like the Atago :)

Yeah... 6km isn't too shabby either.

The problem I've found is if you DO get detected, you are frickin' DEAD. I am constantly losing propulsion to the point I went back and changed one of my upgrades to -20 propulsion damage from -20 torpedo where I had it.

Not yet, and I think you're right !!! That is a LONG way away :(

I'm at 11 on that ship. 15 seems like such a long journey

I'm considering getting the Atago back just to help build it up quicker, but I kinda don't like the Atago :)

Gotta take advantage of those x2 or x3 captain xp weekends. Are you moving your commander over as you go up the dd chain? Not sure how you only have an 11 pointer at T9, my 2 main DD captains are only T7 (kiev & blyska) and are both level 15.

Yep. I'm doing all that.

I'm not sure I caught on to that right away though when I first started back in August.

It's just a shame you can't rotate a captain among ALL of your ships of the same nationality. I can rotate a captain between my itchy-zuchi and the mogami, but not betwen the itchy-zuchi and the Kagero. If I try do do all 3 with the same captain, it wants to re-train every time I send it to a different non-premium ship. As long as I stick with one of the non-premiums, I'm fine. So while it doesn't brand itself to the premium ship, it does brand itself to a non premium ship. Bummer.

Last edited:
I'm at L10, it ends tomorrow, so I'm really done this time

That was a damned struggle I tell ya.

Overall, I think the Tirpitz was my best ranked ship this time. It's close between that and the Mogami.

What I didn't like about driving the Mogami is, and you know this if you have one, you have to drive it very, very smart. You must protect your flanks. The damn thing comes equipped from the factory doused in gasoline, and a single side hit can be all she wrote. So, it's not a ship for Yolo runs. You have to have AFT, stand off, and kill from a distance.

Problem is when you do that you'll sometimes get some asshole calling you a sandbagger. Fuck em'.

Gotta take advantage of those x2 or x3 captain xp weekends. Are you moving your commander over as you go up the dd chain? Not sure how you only have an 11 pointer at T9, my 2 main DD captains are only T7 (kiev & blyska) and are both level 15.

my guess is he uses to much free XP to progress up the tier line so his captain is way behind. a friend i play with does the same thing so his captains are way behind even though he plays the game twice as much as i did.

Hadn't played kiev much post-nerf since I got the blyska, had kind of forgotten how much fun that ship is.

Also had a couple of games where unwise CV's sent squadrons over my kutozov, barrage melted away 14 planes in about 20 seconds in one of them. That was just funny to watch. Helped me get over the 150 planes hump for the arp kongo.

yeah after the nerf a lot of people stopped playing the keiv which was sad, i enjoyed killing those things with my nagato. i did the 150 plays in my ryujo, lost every single game in that but i averaged 30 plane kills a game.. pretty much only launched my fighters and camped the other carrier with them since every game i was in was T7/8 so there was no point in trying to bomb or torp them since the alt torp drop friggin sucks now for dropping torps at long range.

I'm at L10, it ends tomorrow, so I'm really done this time

That was a damned struggle I tell ya.

Overall, I think the Tirpitz was my best ranked ship this time. It's close between that and the Mogami.

What I didn't like about driving the Mogami is, and you know this if you have one, you have to drive it very, very smart. You must protect your flanks. The damn thing comes equipped from the factory doused in gasoline, and a single side hit can be all she wrote. So, it's not a ship for Yolo runs. You have to have AFT, stand off, and kill from a distance.

Problem is when you do that you'll sometimes get some asshole calling you a sandbagger. Fuck em'.

I play IJN cruisers like I do my US DD's. Fairly similar play style. My Zao is built for ambushing and it works quite well. Less then 10KM detect range and the Zao's torps are god like in their speed and damage. If you can get the drop on other ships to put you within 8KM they will die a fast death due to those torps. They most so fast they are practically unavoidable.

my guess is he uses to much free XP to progress up the tier line so his captain is way behind. a friend i play with does the same thing so his captains are way behind even though he plays the game twice as much as i did.

That is probably part of it too.

