World Of Warcraft Showcased At Computer History Museum

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’m not allergic to MMORPGs or anything (I used to play SW:TOR and FFXIV: ARR a lot), but strangely, I never got into WoW. Despite that, I’m aware of the cultural impact that the franchise has had, even beyond the gaming industry, so it is no surprise to me that the Computer History Museum decided to feature the series in its “Make Software: Change the World!” exhibit, which was built to “show how software engineers, programmers, and other innovators have changed the world with software.”

Chris Garcia helped curate the display on World of Warcraft, which also has a history of online games that shows the boxes for many of the predecessors of World of Warcraft. Those games include Zork, one of the earliest interactive fiction computer games that debuted in 1980. Other games on display include Dungeons & Dragons, The Lord of the Rings, Ultima Online, EverQuest, and others. “World of Warcraft is a virtual world,” Garcia said. “It’s really a fascinating realm. Video games are a $100 billion a year industry. The thing about Warcraft is it is an ecosystem of technology, entertainment, human relationships, and art. That art is created out of the community. It takes a life of its own that is really important. We could have done the whole exhibit just on World of Warcraft and I would have loved to.”

Last edited:
Back