World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

Slightly OT, but fascinating.

There must have been more than one Murmansk. This one was launched in 1955 I believe.

This is the most frustrating season of ranked EVER. I have to be loosing 10 to 1, and I've been stuck at 15/0 stars for a week !

You just wouldn't think you could possibly lose so man games. Those that make it to level 1 are not only epic aliens at the game, but they have something figured out that most don't.

This is the most frustrating season of ranked EVER. I have to be loosing 10 to 1, and I've been stuck at 15/0 stars for a week !

You just wouldn't think you could possibly lose so man games. Those that make it to level 1 are not only epic aliens at the game, but they have something figured out that most don't.

I had a 6 game streak of losing, after a 4 win streak, it's odd for sure.

I went one game in the dez, 120k, 20 cap resets and a solo cap, we lost and i still got 2nd =( wtfffff

So I decided to build a WOT / WOWS box for my 9 year old Nephew. I had an nForce 730i socket 775 board, 2x1 gb DDR2, and e7400 Core 2 Duo laying around which I took out of a friends old system. Had an old HD7970 GHZ edition sitting in my desk gathering dust.

Put everything together and just couldn't get 1080p running acceptably. WOTs really kicked this system in the nads hard, with WOWS it did ok until someone popped smoke and then the frames would nose dive to the 30's and below. Even lowering the settings didn't seem to help a great deal. CPU utilization was maxed.

Decided to buy a really cheap q9550 and 2x4gb from ebay. The performance was much better, but smoke still caused a huge performance hit and I had to run medium settings. In the end I didn't find the minimum fps acceptable.

Took a trip to Microcenter and picked up an Asus Crosshair VI Hero Wifi, a Ryzen 1600, and 2x4 gb DDR4. I can now run WOWS with both forms of anti aliasing and nearly every setting at maximum, with frames that stay around 60 and reach into the 70's.

In WOT I lowered one or two settings like water quality a notch down from maximum and disabled motion blur because I hate it, and it's getting a consistent 60 to 70fps with aniso and AA.

When I started this process it was just to get him in the game with us, then I started wondering how much juice the 7970 had left in it. I was very pleasantly surprised by that card. Took the system over to him last night and the smiles per dollar value was off the charts.

No matter how much you play a game, you always learn some thing new from time to time.

I have NO doubt that I'm way late to the game on this one, but...

One of the things I've always been best at in WoWs is aiming. I've always done it by feel, never really any calculations.

Until this week, I had NFI obout the time relationship of the reticle scale, and the flight time indicator. It just never clicked with me.

Now I do :)

And I just installed the NomoGram scale. Less math :)

View attachment 100215

Dynamic Crosshair and TTT indicator for the Win!

May have found my ranked ship. But we still lost. FUCK

upload_2018-9-2_13-30-1.png

So I decided to build a WOT / WOWS box for my 9 year old Nephew. I had an nForce 730i socket 775 board, 2x1 gb DDR2, and e7400 Core 2 Duo laying around which I took out of a friends old system. Had an old HD7970 GHZ edition sitting in my desk gathering dust.

Put everything together and just couldn't get 1080p running acceptably. WOTs really kicked this system in the nads hard, with WOWS it did ok until someone popped smoke and then the frames would nose dive to the 30's and below. Even lowering the settings didn't seem to help a great deal. CPU utilization was maxed.

Decided to buy a really cheap q9550 and 2x4gb from ebay. The performance was much better, but smoke still caused a huge performance hit and I had to run medium settings. In the end I didn't find the minimum fps acceptable.

Took a trip to Microcenter and picked up an Asus Crosshair VI Hero Wifi, a Ryzen 1600, and 2x4 gb DDR4. I can now run WOWS with both forms of anti aliasing and nearly every setting at maximum, with frames that stay around 60 and reach into the 70's.

In WOT I lowered one or two settings like water quality a notch down from maximum and disabled motion blur because I hate it, and it's getting a consistent 60 to 70fps with aniso and AA.

When I started this process it was just to get him in the game with us, then I started wondering how much juice the 7970 had left in it. I was very pleasantly surprised by that card. Took the system over to him last night and the smiles per dollar value was off the charts.

yeah the new engine for WoT is pretty nice.

I've been starting every ranked game by begging my team to stick together, to strictly focus on two caps and completely ignore the other, with the goal of letting the other team divide itself so we can clear our caps with focused fire and then pick off the remnants one by one as they approach.