I have too many ships. When I get where I want to be, I want only 1 or possibly 2 of each class. The best of the best, and that's it.

I won't use any freeXP or money to get past Tier 9. I'm not really interested in the cost of T10 ships. Eventually, a T9 will make enough on it's own to buy one, but that's what will have to make it happen.

I play IJN cruisers like I do my US DD's. Fairly similar play style. My Zao is built for ambushing and it works quite well. Less then 10KM detect range and the Zao's torps are god like in their speed and damage. If you can get the drop on other ships to put you within 8KM they will die a fast death due to those torps. They most so fast they are practically unavoidable.

The Zao is the one T10 ship I wouldn't mind having. The only problem is there is another POS between the Mogami and the Zao that you have to go through to get there.

That is probably part of it too.

I have too many ships. When I get where I want to be, I want only 1 or possibly 2 of each class. The best of the best, and that's it.

I won't use any freeXP or money to get past Tier 9. I'm not really interested in the cost of T10 ships. Eventually, a T9 will make enough on it's own to buy one, but that's what will have to make it happen.

That's kind of what I do. I play DD's mainly, and a few cruisers. Never played BB or CV. CV just doesn't seem like much fun to me, and my accuracy is too shitty to risk playing BB, the long reload times would kill me when I'm off by a hair (or a mile if they are quartering away from me, I swear I can't figure out that lead). I'll probably play the arg kongo a few times just to see how it is since I just got it, but it'll sit in port otherwise.

As a result, I've got like 70 mil silver and 160k free xp..lol.

Trying out AutoHotKey for better CV play. I'm setting it up so on the number keypad pressing 4 will select all my fighters (1 then shift-2 for 2 squadrons, for example), 5 will select all my torpedo bombers, and 6 will select all my dive bombers.

I wonder if I should add the double press to immediately go there on the map? I think I will.

I usually spread out my fighters so they don't get strafed. I've taken out three squadrons with a single strafe before (maybe one plane left here and there).

Also playing carrier, I tend to do full speed plus half cruise control rudder (default q or e). It's a bad idea to sit still.

Dayaks is Dayaks
Business6 is business6

Then it goes downhill
Chibe is Chibster
Digital viper is bananax
Dave99 is iadave (if I recall correctly)
Techlarry is steel_castles

That's all I can remember. I usually play mid day EST on days I am working from home. I love "seal clubbing" so if you see me in feel free to contact me.

Thank you will add all of you tonight and message you for platoons if I see you. I usually play nights after work.

Those are some annoying missions!! :) made to make you buy more ships + more port slots + more BLAH.

btw, jerk :p

I feel sorry for Viper, since he was driving a stock Amagi in a tier 10 game. Sending out blue bullets of love!
qTCTQG5.jpg

Had to release him of that pain!
M53PaSH.jpg
Stock japanese BBs just SUCK (unless your a Kawachi or a Myogi). Also, those Shims on your team REALLY fucked with us BBs.

I feel sorry for Viper, since he was driving a stock Amagi in a tier 10 game.
qTCTQG5.jpg

M53PaSH.jpg
Stock japanese BBs just SUCK (unless your a Kawachi or a Myogi). Also, those Shims on your team REALLY fucked with us BBs.

Yes, I'm a few K away now from the C-Hull, so I'm almost there. I've had some bad luck with it, ending up in mostly T9/T10 games :/ I'd like to go up against a Colorado or a Nagato for once :D (though even the stock Nagata out-ranges a stock Amagi)

I don't think your Yamato understands how spotting works.

I feel sorry for Viper, since he was driving a stock Amagi in a tier 10 game. Sending out blue bullets of love!
qTCTQG5.jpg

M53PaSH.jpg

Nice screen shot, perfect timing.

Although, this may be one of those situations where the other person saw it differently...

Nice screen shot, perfect timing.

Although, this may be one of those situations where the other person saw it differently...

lol yes, It was a painful moment, I was pretty sure I Was going to die. I came around a corner, to see Chibster in an Iowa, a Yamato about 1km behind him, and 2 cruisers, one of which was a Zao I believe. all about 8km away from me, broadside, you can see my attempted escape there!

