World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I'm curious who else here is going to be playing in the new expansion, and what your thoughts are. Shadowlands is going to be released on October 26th. The 9.0 patch will come a few weeks or a month before that, introducing all of the mechanical changes (both gameplay changes and changes to the game engine) before the new expansion content is actually released.

I'm excited that they are going to be using Ray Tracing now. I *almost* went with a 1080ti instead of a 2080 the last time I did a videocard upgrade, and now I'm really glad that I went with the 2080 since this is by far the game I sink the most time into. Many who aren't familiar with the game talk about how old it is, as if nothing has changed over the years. In reality, it's pretty amazing that the game has evolved from something that used to be able to run on a Voodoo3 or TNT2 into something that now uses DX12 and Ray Tracing. I've been playing on the Beta and the performance impact from enabling Ray Tracing is actually pretty small. They have also introduced dynamic video settings, where you can set a FPS target and some settings will automatically lower themselves if/when you fall below that FPS target. That is great because static settings don't make sense in all situations. The game can become quite bogged down in content with 25+ people when it's trying to display every single animation from every single spell/ability that every single person is using, as it typically would with all settings at maximum.

I'm not sold on some of the new talent and spell changes, as well as new systems like covenants. But that's pretty much always my reaction at the beginning of a new expansion.

Starfalcon

Limp Gawd
Ive been playing wow since 2005, and have played every expansion on the same toon, my undead rogue. I am expecting a big meh this expansion as there are a ton of things they have already messed up like last exp, and sure to be more that are found as the expansion goes on. BFA pretty much killed my guild that I had been in since BC and I have pretty much gone full casual now. Hard to say if I will find anything interesting to do this expansion, or if my guild will come back....dont have high hopes for either.

Mehphisto

Weaksauce
I will be playing. Played since early BC and have always played each expansion, WOTLK is my personal favorite and the only time I seriously raided. Legion for me was the worst, I did not like artifact weapons and the grind for power. Legion was the only expansion where I didn't get every class to max level. BFA was a letdown because it was less battle for azeroth and more, Horde has a bad leader we have to crush, but oh wait, there are other bad guys... I wanted a real battle... Horde vs Alliance. Towards the end here I have every class at max level again, and several duos between Horde and Alliance, something I have never really done. 2 mages, 2 priests, 5 hunters, 3 shamans, 2 demon hunters cross factions. the rest of my max levels are Alliance. But I am looking forward to SL, always the optimist.

Starfalcon

Limp Gawd
I am at least glad they pushed the launch back, as we can not have another disaster of the scale of BFA. Have to see if they are able to get the interlocked mess of SL systems working in a non broken way though. I have some moderate hope they can get this expansion working, as the game cant take another bad expansion tanking subs. At least my collectors edition will be early, so I wont need to buy a digital version like the last few launches.

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
I’ve been playing on and off since 2005. Played through Cata non-stop and have played a few months of every expansion since. I’ll probably end up buying SL, leveling to max level, run the first raid and then quit after a couple months. I did that with BFA. Classic WoW held my interest much longer, played it exactly for a year before quitting. Much more excited for TBC Classic.

Nebell

[H]ard|Gawd
Another old school player. Casual now.
Definitely going to start with the pre-patch. I have not played the beta. I know nothing about the zones, nothing about the lore. I have not played for the last year and besides a cinematic here and there, I don't know much about the story.
It will be fun to explore everything without being spoiled.
However I did check out before and after Ray Tracing and it's nothing special. Barely any difference.

BUT!
I am currently playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. I think I sunk some €100 into that game a week ago. And it's actually quite fun. The visuals are better than WoW and I really need a good MMORPG with nice visuals. Tired of WoW stretched out textures and 2005 visuals in many places. Creds to the team keeping it good looking for so many years, but the game is slowly getting to a point where I won't tolerate it anymore.
I will buy Shadowlands and 6 month sub. New World should come out just around when my sub expires. I'm looking forward to it but I'm carefully optimistic.

Last edited:

Chelica

2[H]4U
I joined back a few months back to level up all the characters. I think I'm ready to rock/roll. I'm having a lot more fun playing the game casually if anything.