For example, on Sleeping Giant get everyone to head to what I've marked as "A", then immediately push for "B". Ignore C, let the other team divide itself. DD's smoke for the fleet at A, then sail right out of the smoke and provide eyes for the guys using your smoke. I specifically inform that that I'll cover them with smoke. I've found that 99% of the time this is more of a plan than the other team comes up with and that the enemy DD's don't usually support their fleet consistently. Personally, I don't even want to see one of our DD's even head to C. Imo it's much better to keep both DD's with the fleet, smoking for them, spotting for them, and torp wall area denying.

xpbhbc.png

Last edited:
i just don't say anything in the chat because 9 times out of 10 they do the exact opposite. but i hit rank 10, got my flag so i don't give a crap about ranked anymore this season.

but yeah going to C on that map is a waste especially on the north side.. only ship i'd ever send there is a khab and only after knowing where all the cruisers/bb's are since a khab will shit on any DD it comes across.

i just don't say anything in the chat because 9 times out of 10 they do the exact opposite. but i hit rank 10, got my flag so i don't give a crap about ranked anymore this season.

but yeah going to C on that map is a waste especially on the north side.. only ship i'd ever send there is a khab and only after knowing where all the cruisers/bb's are since a khab will shit on any DD it comes across.

A good half the time I take my yammy in there since squishy cruisers usually end up there lol. I also like just east of C for broadsides into A... I take the Yammy mid map on a lot of maps for that reason. Surprisingly the dds generally ignore me.

I agree I don’t say anything in chat. If they are good players they already know what to do and the bad ones don’t listen. I go where I feel comfortable and have something to potentially screen me. I like to rush caps with the dds at match start.

Last edited:
So far I've had very good luck with regards to people listening and cooperating. I'm going to say much better than I expected.

AND, drum roll please!

Carrier Rework - A First Look

Captains!

It's been a long time in the making, and now the World of Warships development team is finally ready to show off the fruits of their labour! Join us on Twitch for a breakdown of the info as it comes in, and maybe catch a glimpse of something more...

Stream starts: Mon. Sep. 03 17:00 CET (UTC+1) / your local time: Mon. Sep. 03 11:00

Twitch

Please note: the stream is in English only.

Link, https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/general-news/carrier-on-my-wayward-pun/

3 years of them saying it's coming, i'll wait til it's actually in the game..

Holy shit, they're changing everything. We're going to be seeing a massive shift in the meta. It's part World of Warplanes now. No playable fighters, they're a skill now. Attack planes with rockets now.

Last edited:
OMG the comments. Prime Example:

"didn't really come to WoWs to play WoWp...."

I've been starting every ranked game by begging my team to stick together, to strictly focus on two caps and completely ignore the other, with the goal of letting the other team divide itself so we can clear our caps with focused fire and then pick off the remnants one by one as they approach.

For example, on Sleeping Giant get everyone to head to what I've marked as "A", then immediately push for "B". Ignore C, let the other team divide itself. DD's smoke for the fleet at A, then sail right out of the smoke and provide eyes for the guys using your smoke. I specifically inform that that I'll cover them with smoke. I've found that 99% of the time this is more of a plan than the other team comes up with and that the enemy DD's don't usually support their fleet consistently. Personally, I don't even want to see one of our DD's even head to C. Imo it's much better to keep both DD's with the fleet, smoking for them, spotting for them, and torp wall area denying.

View attachment 101078

This tells me that the MM is, indeed, involved in this fuck story. Somehow.

Holy shit talk about sad. The game never even lasted long enough for me to rack up any real damage, and I STILL came out #1

upload_2018-9-3_15-10-0.png

Those torp bombers on the new carriers seem broken as hell. The whole.things seem kind of neat but broken in the current form.

From the looks of it they're getting away from a single strike, high alpha approach and the same squad(s) are doing multiple attacks at a lower alpha. If that's the case then cool, I'm willing to see how it actually plays.

From the looks of it they're getting away from a single strike, high alpha approach and the same squad(s) are doing multiple attacks at a lower alpha. If that's the case then cool, I'm willing to see how it actually plays.

it fixes one problem but opens the door to to many other issues with the mechanics of the game..

Like? I think it's a good move, however it will change the whole df mechanic

the biggest one is BB damage control.. get a flood on the first drop.. wait 30 seconds flood on the second drop, dead BB. this will be heavily abused by fishing divs in T4-8 especially with the premium CV's.

the biggest one is BB damage control.. get a flood on the first drop.. wait 30 seconds flood on the second drop, dead BB. this will be heavily abused by fishing divs in T4-8 especially with the premium CV's.

How is that different now? A competent CV player , if they can't outright dev strike usually staggers their drops if there is no AA cover to inflict flooding/fire damage.

Also, it seemed that the torps hit for much less damage per torp.

Those torp bombers on the new carriers seem broken as hell. The whole.things seem kind of neat but broken in the current form.