Had probably one of my best games last night, in the blyska. Granted it was a T5-7 match, so that probably reduces it a bit, but still one of my highest base XP's that I can remember @ 2798 & 104k damage with no torp hits. Could have easily had the kraken, but had kill shots by the team and the last bb killed was just a couple seconds away from my torps hitting, so just 2 kills. Just the way it goes when the team is focus firing, which is fine, that's the way it should be to get the wins.

hqWgVbK.jpg

PePKUMl.jpg

WBSrv1r.jpg

11 vs 12 in this match. My whole team went north and I went south. Decided to lone wolf this game, because of the tier 1 in our team. Had to solo kill an Atago, that rusky tier 8 CL, a Roon, and a New Orleans. Somehow, we won with 1000 to 980. Do not want that team again.

vQL03Yf.jpg

wu67ue7.jpg

JnI10cD.jpg
A shout out to that Yamato on our team that was in first place. He also got confederate and high caliber. Hell, we both got confederate and high caliber on the same Yamato.

Dragging a tier 1 into that is just fantastic trolling, and makes me want to punch my monitor. And I wasn't even in the game!

man, just not having any luck with the Amagi :) ended up broad side to 2 new mexicos, and a NC all within 12KM! lol, and that was the FIRST game I got that was not T9/T10.

man, just not having any luck with the Amagi :) ended up broad side to 2 new mexicos, and a NC all within 12KM! lol, and that was the FIRST game I got that was not T9/T10.

I know the feeling. Though I do pretty well in the Mogami, it has a habit of just vaporizing out from under you even if you have full HP left. It's confusing sometimes.

Is it just me, or are the guns on the Tirpits kinda crappy? Feels like I'm hand-tossing a bag of rocks. Very poor grouping.

Range is fine. It's just such a large peppering once they get there you don't get big numbers out of it.

I like the ship. I just feel like I'm hand-throwing gravel at long distances. And oddly, the bullets are little tiny dots on the screen whereas the Mogami are big honkin' balls of fire !

Last edited:
Is it just me, or are the guns on the Tirpits kinda crappy? Feels like I'm hand-tossing a bag of rocks. Very poor grouping.

Range is fine. It's just such a large peppering once they get there you don't get big numbers out of it.

I like the ship. I just feel like I'm hand-throwing gravel at long distances. And oddly, the bullets are little tiny dots on the screen whereas the Mogami are big honkin' balls of fire !

it seems like it but the armor pen on the tirpitz guns are ridiculous, makes every other battleship look like they have toy guns. along with being faster than any other battleship and having torps, the tirpitz is still scary.

I'll admit I'm not very good but I find it really hard to hit anything with the Tirpitz beyond 16-18 km or so despite the 21 km stated range so I don't even try I put in a catapult fighter since the spotter is useless tp me and Tirpitz is airplane food. The grouping on the turrets is not great but firing one at a time helps sometimes. Tirpitz does make lots of silver though. Have a hard time hitting anything with torpedos since you seldom get to use them and DDs and cruisers are so quick. Only time I really have luck torpedoing anyone is on the island maps where you hide behind an island and torpedo someone as they round the corner.

I'll admit I'm not very good but I find it really hard to hit anything with the Tirpitz beyond 16-18 km or so despite the 21 km stated range so I don't even try I put in a catapult fighter since the spotter is useless tp me and Tirpitz is airplane food. The grouping on the turrets is not great but firing one at a time helps sometimes. Tirpitz does make lots of silver though. Have a hard time hitting anything with torpedos since you seldom get to use them and DDs and cruisers are so quick. Only time I really have luck torpedoing anyone is on the island maps where you hide behind an island and torpedo someone as they round the corner.

Switch your spotter for a fighter, it is more useful IMO.

Torps are for charging other BB's, I got an Amagi and a NC the other day for a double strike. Torp'ed both of the one from each side. The secondaries got the NC and I finished off the Amagi.

You would be amazed how many players forgot you have torps in ranked I definitely find them useful.

Back