Looks pretty damn easy! At least they have the damage potential spread out over time instead of devastating strikes. That is a welcome change to me. I've always hated the "ship deleted" in a split second aspect of WoWs.

Yeah, I like this change. I wish it would be worked into ship play as well. Detonations just piss me right off.

Like? I think it's a good move, however it will change the whole df mechanic

AA is gonna change drastically.

Actually pairing up AA ships to high priority targets is probably going to become more important.

DD's without AA are fucked :)

i will say though the new carrier play will actually make me want to try playing carriers.

it fixes one problem but opens the door to to many other issues with the mechanics of the game..

Always will.

I don't care to see any more footage from the dev team beyond what was already shown because that happens in a vacuum. I want to see how players can abuse and exploit the mechanics because that's seemingly all people want to do when playing CV. It's sure as hell what it feels like when playing against them. But the more that gets caught early on the better and smoother the release will be.

Also, on the topic of carriers, here's a new high base xp score and new high for planes shot down with the ATL so yay, take that!
dx27Cv7.jpg

Vp7iyRE.jpg

aS3YphG.jpg

Not running my full AA build but instead IFHE for this one.

Did they change the Ramming mechanic? I rammed a yamato, with my yamato, and did only 17k damage :X

and a fking loss, in ranked, 240k. I think i was 600+ points over #2 on that game.\

shot-18.09.05_21.42.42-0932.jpg

Last edited:
Ranked can just kiss my ass. 4 times I've been 1 star away from 12, then knocked back to 15. This shit just isn't mathematically possible without some sort of help from within.

Ranked can just kiss my ass. 4 times I've been 1 star away from 12, then knocked back to 15. This shit just isn't mathematically possible without some sort of help from within.

I came to that conclusion a long time ago, 2 seasons ago I think it was. Think I got rank 5, and then it all went to shit. Fucked ranked.

Season 9, 3.6% of ranked participants reached ranked one.

Source: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-9-results/

3,346 achieved Jolly Roger 1

1530 achieved Jolly Roger 2

993 received Flint

949 received Jolly Roger #3

766 received Black

533 received Jolly Roger 4

217 received Jolly Roger 5

As you can see from the statistics of how many people received Jolly Roger flags 1 though 5, the number of people ranking out in more than one season drops like a rock. Which makes me conclude that most people rank out once, get that flag, and then don't give a shit about ranking out ever again. And now WG says that this is the last season that the Pirate flag will be rewarded for ranking out.

Personally, I feel as thought the entire thing is at least some small part marketing scam. Ok, scam isn't the right word. But in other words, WG can offer illustrious prizes which in reality 99+% of the player base will never see. Meanwhile they benefit from more than 200,000 people grinding like worn out brake pads (and many of them converting xp) to prepare for ranked. I myself converted XP to obtain the Haragumo and some of the XP I used to research the Woorster.

Ranked season 8, 2.21% reached rank one.

Ranked season 7, 2.67% reached rank one.

It's just not worth the cancerous grind, simple as that.

Fuck the entire concept of losing stars when you can't pick your teammates, when you ask the team for "the call" and you get responses like, "Kill Shit", and when someone actually does call it you get that one or two non team players who head off to die alone, or a BB who won't tank even the slightest amount of damage. It's like trying to win the Super Bowl with guys you just met a minute ago in the parking lot.

Not having voice chat at this point is also just plain silly. I know not everyone likes it, but how the fuck are you supposed to coordinate a team that JUST met each other in an efficient manner? I'm usually too GD busy to be typing in a little box (all the while accidentally firing off smoke rings, AA support and whatever else the hell I hit by accident in the process. Admit it. You do it too LOL)

There's always the mute button if you don't want to be a team player.

While I'm on the stump, this whole "anniversary" thing and crates. Is this not the most boring 'event' ever in the history of WoWs?

I mean, it's "1 flag, 8 steel, duplicate thingamafucker". Every time. Without fail.

I Thought there was voice chat?

Anyway, I'm 1 star from 5, then the real pain begins! Though I can def agree Ranked has gotten harder, If I when I rank out, I Get the black this season :D

Voice chat only works in..... shit. I forget the name of it and I’m not at my desk right now. The thing where up to 3 people join together.

Did they change the Ramming mechanic? I rammed a yamato, with my yamato, and did only 17k damage :X

and a fking loss, in ranked, 240k. I think i was 600+ points over #2 on that game.\

nope, he had the ramming flag on, lol.. i ran it every game in my yammy because i got sick of jackasses being shit at the game, realizing they miss positioned and just ran straight at me for the easy damage.

Back